"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-06-2005, 11:04 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Correct me if I'm wrong - but I am not a fan of buying their warranties because most everything is already covered. It's not like if you don't buy you aren't going to have a warranty.

I like Sears, Lowes, or Home Depot. We have a lot of Kenmore appliances and Whirlpool. I don't think you can go wrong with either of those. You just have to look for what you can live with. If you have a large platter that you would LIKE to put in your fridge but can't now measure it and see if it fits in one at the store. I will NEVER have a side by side again - even the offset ones, though that does help!!!

Too many bells and whistles are just more bells and whistles to malfunction (some of them anyway - not necessarily all of them). You'll do fine ITK - you want me to keep the X out of your fridge??? I'll be glad to!!!!!!!!!! Mine doesn't get in the fridge he just comes in and uses my child to break doors (now THAT went over well).

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 09:05 AM   #12
Executive Chef

kitchenelf

Looks like you know what I am talking about! What kind do you have now? Is it one with the freezer on the bottom? I am sorry to be so ignorant but unless you have experience with these you have no clue what to expect. As Dove suggested she would get freezer on the bottom. DidI tell you they have 25' Amana with freezer on the bottom? These things are not something you can return unless you really want a headache with the company and saving your food. I am so not looking forward to all this. I do hate this side by side. Although the salesman said it has same room as the one with freezer on the bottom. Is he telling me the truth? I will always uphold someone who is honest with me. I think this is dying art don't you?

Old 06-07-2005, 10:23 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Man: Doctor, my wife thinks she's a refrigerator!

Psychiatrist: Don't worry, it will pass.

Man: But, Doctor, when she sleeps with her mouth open that darn light keeps me awake!
Old 06-08-2005, 08:08 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Good One

Thanks mish, I feel that way myself. Always feel the door is open and I can't put the light out. I needed this. Thanks for giving me a laugh when I think things so serious. Spending money is one thing we don't have to do. Especially when you take coupons to the grocery store and save 10 cents. You took some of the anxiety out of my day.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:08 AM   #15
Executive Chef

You're Welcome, ITK. Glad I could bring a smile.
Old 06-09-2005, 01:57 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Three Inches

Between Whirlpool and Amana 3 inches. Whirlpool people say it is the best but only 22' Amana 25'. Does 3 inches make big difference? Said if I want icemaker additional charge plus plumber. Hate to bother with details but I respect your advice. YOu all know best. Also has anyone put refrigerator in garage rather than the basement? No one wants to go down there for me and takes time. Appreciate understanding. The salespeople all say side by side best seller. May be but no room. Oh, thanks.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:20 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I personally couldn't live without my icemaker - well, I could but I wouldn't like it.

I'm not sure about the 3" - if you have the room I'd go for it. Also, I know several people that have a spare refrigerator in their garage. I'd say it would be much handier than in the basement.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 06:51 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Garage

I surely would rather have it in garage. I would like to make some kind of change with new refrigerator. Like having a new baby. Want everything perfect . Am I silly or what? It doesn't work so I have to get different. I am just thankful can get one.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:49 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Got It

Amana Freezer on the bottom with icemaker. Now to get plumber for the hook up of the icemaker. Wow what a purchase. Bought it from Sears with service contract, advised me to since icemaker may give problems and costly. The saleperson was a young girl whose mother had 8 kids. Mother did all of the cooking and has side by side. Since I already had one and know how I hate it I will put it in basement in place of the one down there that has stopped working after more than 50 years. They said average of them working today is only most 20 years. Now to get the boxes cleaned out and ready for them. Hope they get through the doors. Does anything ever have not problem? Hope this all goes well. Thanks for all your comments. I sure needed them and respect them. Did I say they are delivering tomorrow? I want this over with.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:49 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Protection Plan

Someone said they weren't fond of the Protection Plan from Sears. Well, now the family said they don't want it. I called to tell her that I didn't want it and she kind of got disappointed. I really don't like to make someone upset but if they don't want to take it should be their choice. I hope I don't get charged for it after I said I would take it. That is what happens when you are alone and no one to give you advice. I did remember about someone saying something here about not getting it but then I also recall my brother telling me about the icemaker going broke. Too many 'ifs'. Thanks for helping me. I have to reread this thread when I get done.l Always in a hurry.