"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-22-2006, 05:36 PM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Then there is a mid-western city that claims to be the chili capital of the world, and yet they pour their "chili" over noodles

It's just something they're known for.

Old 06-22-2006, 05:42 PM   #52
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by middie
Then there is a mid-western city that claims to be the chili capital of the world, and yet they pour their "chili" over noodles

It's just something they're known for.
It's pretty good over spaghetti squash as well.

Old 06-22-2006, 05:45 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Ooh Mish that sounds pretty interesting
Old 06-22-2006, 05:54 PM   #54
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by middie
Ooh Mish that sounds pretty interesting
Middie, hope you give it a try. Put a dollup of sour cream on top, some chopped chives, and shredded cheddar or mexican cheese -- it's not pretty, but it's good. That's from my regional kitchen.

Oh, yeah, you can put the mixture back in the squash shells for a 'cleaner' presentation.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:06 PM   #55
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
I've been following this thread today, and I confess to some puzzlement. In my opinion, the only one suffering when you become annoyed is YOU.

I have seen topics come and go on this board, but this one baffles me. Not that I plan to shut it down at the moment, but it seems to have no purpose other than to complain. Even the Venting thread is there to engender support from others. If I didn't have to moderate here, I would ignore this thread entirely.
I guess it started out as a 'vent' about poor manners and then morphed into more of a celebration of regional cuisine diversity (that's how I see it anyway).
Old 06-22-2006, 06:09 PM   #56
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyM
Yes, but I wanted your take on it!

Kelly
Andmy 'take' is in those threads.... I eat haggis about once a fortnight in winter, but not in summer. It's a tasty dish, but many foreigners LOVE to say 'blechhhhh' without tasting it.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:12 PM   #57
Chef Extraordinaire

Have to agree with the Z. I think everyone is pretty much in agreement that regional distinctions should be appreciated and preserved, and that it's OK to "argue" good-naturedly about it. Think Kelly made it clear that he meant no hostility.

I'll be happy to discuss the superior merits of Chicago pizza and Memphis BBQ with anyone who cares to have a civilized discourse.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:30 PM   #58
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
I'll be happy to discuss the superior merits of Chicago pizza and Memphis BBQ with anyone who cares to have a civilized discourse.
I fail to comprehend how someone who believes that Chicago pizza and Memphis BBQ are 'superior' would be capable of civilized discourse, so I will respectfully decline.

I keed! I keed!
Old 06-22-2006, 06:33 PM   #59
Sous Chef

Looks like we have a bit of Chicago bashing right here on this topic to me. I'm not from the city, but from a western suburb, but I don't happen to know of any Chicagoans who are braggarts like that. Not all Chicagoans are rude. Many of them are very nice people. We have some nice ones right here if I'm not mistaken.

I've also had marginal étouffée in New Orleans as well, but I don't claim that they as a city don't know how to make it there, unless I've tried a number of restaurants.

BC
Old 06-22-2006, 06:34 PM   #60
Executive Chef

The chili on pasta is a Cinncinatti Dish I had it a few times but did not care for it much as Im used to Texas Chili or New Mexico Chili both of those totally different. In Cinncinatti they put cinnamon or cloves in it.They serve it straight up or with pasta and or raw onions or some other stuff.In that city there are tons of places thet claim they make the best chili ,they even have chains that make it exclusively.
I dont care where you go there are going to be places not as good as others whether its pizza or other things.
What I hate is when a reaturant claims they make the best this or that and Im dissapointed.
I was really dissapointed in Chicago Pizza and believe me I tried alot of places the only pizza I liked was at a place called Home Run Pizza.
Also you cant believe what some might say about a great place to eat if they have no taste buds.