Regional annoyances

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
KellyM said:
All I'm trying to say is that people should be polite when they go to where other people live, and not tell them how much better things are where they come from.

We live in a real world, and unfortunately we continue to run into rude, inconsiderate people every day. They could say or treat you in much worse way than bragging about their own food.

You only need to apply certain philosophy into this... just interpret "the best" or "better" they use referring their own food as "different".

Drama Queen said:
First off let me tell you that I think Seatte is one of the most fabulous cities in the country. We spent 5 months in Issaquah and couldnt stay away from the city. No fresh fish in Seattle? They've got to be kidding. Some of the best fish and oysters we've ever eaten was in the Seattle area, As for pizza, that's a very personal opinion. I've sat next to friends who said "this is the best pizza I've ever had" and thought to myself, "this is just as mediocre as it can get."
As for chili over noodles, this is more a midwestern thing and it's called Chili Size in restaurants. If people want to put chili over noodles, let them, I love it and make it that way at home sometimes. Every region has it's own "thing" that is considered the best and that makes traveling so much more interesting. Don't let the critics bother you. Unfortunately Las Vegas, where I live, isn't famous for anything but gambling, but in Michigan where I spend my summers the fruits and veggies are to die for. Doesn't mean there isn't good produce in other parts of the country. :)

Drama Queen,

Thanks for that. Issaquah is pretty nice, isn't it? As to the Chili thing, I was just using that as an example. Unfortunately, I seem to have opened a bigger can of worms than I intended.

You know, I hear the one thing Las Vegas is famous for food-wise is cheap buffets and the like, but that is going back a few years. Is this still the case? I've never been to Vegas, but I had a buddy who lived there for a while many years ago. He did everything from pipe-fitting to limo-driving to being a stuntman in a wild-west show. He was the one who told me about the cheap eats.

And yes, pizza is pretty subjective, isn't it?

Kelly

Ishbel said:
Can I tell you that I was recently in an hotel in Perth. When I was half way through breakfast, a group of young Americans came in, clutching their boxes of Kellogg's cereals, brought all the way from the US.... Yep, exactly the SAME cereals that were standing on the buffet. Now that REALLY annoyed me....!!! :)

Ishbel,

Yes! Finally someone who understands!

Their apparent attitude was "Our Kellog's Cornflakes are better than yours!"

That is the attitude that offends me!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Kelly

Nononononooooooooooo

You misunderstand me - on listening to their conversation, they hadn't expected there to be ANY Kellogg's products available...... :)

I understand that kelly. I'm from Memphis and think we have the best BBQ (because we do, he he he) but it does tick me off when someone from kansas city says they have the best and ours sucks JUST because they are partial to their region. I also like BBQ from KC a lot of people wouldn't say that even if they did like it, so i understand from that perspective.

urmaniac13 said:
We live in a real world, and unfortunately we continue to run into rude, inconsiderate people every day. They could say or treat you in much worse way than bragging about their own food.

You only need to apply certain philosophy into this... just interpret "the best" or "better" they use referring their own food as "different".

Agreed. But if we never say anything, many may never even have any idea they are being rude.

Ishbel said:
Nononononooooooooooo

You misunderstand me - on listening to their conversation, they hadn't expected there to be ANY Kellogg's products available...... :)

I have witnessed similar things, but rather than being offended, I feel sorry for people like that. By religiously sticking to the only thing they know instead of trying out something new in a new place, they never realise what they may be missing out on.

The Z said:
Kelly... In my opinion, it seems that you're doing the very thing that you're complaining about. I don't think there's "one singular right way" of doing anything. I have an open mind, especially where cooking is concerned. This is something you seem to be advocating in one breath... and then stating that "pasta ain't part of [good chili]". That is your opinion, but you seem to be stating it as fact..

Granted and admitted, but I was kidding when I made that particular remark about chili and pasta. I'm sorry if it didn't come across that way. If you could have seen my face when I was typing it, I'm sure you would have gotten the fact that I meant it as humor. As it is, I have to rely on smiley faces to tell people when I am not being serious, and I'm apparently not too good at it at this point. Point taken, and I'll work on this.

I also don't think there is any "one singular right way" of doing anything, and this is precisely my point. And I think this is a wonderful thing. Where would we be in the good old USA, or indeed the world, without regional differences? Every country has regional differences.

For example, I regularly make what one of my Mexican buddies calls "pico de gallo", which is a valid name in parts of Northern Mexico, but most of Mexico calls it "Salsa Mexicana." And when you go from region to region, most have their variations, depending upon what produce grows locally. It would be very rude for me to venture into one of the parts of Mexico that does it differently than I do, and tell them they do it wrong. Also, "pico de gallo" in many parts of Mexico is composed largely of jicama, which has nothing to do with the salsa I make. Who is right, and who is wrong? Both, and neither.

All I'm saying to the world in general is please be polite, and don't barge into someone else's vicinity, and tell them how they do everything wrong.

urmaniac13 said:
I have witnessed similar things, but rather than being offended, I feel sorry for people like that. By religiously sticking to the only thing they know instead of trying out something new in a new place, they never realise what they may be missing out on.

I agree, Licia. I wouldn't think of taking food with me to a foreign country. Part of the fun of visiting a new place is trying their foods, especially their specialties. How boring to go to, say, Italy and eat at McDonalds.

Ishbel said:
Nononononooooooooooo

Oh. How disappointing. My mistake. :)

But anyway, who would want to take Kellogs products to your wonderful country instead of sampling the things available for breakfast there? I for one just don't get that at all!

I've actually talked to people who have toured the UK and Europe, and ate at McDonalds the whole time! You can't really get to know the people of a given region unless you eat their food, and what a wondrous opportunity they passed up!

Kelly

I understand you now, when i first read the thread all i could see was:angry: it is much clearer now :cool:

Andy M. said:
Part of the fun of visiting a new place is trying their foods, especially their specialties. How boring to go to, say, Italy and eat at McDonalds.
I couldn't agree more. My wife and I actually plan our vacations around food. That and the weather are the top things we consider when deciding where to go. We are looking forward to trips (eventually) to Greece, Spain, Africa, Israel, and many other places and you can be sure we will be eating the local specialties every chance we get!

Chef_Jimmy said:
I understand that kelly. I'm from Memphis and think we have the best BBQ (because we do, he he he) but it does tick me off when someone from kansas city says they have the best and ours sucks JUST because they are partial to their region. I also like BBQ from KC a lot of people wouldn't say that even if they did like it, so i understand from that perspective.

Jimmy,

NOW we're talkin' ! I'm glad we can see eye-to-eye on this one. I'm sorry if I worded my initial post and responses too poorly to get my true point across, and thanks for being patient with me. It's apparent you now understand what I was trying to say. Thanks for sticking with me.

So, a point of curiosity here. I seem to remember that the trend in KC vs. Memphis BBQ is sweet vs. vinegar in BBQ sauce.? I could have this backwards, or just plain all wrong, but this is the first time I've had the opportunity to chat with a Memphis BBQ expert, so would you please enlighten me? I'm eager to learn.

Kelly

Ishbel said:
Nononononooooooooooo

So Ishbel. Please tell me about haggis. I've never eaten it, but I am no stranger to eating the stomachs of various critters. I like Menudo, and Pho. Menudo contains beef stomach, and Pho, if properly made contains not only the stomach of whatever critter is available, but a good deal of other stuff most Americans wouldn't eat as well. I would love to try haggis someday! I really like new food experiences, and I'm not at all squeamish. I figure if people of a given region can eat it, it's probably not going to kill me either! :)

Kelly

Chef_Jimmy said:
I understand you now, when i first read the thread all i could see was:angry: it is much clearer now :cool:

Thanks, Jimmy. I'm glad of this. My intent is to make friends, not enemies.

Kelly

GB said:
I couldn't agree more. My wife and I actually plan our vacations around food. That and the weather are the top things we consider when deciding where to go. We are looking forward to trips (eventually) to Greece, Spain, Africa, Israel, and many other places and you can be sure we will be eating the local specialties every chance we get!

Hey GB,

I think the only place I might have a problem with is Greece, and I am probably wrong about this. All the Greek restaurants around here, however, seem to put vinegar in everything. Pasta salad, put vinegar in it. Sandwiches, put vinegar on them. Olives, soak 'em in vinegar until that is all they taste like. Salad, pizza, ice cream, lamb, apple pie, the more vinegar, the merrier.

I suppose, however, this could be like judging all of China based on a few local Cantonese restaurants. I would love to go to Greece and find out I'm wrong. I just couldn't stand meal after meal that tasted all the same, especially if they all tasted of vinegar.

Have you been there? has Anyone been there? Please tell me I'm wrong!

Kelly

KellyM said:
Hey GB,

I think the only place I might have a problem with is Greece, and I am probably wrong about this. All the Greek restaurants around here, however, seem to put vinegar in everything. Pasta salad, put vinegar in it. Sandwiches, put vinegar on them. Olives, soak 'em in vinegar until that is all they taste like. Salad, pizza, ice cream, lamb, apple pie, the more vinegar, the merrier...

Lemon, maybe but vinegar?

Hopz said:
There ARE regional differences, usually based on historical ethnic migration patterns and availability of food supply.

But people in some places are just "naturally" better at some things than people in others. Here in Utah for instance they make the best Green Jello in the world... and probably as much of it as the rest of the world too.

LOL! Thanks for that. You seem to have the same sense of humor that a couple of cowboy buddies of mine had. They were from Nephi. I really miss those guys! They moved back years ago. Couldn't take the traffic out here.

Kelly

KellyM said:
Hey GB,

I think the only place I might have a problem with is Greece, and I am probably wrong about this. All the Greek restaurants around here, however, seem to put vinegar in everything. Pasta salad, put vinegar in it. Sandwiches, put vinegar on them. Olives, soak 'em in vinegar until that is all they taste like. Salad, pizza, ice cream, lamb, apple pie, the more vinegar, the merrier.

I suppose, however, this could be like judging all of China based on a few local Cantonese restaurants. I would love to go to Greece and find out I'm wrong. I just couldn't stand meal after meal that tasted all the same, especially if they all tasted of vinegar.

Have you been there? has Anyone been there? Please tell me I'm wrong!

Kelly
That would kind of be like someone from Greece saying they don't want to come eat in America because we put ketchup on everything :LOL:

I have never been to Greece, but I can promise you that not everything would taste the same and not everything wouldhave vinegar.

Back
Top Bottom