"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-19-2016, 06:28 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Regarding Condiments

When it comes to condiments, do you buy the brand name, or another store brand because it maybe be on sale or because you think they all taste the same?

For me, it doesn't matter when it comes to ketchup. I feel they all pretty much taste the same, and I buy whatever is on sale, or what ever is cheaper cost-wise.

When it comes to mustard, especially yellow prepared mustard, it doesn't matter what brand I choose, and again, I feel they all pretty much tastes the same, and I buy what's on sale, or which is the cheaper brand. But... when it comes to honey mustard or Dijon mustard, I only buy the brand name such as French's or Grey Poupn, as I think they do taste better than the other brands.

When it comes to barbecue sauce, I prefer Sweet Baby Ray's, but I have been known to also purchase Hunts, KC Masterpiece, and Kraft's Barbecue Sauce, as they are nice and thick and tangy like Sweet Baby Ray's is. Our stores always seem to have the Sweet Baby Ray's on sale more than all the other brands, so I'll stock up on it.

As for salad dressing or mayonnaise, I usually buy Hellmann's, as one of our stores always has an in store coupon for the product (2/$300) several times a month, so that's when I purchase it. I seldom see Kraft's Mayonnaise on sale anywhere, but when it is I buy it, as I like how it tastes, and I have found it's not as oily as the Hellmann's is. But... as for Kraft's Miracle Whip Salad Dressing, that's one condiment both my husband and I dislike (taste-wise), and I much prefer the Burman's Salad Dressing which I purchase at the Aldi's store.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:45 PM   #2
Senior Cook

I always buy Hellmann's (it's called Best Foods here). I don't think the others are even close.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:47 PM   #3
Head Chef

I make our mayo or I buy what is on sale. It just depends on if I need it, if it needs to be made with olive oil or not, if I'm not feeling that energetic, and whether I need more than a cup for a recipe, or if it has to last in the refrigerator (as my homemade stuff only lasts a week).
Our Ketchup is made by the Bliss Co.
Our salad dressings also made by the Bliss Co.
Our mustard, which I've tried to make, wasn't that good, so I buy what is finely ground and on sale.
Our bbq sauce is made by the Bliss Co. ;)

I used to work at a company that bottled KC Masterpiece, the company sent us the recipe, the ingredients, the times and temperatures, and it was mixed in a HUGE caldron, boiling away, about 15 feet up. The guys that stirred it used these huge wooden paddles, like canoe paddles, and they were dressed in white, hats, beard and mustache protectors, very hygienic. Then it was piped into the bottling machines, down hill, put in bottles and a label was smacked on it before the cases were filled. Quite the operation.

(the Bliss Co. is a very small operation headed by me, bliss heh)
Old 08-19-2016, 07:03 PM   #4
Head Chef

We use Kraft mayo unless it's something special and then I'll make mayo. Mustard, we have Frenchs for things like hot dogs or a couple of recipes we make that call for it specifically. We also have Grey Poupon plus a couple of variety mustards that are made by some German name sounding company. I have made specially flavored mustards for a charcuterie plate on occasion. Ketchup is whichever of the 2 big national brands is on sale since it doesn't get used much here.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:04 PM   #5
Wine Guy

With the exception of Heinz ketchup Worcestershire, and a few specialty Asian products, pretty much every condiment in my fridge is homemade. Looking in the fridge right now, I've got homemade salad dressings, hot sauces, salsa, pickle relish, mustard, BBQ sauce, sour cream, and mayo.

Mayonnaise, in particular, is one of those things I will never ever buy again. If people only knew how easy to make and delicious homemade mayo is, I'm convinced there wouldn't be much of a market for the commercial stuff. It's a completely different taste experience: creamy, light, and tangy, without any of the cooked egg-iness of Hellman's or Kraft. I could honestly sit down and eat it by the spoonful.

Sour cream I just recently started making. 1 cup of cream and a quarter cup of existing sour cream (or buttermilk, if you don't have that) is all it takes.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:26 PM   #6
Master Chef

Mayo - Best Foods only

Mustards - French's yellow, Grey Poupon Dijon, and Inglehoffer stone ground

Pickle relish - Heinz sweet, but I've made my own

BBQ sauce - Bulls-Eye Hickory Smoked, but don't use it much and sometimes I make my own

Salsa - I make pico de gallo, haven't bought salsa in years

Ketchup - none

Typically in my fridge are Asian bottled sauces, Worcestershire, Tapatio hot sauce, chili sauce, cocktail sauce, etc...etc...

Steve....I'm interested in the process you use to make sour cream using cream and existing SC....how long does it take and how do you do it? TIA. :-)
Old 08-19-2016, 08:27 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Hellmanns Real Mayonnaise
Heinz Ketchup
French's Yellow Mustard
French's Brown Mustard (I used to buy Gulden's but their squeeze bottle sucks).
Bullseye Original BBQ Sauce, or SBR's
Cain's Sweet Relish
Old El Paso Pickled Jalapeños
Lea&Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
Old 08-19-2016, 08:29 PM   #8
Head Chef

I know a condiment joke, anyone want to hear it?
Old 08-19-2016, 08:32 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
I know a condiment joke, anyone want to hear it?
I'm running a little behind. Can you wait until I ketchup?
Old 08-19-2016, 08:37 PM   #10
Head Chef

I smiled, that was pretty good! I'm especially fond of lame jokes, thinking jokes (where people actually have to think), puns, math jokes, and musical jokes. I tell lame jokes, and I like the other kinds.