"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-11-2007, 03:37 PM   #1
Everymom

Remembering 9/11

OK, I really struggled with whether or not to post this. Its one of those topics that could go downhill very quickly so I am going hopeful that we can all be appropriate here and keep this sucker open.

I know its 6 years since 9/11, but it still seems pretty fresh to me. I was just reading the newspaper today and they commented that there is now some discussion about how much remembrance is too much, and how much is too little etc etc. Also that due to construction this is the first year there hasn't been a memorial at Ground Zero.

I think that no matter how long its been there should be some kind of remembrance of this tragedy. We still remember DDay, and other historic events (Hiroshima, Nagasaki etc) and I think that there should always be something to mark this day. I guess I'm not sure what form that should take though. Any good thoughts from our DC family?

Old 09-11-2007, 03:43 PM   #2
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I will always remember. I think that for the rest of US, maybe world history, Sept.11 will be remembered. Talking about it is good. WE, as a nation, need to talk about it. A memorial is always a nice gesture, and can mean many different things to many different people. I think it is human nature to make something like a shrine(for lack of a better word) to remember. To each their own when it comes to the amount of remembrance or ceremony, imo.

I will always question too. But I will not bring politics into this.

To those who lost loved on, and everybody effected by that day, we will never forget.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:46 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Thanks, Alix. Thinking about it sometimes still moves me to tears, but I'm a great big softie anyway. I know I'll never forget.

I don't know what form the memorial should take. That's a tough one. Part of me says it should be simple and reverent. Another part says it should be as extravagant as money could produce because the folks who died and the people left behind lost so much.

When Buck and I lived in Washington, D.C., we had the opportunity to visit many of the memorials there. The one that is especially moving is the Viet Nam one. Its simplicity is almost breathtaking. Same for the Tomb of the Unknowns at Arlington National Cemetery. Seeing the changing of the guard there is definitely a Kleenex experience and well worth experiencing.

I guess I'm leaning more toward something like those last two I mentioned. Simple, respectful and classy. You can bet, though, that no matter what form the memorial takes there will be those who won't be happy with it. That's just human nature.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:27 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
OK, I really struggled with whether or not to post this. Its one of those topics that could go downhill very quickly so I am going hopeful that we can all be appropriate here and keep this sucker open.

I know its 6 years since 9/11, but it still seems pretty fresh to me. I was just reading the newspaper today and they commented that there is now some discussion about how much remembrance is too much, and how much is too little etc etc. Also that due to construction this is the first year there hasn't been a memorial at Ground Zero.

I think that no matter how long its been there should be some kind of remembrance of this tragedy. We still remember DDay, and other historic events (Hiroshima, Nagasaki etc) and I think that there should always be something to mark this day. I guess I'm not sure what form that should take though. Any good thoughts from our DC family?
The memorial was at ground zero....in a park on the corner of the land. There will always be a memorial there. The reason the families were not permitted into the construction area is that it's unsafe to have thousands of people walking around a construction zone. The construction they are involved in is to build the permanent memorial site, complete with the inverted well of sorrow.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:37 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I don't have a problem with the remembrances, but I don't like to see people still afraid to live their lives. The terrorists would enjoy seeing us not doing the things that make us a free nation. I don't think we should allow someone living in a cave dictate how we live. I certainly feel for all those who lost friends, loved ones, even acquaintances in the acts and wish them peace.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:45 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

I'll always remember, just as I remember hearing of the Nazi's,of Pearl Harbor, bombing Japan, events long past that formed this country we live in..Remembering is a way to try to heal things, and to not allow them to be repeated if possible..In a way to me it's respecting those who lost their lives either for us and country or were sacraficed..I think honor and respect for them is a must, or we end up as those who would harm us...Remember, quietly,with love. The least we can do.
kadesma
Old 09-11-2007, 07:47 PM   #7
Master Chef

I left my headlights on while driving today. I didn't see many others, but, not a lot of people would remember to turn them on.
I will never forget all the people, lost, physically and mentally injured and the families that lost someone on that most tragic day. I can only pray that we never have to see such a day again.
I will not forget the men and women in our services that keep us as safe as they possibly can. God Bless them ALL!!!!
Old 09-11-2007, 09:23 PM   #8
Senior Cook

the scary part is that 19 men, led from bin laden in a cave halfway around the world, were able to throw this country into chaos.

that's it... 19 men.

and today, most people are STILL living in fear or HAVE TOTALLY FORGOTTEN... but they know full well what's going-on with paris, lindsay, 50 cent, & mike vick.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:20 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
It's a day I'll never forget. And I hope I never witness anything like that ever again. With so many victims that day I don't think there can ever be "too much" rememberance.

And I drove with my headlights on today today too. I burn a candle every 11th as well.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:26 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by black chef View Post

and today, most people are STILL living in fear or HAVE TOTALLY FORGOTTEN... but they know full well what's going-on with paris, lindsay, 50 cent, & mike vick.
Pretty disgusting and sick state of affairs, isn't it? I feel like shouting 'pay attention, people'...and 'get involved'. My signature says it all....