"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-22-2006, 11:32 AM   #31
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
Nononononooooooooooo

You misunderstand me - on listening to their conversation, they hadn't expected there to be ANY Kellogg's products available......
Oh. How disappointing. My mistake.

But anyway, who would want to take Kellogs products to your wonderful country instead of sampling the things available for breakfast there? I for one just don't get that at all!

I've actually talked to people who have toured the UK and Europe, and ate at McDonalds the whole time! You can't really get to know the people of a given region unless you eat their food, and what a wondrous opportunity they passed up!

Kelly

Old 06-22-2006, 11:38 AM   #32
Senior Cook

I understand you now, when i first read the thread all i could see was it is much clearer now

Old 06-22-2006, 11:42 AM   #33
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Part of the fun of visiting a new place is trying their foods, especially their specialties. How boring to go to, say, Italy and eat at McDonalds.
I couldn't agree more. My wife and I actually plan our vacations around food. That and the weather are the top things we consider when deciding where to go. We are looking forward to trips (eventually) to Greece, Spain, Africa, Israel, and many other places and you can be sure we will be eating the local specialties every chance we get!
Old 06-22-2006, 11:47 AM   #34
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef_Jimmy
I understand that kelly. I'm from Memphis and think we have the best BBQ (because we do, he he he) but it does tick me off when someone from kansas city says they have the best and ours sucks JUST because they are partial to their region. I also like BBQ from KC a lot of people wouldn't say that even if they did like it, so i understand from that perspective.
Jimmy,

NOW we're talkin' ! I'm glad we can see eye-to-eye on this one. I'm sorry if I worded my initial post and responses too poorly to get my true point across, and thanks for being patient with me. It's apparent you now understand what I was trying to say. Thanks for sticking with me.

So, a point of curiosity here. I seem to remember that the trend in KC vs. Memphis BBQ is sweet vs. vinegar in BBQ sauce.? I could have this backwards, or just plain all wrong, but this is the first time I've had the opportunity to chat with a Memphis BBQ expert, so would you please enlighten me? I'm eager to learn.

Kelly
Old 06-22-2006, 11:59 AM   #35
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
Nononononooooooooooo

You misunderstand me - on listening to their conversation, they hadn't expected there to be ANY Kellogg's products available......
So Ishbel. Please tell me about haggis. I've never eaten it, but I am no stranger to eating the stomachs of various critters. I like Menudo, and Pho. Menudo contains beef stomach, and Pho, if properly made contains not only the stomach of whatever critter is available, but a good deal of other stuff most Americans wouldn't eat as well. I would love to try haggis someday! I really like new food experiences, and I'm not at all squeamish. I figure if people of a given region can eat it, it's probably not going to kill me either!

Kelly
Old 06-22-2006, 12:01 PM   #36
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef_Jimmy
I understand you now, when i first read the thread all i could see was it is much clearer now
Thanks, Jimmy. I'm glad of this. My intent is to make friends, not enemies.

Kelly
Old 06-22-2006, 12:16 PM   #37
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
I couldn't agree more. My wife and I actually plan our vacations around food. That and the weather are the top things we consider when deciding where to go. We are looking forward to trips (eventually) to Greece, Spain, Africa, Israel, and many other places and you can be sure we will be eating the local specialties every chance we get!
Hey GB,

I think the only place I might have a problem with is Greece, and I am probably wrong about this. All the Greek restaurants around here, however, seem to put vinegar in everything. Pasta salad, put vinegar in it. Sandwiches, put vinegar on them. Olives, soak 'em in vinegar until that is all they taste like. Salad, pizza, ice cream, lamb, apple pie, the more vinegar, the merrier.

I suppose, however, this could be like judging all of China based on a few local Cantonese restaurants. I would love to go to Greece and find out I'm wrong. I just couldn't stand meal after meal that tasted all the same, especially if they all tasted of vinegar.

Have you been there? has Anyone been there? Please tell me I'm wrong!

Kelly
Old 06-22-2006, 12:18 PM   #38
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyM
Hey GB,

I think the only place I might have a problem with is Greece, and I am probably wrong about this. All the Greek restaurants around here, however, seem to put vinegar in everything. Pasta salad, put vinegar in it. Sandwiches, put vinegar on them. Olives, soak 'em in vinegar until that is all they taste like. Salad, pizza, ice cream, lamb, apple pie, the more vinegar, the merrier...

Lemon, maybe but vinegar?
Old 06-22-2006, 12:23 PM   #39
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopz
There ARE regional differences, usually based on historical ethnic migration patterns and availability of food supply.

But people in some places are just "naturally" better at some things than people in others. Here in Utah for instance they make the best Green Jello in the world... and probably as much of it as the rest of the world too.
LOL! Thanks for that. You seem to have the same sense of humor that a couple of cowboy buddies of mine had. They were from Nephi. I really miss those guys! They moved back years ago. Couldn't take the traffic out here.

Kelly
Old 06-22-2006, 12:24 PM   #40
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyM
Hey GB,

I think the only place I might have a problem with is Greece, and I am probably wrong about this. All the Greek restaurants around here, however, seem to put vinegar in everything. Pasta salad, put vinegar in it. Sandwiches, put vinegar on them. Olives, soak 'em in vinegar until that is all they taste like. Salad, pizza, ice cream, lamb, apple pie, the more vinegar, the merrier.

I suppose, however, this could be like judging all of China based on a few local Cantonese restaurants. I would love to go to Greece and find out I'm wrong. I just couldn't stand meal after meal that tasted all the same, especially if they all tasted of vinegar.

Have you been there? has Anyone been there? Please tell me I'm wrong!

Kelly
That would kind of be like someone from Greece saying they don't want to come eat in America because we put ketchup on everything

I have never been to Greece, but I can promise you that not everything would taste the same and not everything wouldhave vinegar.