"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-12-2011, 03:27 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Remember this candy?

There is a candy I use to buy as a kid in the 50's. I can't remember whether it was a penny or 2 for a penny. I have described it to several people who were kids during the penny candy era, but all of them have said they have never seen or heard of this candy. It was a sticky candy that came in a tiny metal cup that looked like one of those paper muffin cups with the ruffled edges. It came with a tiny metal spoon, and was in a wrapper. Does anyone know what I am talking about, and do you know the name of the candy?

Old 02-12-2011, 07:42 AM   #2
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Have you tried looking here The Penny Candy Store - Fresh Old Fashioned Candy - Swedish Fish, Wafers, Sour Patch, Fruit Slices & Licorice

or here

http://www.oldtimecandy.com/

to see if you can find it?

Old 02-12-2011, 07:54 AM   #3
Master Chef

I remember them ! They were a fudgy candy. I cut my tongue with that spoon the first time I had it. They were called "Something" Cups....can't remember...they came in chocolate, pink, and white..........and I think they were 2 cents...........
Old 02-12-2011, 11:00 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

Wow, it's so good to know someone else remembers them. The only ones I saw in this area were white, or I guess clear candy. And thank you, DaveSoMD for the links, it will be fun searching those sites.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:21 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Doubt if I am supposed to double-post here, but I agree with luckytrim that the candy had cup in the name, so I went to the websites that DaveSoMD suggested and did a search. They didn't come up, but I'm not surprised because of the container and spoon being made of metal, no longer cost effective.

Looking at all of the old fashioned candy was like a stroll down memory lane.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:36 PM   #6
Master Chef

I know........
I spent a half-hour trying to chase the stuff down..... no luck !
Old 02-13-2011, 09:40 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Does anyone remember Squirrel candies? I see some imitation Squirrels at candy stores. They are not the same. (I had read that the Squirrel Nut Zippers the band had bought them out.) They used to be so good. Maryjanes, I didnt care for.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:42 AM   #8
Senior Cook

What about Icecube candies. i still buy those but hard to find. They are still made in Germany and melt in your mouth. Used to be 2 cents. Now, 50 cents a piece. I buy them at a candy store in a hospital in Detroit, at times. And, at a gas station at times. They used to be wrapped in blue metallic paper now they are gold metallic. Very high quality German chocolate. I dont share those..ha ha
Old 02-13-2011, 09:50 AM   #9
Master Chef

Both of the above mentioned are to be easily found on-line.......
Just google 'em !