"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-17-2018, 07:54 AM   #1
Master Chef
 
caseydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 5,578
Regional slang... inspired by Scott-180...

I had a playful language discourse with Scott-180 on another thread, and it got me to thinking about the fun ways we say things around the country, and around the world.

So, let's list some things people say that are regional. I'll start.

Y'all. This is what got me started on this thought train, when Scott-180 mentioned it. It is pretty obvious that it is you + all, as in a group of people. My grandparents from Pittsburgh said "younz," and back when I was kid in the Northeast, it was "you guys."

Fixin. Big time Texas thing. It means "getting ready to..." "I'm fixin' to make a pot of chili."

That dog won't hunt. Basically means, that's Bulls--t.

All hat, no cattle. That is someone who talks big, but can't back it up with results.

Tump. To tip something over or dump something out. "Bubba done tumped that pot of soup on the floor."

One of my favorites, It’s better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. Hard to explain. It is like saying something isn't too bad, but not good either. In cooking terms, if you overcook a ribeye steak, you might say, "It’s better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick."

Okay, let's get this train rolling!

CD

__________________

__________________
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.” Winnie-the-Pooh
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:08 AM   #2
Master Chef
 
caseydog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Dallas
Posts: 5,578
BTW Scott, and you other Brits. I used to be a senior manager of a software company owned by a corporation from Newcastle. The board came to Dallas for meetings, and one of the board members used the term, "Keep your peckers up." The room froze. Perhaps one of you Brits can explain that.

The board member explained it to us, and we all had a good laugh. Words have different meanings in different places.

CD
__________________

__________________
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.” Winnie-the-Pooh
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:32 AM   #3
Executive Chef
 
Just Cooking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Springfield, MO
Posts: 3,237
My first wife was a country girl.. Her family came to California during the Oklahoma dust bowl.. ( Think Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck )


One of her slang sayings, which always cracked me up..
When people were talking about something and someone told her, "You can't do that", she would reply, "You just squat and watch"..


I loved that and so many other things she came up with..


Ross
__________________
Disclaimer: My experiences may not be as someone else might think correct.. Life goes on..
Just Cooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:09 AM   #4
Executive Chef
 
dragnlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,522
Era - late 60's
My late BIL (from OK) drew a room full of shocked silence when he looked at one of the babies at a family gathering (in Toronto) and said:- "Well, ain't you just the cutest little bugger."

Here the reference would be to say the person practiced buggery and was a horrid insult.

I'm not sure it hasn't lost some of its stigma but...
It is also used as an expletive single word that used to carry the same implication that the British expletive "bloody" used to carry.

With global media, world travel and people relocating miles from their birth places it is hard to distinguish what is 'colloquial' anymore.
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
dragnlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:47 AM   #5
Master Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 5,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
BTW Scott, and you other Brits. I used to be a senior manager of a software company owned by a corporation from Newcastle. The board came to Dallas for meetings, and one of the board members used the term, "Keep your peckers up." The room froze. Perhaps one of you Brits can explain that.

The board member explained it to us, and we all had a good laugh. Words have different meanings in different places.

CD
Not vulgar as far as I know. It's similar to "Chin up!"or "Be Brave" or just "Cheer up"

Where my uncle by marriage came from (South Derbyshire - Ilkeston area) a general term of greeting is or was until relatively recently "Eh up, mi duck" Mostly used by a man greeting a man or woman of his acquaintance, usually met in the street or on the bus, etc. ("Mi duck" being translatable as "My Dear" & used when addressing males, females and children, either family or well known to the speaker, such as a neighbour or workmate)
__________________
Don’t look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:52 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,149
Growing up in NJ we would say we were going “Up the country” which meant upstate NY rural areas. Or “Down the shore” to the beach areas. Not very good grammar but oh well. LOL
__________________
There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:56 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
Era - late 60's
My late BIL (from OK) drew a room full of shocked silence when he looked at one of the babies at a family gathering (in Toronto) and said:- "Well, ain't you just the cutest little bugger."

Here the reference would be to say the person practiced buggery and was a horrid insult.

I'm not sure it hasn't lost some of its stigma but...
It is also used as an expletive single word that used to carry the same implication that the British expletive "bloody" used to carry.

With global media, world travel and people relocating miles from their birth places it is hard to distinguish what is 'colloquial' anymore.
my extremely religious great aunt used that term all the time in reference to something adorable, to the absolute horror of my Canada-born mother!
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:01 AM   #8
Executive Chef
 
dragnlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,522
an aussie friend floored us when he first used the expression...

"Let's go knock up Susie."
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
dragnlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:04 AM   #9
Master Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 5,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I had a playful language discourse with Scott-180 on another thread, and it got me to thinking about the fun ways we say things around the country, and around the world.

So, let's list some things people say that are regional. I'll start.

Y'all. This is what got me started on this thought train, when Scott-180 mentioned it. It is pretty obvious that it is you + all, as in a group of people. My grandparents from Pittsburgh said "younz," and back when I was kid in the Northeast, it was "you guys."

Fixin. Big time Texas thing. It means "getting ready to..." "I'm fixin' to make a pot of chili."

That dog won't hunt. Basically means, that's Bulls--t.

All hat, no cattle. That is someone who talks big, but can't back it up with results.

Tump. To tip something over or dump something out. "Bubba done tumped that pot of soup on the floor."

One of my favorites, It’s better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. Hard to explain. It is like saying something isn't too bad, but not good either. In cooking terms, if you overcook a ribeye steak, you might say, "It’s better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick."

Okay, let's get this train rolling!

CD
"That dog won't hunt" I'm trying to remember the British version of that. Perhaps one of my fellow Brits will supply it

"All hat - no cattle" - equivalent in GB = "All mouth and no trousers".

"It's a bit black over Bill's mother's" = "It looks like rain" (another saying from my Ilkeston uncle.

"He wasn't half mad" = "He was extremely angry"
__________________
Don’t look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:12 AM   #10
Master Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 5,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
an aussie friend floored us when he first used the expression...

"Let's go knock up Susie."
Yes, I can imagine it would

In the northern English cotton towns of the Victorian era (and right into the 1950s in some areas) there was a man employed by the mill-owners to go round to employees houses in the early morning. He carried a long pole with which he would knock on the upstairs windows to wake up the workers, many of whom didn't have alarm clocks at least in the early days. He was called "the Knocker-upper".
__________________
Don’t look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:35 AM   #11
Master Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 5,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
Era - late 60's
My late BIL (from OK) drew a room full of shocked silence when he looked at one of the babies at a family gathering (in Toronto) and said:- "Well, ain't you just the cutest little bugger."

Here the reference would be to say the person practiced buggery and was a horrid insult.

I'm not sure it hasn't lost some of its stigma but...

It is also used as an expletive single word that developed from, and used to carry the same implication that the British expletive "bloody"used to carry.

With global media, world travel and people relocating miles from their birth places it is hard to distinguish what is 'colloquial' anymore.
"Bloody" is very old slang (not used in polite company) stemming from such mediaeval curses as "Odd's blood" (= "God's blood")

And "bugger", even in the context used by your BIL, isn't entirely acceptable language in GB even now.

It is still an offence in English law to use the "F" word in public (eg in the street) but a police officer has to hear you and I can't remember hearing of any instance that a Police arrested anyone under that law. It always amazes me that television and films get away with the use of it. Despite it's general usage by anyone old enough to talk, it still offends many Brits so watch your step if you are visiting.
__________________
Don’t look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:32 AM   #12
Executive Chef
 
dragnlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,522
My late FIL favourite... "Don't get your knickers in a knot!"

A girlfriend and I both hate hearing the f... word - under any circumstances - when the other day she said -'You do realize how many times we have both used that word in everyday conversation - not even as an expletive!'
I'm embarrassed and ashamed as I think she started using it more often from hanging around with me. I've found it is coming out in my common everyday speech.

I am not impressed with myself

We are both now trying very hard to clean it up...
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
dragnlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 11:41 AM   #13
Master Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 6,293
Giv'er lads!


There is a television series called Letterkenny which is a small town less than an hour from here..It is a good example of what the real locals talk like...I'd post some footage but the language isn't all that sanitary, if you know what I mean..
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 03:04 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 21,539
In NJ, a certain roll of seasoned pork is called Taylor Ham...

__________________
The past is gone it's all been said.
So here's to what the future brings,
I know tomorrow you'll find better things
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 03:56 PM   #15
Head Chef
 
phinz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: The Surface of the Sun
Posts: 1,901
The problem with regional idioms and colloquialisms, at least for me, is that I don't think anything of them when I use them, so I can't just come up with examples easily. A lot of them aren't polite enough for mixed company either. These are a few that I can gather off of the top of my head.

Gully washer - Heavy rain
Frog choker - Same as gully washer
Knee high to a grasshopper - small/young. "I haven't seen you since you was knee high to a grasshopper."
You're about as useful as a screen door on a submarine - This one's pretty self explanatory.
It's slicker 'n snot on a doorknob - It's really slick
You look like 80 miles of rough road - You look terrible.
He's got the manners of a goat - He's rude
Drunker 'n Cooter Brown - That's really, really drunk.
Barking up the wrong tree - If someone is trying to solve a mystery of some sort and isn't on the right path/is accusing the wrong person/etc. then you tell them they're barking up the wrong tree.
__________________
It's good for the soul when there's not a soul in sight.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 05:10 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kayelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: south central coast/California
Posts: 13,845
I like your list phinz. Here's a few more.


Put your big girl panties on.=be brave. (Same goes for big boy undies.)
Don't beat a dead horse.= stop repeating the same thing.
He's/she's been rode hard and put away wet.=worn down, looks terrible.
Were you raised in a barn?=bad manners

Cowboy/girl's don't cry.= same as #1


Fun thread Casey.
__________________
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 05:48 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
 
buckytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: My mountain
Posts: 21,539
I met my wife using the standard NJ greeting of interest with overtones of affection.

I was behind her getting drinks at a bar when she turned her giant head of gravity defying hair, and said, "How ya doin'?"

I replied, "How YOU doin'?"


That was almost 26 years ago.


I could have been out by now...
__________________
The past is gone it's all been said.
So here's to what the future brings,
I know tomorrow you'll find better things
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:27 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 22,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
"Bloody" is very old slang (not used in polite company) stemming from such mediaeval curses as "Odd's blood" (= "God's blood")

And "bugger", even in the context used by your BIL, isn't entirely acceptable language in GB even now.

It is still an offence in English law to use the "F" word in public (eg in the street) but a police officer has to hear you and I can't remember hearing of any instance that a Police arrested anyone under that law. It always amazes me that television and films get away with the use of it. Despite it's general usage by anyone old enough to talk, it still offends many Brits so watch your step if you are visiting.
BTW, the F word is bleeped out on all TV shows. Or at least most of them. It depends on the hour of showing.

My English husband explained the "Bloody" to me as a result of using the saying of "By My Lady" considered an insult to the Blessed Mother. Not at all acceptable. It was shortened to "Bloody" once the Americans arrived during WWII. Now as crass as we Americans can be at times, even we knew "By My Lady" was unacceptable in any company. So the Brits, being smart and wanting to keep their own little secret, started to use the word, "Bloody". Made sense to me.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 06:39 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,904
One of the terms used here is "full as a tick," which means one has eaten more than anticipated.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:41 PM   #20
Head Chef
 
Rascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Christchurch nz
Posts: 1,380
Pregnant= one of my faves, up the scooter, knocked up, bun in the oven.
One I discovered in London with English relatives, I was talking about my brother, I said he was a hard case, which here is a real funny likeable guy. In the uk, it's a real,nasty type. Criminal usually. I wondered why the conversation went quiet.
Nz like Australia have our own words. The above is just from thinking locally.

Russ
__________________

Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×