Regional annoyances

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
skilletlicker said:
Kelly, This just my opinion, but I think your brush might be a little broad. More than a few times I've sat at a picnic table while a Texan and a Tennessean argued passionately about whether it was brisket or pork butt that was just a waste of a good smoke oven. I've never heard any malice in these discussions. Just friendly rivalry and pride of place.

In fact I think the influences that homogenize the pallet are much stronger and regional differences need to be cherished and preserved.

The snoot nosed disdain of some visitors, that is a mask for ignorance and intolerance is of course, what I think you meant in your post, and I agree that it's disgusting.

Skilletlicker,

I agree with you wholeheartedly. There is nothing at all wrong with friendly rivalry, and regional differences certainly need to be preserved. That is what makes the world an interesting place. How would it be, if everywhere you went, all you could find to eat were cheeseburgers?

Absolutely I was referring to the "Snoot-nosed disdain of visitors." This was pretty much my entire point, and I'm glad you caught it. Nice quote, too, by the way.

Kelly

Many years ago when I was in the Navy, I was shore-based in southern Spain for several years. When I first arrived it took a little time to wrap my palate around some of their regional specialties/delicacies (tapas, octopus, mussels, bocarones, gazpacho, sherry, ponchè, etc...). Once I did, however, I was able to laugh at new arrivals to the area and port visitors who complained that they were not able to find a decent burger/fries or pizza in this port/fishing village. Some even went so far as to pay squadron members (who flew frequently to Germany) good money to bring them McDonald's food.

LOL

I used to pity those fools.:ROFLMAO:

The moral of the story is: People develop their tastes in particular areas and it may take some time to discover/appreciate local cuisine.

Well, I visit Greece and the Greek islands on a fairly regular basis, and I find they tend to use lemon more than vinegar as the acidic part of dressings etc. Maybe this is a case of the Americanisation of Greek dishes?:)

BTW, if you do a search from the top bar, on haggis - there are LOADSA posts about it!

KellyM said:
Agreed. But if we never say anything, many may never even have any idea they are being rude.
I have found few, if any, occasions where, in retrospect, explaining a strangers rudeness to him was helpful to anyone.

Last edited:
I think a big factor is that some people expect things to taste different and welcome those differences, and some people expect things to taste like how they're used to, and they can't appreciate the differences and just deal with that's how it is.

I'm glad BBQ from North Carolina, Texas, Memphis, KC, etc. tastes different. I'm glad that pizza from NYC, Chicago, LA, etc. tastes different. It's gives each region it's own personality and makes life interesting. When I travel, the last thing I want to do is to find a restaurant that serves food similar to Hawaii or Los Angeles. I specifically seek out regional or ethnic restaurants because I want to taste what a particular area is known for.

If everything tasted the same, there would be no way to measure your likes or dislikes, and food would be so mundane.

But Kelly, you should give Seattle/Washington State more props. Besides the salmon, you have oysters, razor clams, halibut, trout, cherries, apples, mushrooms, microbrews, wine, etc. etc. When I was living there I loved the produce and meat/seafood selection that was available. There are also some very good new and established chefs there who do some exciting things with the local food products.

Last edited:
urmaniac13 said:
We all come from a different background, with different experiences and customs. And of course, every person has their own preferences. If someone thinks certain things is the best FOR HIM/HER, it doesn't mean that person is right or wrong in any absolute manner. It is just a personal opinion, which we all need to accept and respect, just as well as other people should with yours, if they don't particularly share your opinion.

You are right about the issue with pizzas in Italy, and here also there are lots of regional prides. But it should be more like a conversation piece with lots of positive stimulation, rather than a cause to pick a fight.

It doesn't mean we should argue and get hostile just because we don't share the same opinion upon certain things. Like GB pointed out, you never know, you may learn something new from these "different" people. Hey, the life may get easier and you will have a bit more peace of mind if you can ease up a bit more...

Well said, urmaniac.

Perhaps you should rename this topic a rave or regional differences. You mentioned:

"Okay, I'm from the Pacific Northwest. We don't claim to know much regarding food around here, aside from coffee, Pacific Salmon, Dungeness Crab, and maybe a couple of other things."

Can you share your recipes with us?

I see this forum as an exchange of cooking ideas and positive discussion. Something that "annoyed" me, were posts where members ask for suggestions for recipes, members shared ideas, and a reply like - let's call in an expert (let's just say, from Italy as an example). To me, that is rude, and
says, the rest of the world or members don't know how to cook Italian (again, just an example). Or replys like (not verbatim), certain members have proved from their track record (on this site) that one is more knowledgeable than another. Everyone here has something special to offer and share, as I see it.

BTW, I don't think that pizza originated in Italy. I'm sure someone will be along to debate pizza. I'm from NYC, btw, and it doesn't mean I can't match or make a better Italian dish than anyone living in Italy (just an example).

As far as being "annoyed" when someone mispronounces a dish, I've visited many restaurants with different cuisines, and if I mispronounce a dish, so be it. I'm there for the experience, and ALWAYS keep an open mind when it comes to cooking; and if anyone has a better idea on how to prepare a dish, or where to go, that they prefer, I'm all for it!

P.S. Again, btw, I grew up in NYC, a melting pot of cuisines and cultures -- not everyone prepares the same dish the same way... so 'regional' is what someone grew up with, and may improvise recipes from generations ago to suit one's taste.

Last edited:
I've been following this thread today, and I confess to some puzzlement. In my opinion, the only one suffering when you become annoyed is YOU.

I have seen topics come and go on this board, but this one baffles me. Not that I plan to shut it down at the moment, but it seems to have no purpose other than to complain. Even the Venting thread is there to engender support from others. If I didn't have to moderate here, I would ignore this thread entirely.

Alix said:
I've been following this thread today, and I confess to some puzzlement. In my opinion, the only one suffering when you become annoyed is YOU.

I have seen topics come and go on this board, but this one baffles me. Not that I plan to shut it down at the moment, but it seems to have no purpose other than to complain. Even the Venting thread is there to engender support from others. If I didn't have to moderate here, I would ignore this thread entirely.

Agreed here, Alix. I really fail to see the point here, other than complaining and no apparent direction of what the "point" is.

Then there is a mid-western city that claims to be the chili capital of the world, and yet they pour their "chili" over noodles

It's just something they're known for.

middie said:
Then there is a mid-western city that claims to be the chili capital of the world, and yet they pour their "chili" over noodles

It's just something they're known for.

It's pretty good over spaghetti squash as well.

middie said:
Ooh Mish that sounds pretty interesting

Middie, hope you give it a try. Put a dollup of sour cream on top, some chopped chives, and shredded cheddar or mexican cheese -- it's not pretty, but it's good.:LOL: That's from my regional kitchen. :LOL:

Oh, yeah, you can put the mixture back in the squash shells for a 'cleaner' presentation.

Last edited:
Alix said:

I guess it started out as a 'vent' about poor manners and then morphed into more of a celebration of regional cuisine diversity (that's how I see it anyway).

KellyM said:
Yes, but I wanted your take on it!

Kelly

Andmy 'take' is in those threads.... I eat haggis about once a fortnight in winter, but not in summer. It's a tasty dish, but many foreigners LOVE to say 'blechhhhh' without tasting it.

Have to agree with the Z. I think everyone is pretty much in agreement that regional distinctions should be appreciated and preserved, and that it's OK to "argue" good-naturedly about it. Think Kelly made it clear that he meant no hostility.

I'll be happy to discuss the superior merits of Chicago pizza and Memphis BBQ with anyone who cares to have a civilized discourse.

mudbug said:
I'll be happy to discuss the superior merits of Chicago pizza and Memphis BBQ with anyone who cares to have a civilized discourse.

I fail to comprehend how someone who believes that Chicago pizza and Memphis BBQ are 'superior' would be capable of civilized discourse, so I will respectfully decline.

I keed! I keed! :ROFLMAO:

Looks like we have a bit of Chicago bashing right here on this topic to me. I'm not from the city, but from a western suburb, but I don't happen to know of any Chicagoans who are braggarts like that. Not all Chicagoans are rude. Many of them are very nice people. We have some nice ones right here if I'm not mistaken.

I've also had marginal étouffée in New Orleans as well, but I don't claim that they as a city don't know how to make it there, unless I've tried a number of restaurants.

BC

:) The chili on pasta is a Cinncinatti Dish I had it a few times but did not care for it much as Im used to Texas Chili or New Mexico Chili both of those totally different. In Cinncinatti they put cinnamon or cloves in it.They serve it straight up or with pasta and or raw onions or some other stuff.In that city there are tons of places thet claim they make the best chili ,they even have chains that make it exclusively.
I dont care where you go there are going to be places not as good as others whether its pizza or other things.
What I hate is when a reaturant claims they make the best this or that and Im dissapointed.
I was really dissapointed in Chicago Pizza and believe me I tried alot of places the only pizza I liked was at a place called Home Run Pizza.
Also you cant believe what some might say about a great place to eat if they have no taste buds.

Back
Top Bottom