Remembering 9/11

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
I still cry when I watch a movie that has that skyline in it. Breaks my heart!! I want to scream, GET OUT!!:cry:

img_682222_0_aa85827441432e8fe85f9aa520064e9b.jpg
img_682222_1_e76694ad4e988f838c525d88556c2c70.jpg

That movie should be shown everyday on every chanel, so people don't forget the reality of today's world.

I still can not bring myself to watch any movie about it. I don't know if I will ever be ready for that.

I take the PATH into the World Trade Center Station every day, and it is still creepy, tho less so since they really are now building the Freedom Tower, so it's not just a hole any more.

The tension is still palpable, tho.

I was right there outside City Hall when the South Tower fell. It was like being in a horror movie. :ohmy:

Thank you Stacy, and for all who were lost and for those who suffer still...Never forget and may you know a calming peace someday.
kadesma

I watched the movie the other day and it was quite sad. What is the freedom tower though?

And lets take this opportunity to remember the brave men and women stationed in the middle east, doing their part to preserve the freedoms we sometimes take for granted.

I am one of many grateful and proud Americans who appreciate what you do.

I still can not bring myself to watch any movie about it. I don't know if I will ever be ready for that.
We have watched a couple of them (one about Flight 93 and one of the others), and they were actually very tastefully done. They help you see the heroic side of the people involved and are not sensationalistic all.

To any here who lost family or friends on that day, our prayers are with you.

Barbara

That movie should be shown everyday on every chanel, so people don't forget the reality of today's world.
Perhaps a bit extreme. They were talking on the radio this morning about what should be done, including some kind of daily reminder. I don't think that's necessary either... I have my own idea.

I think September 11 should be a national day of remembrance... a holiday, if you will, but without the usual parades, fireworks, special sporting events and celebration. Coverage of memorials and special commemorative programming should be "wall to wall" so it would be impossible for people to escape it. It would be a very sad day, even very likely painfully so for those who lost loved ones. But it would also honor fire fighters, police and others lost in service that day.

This morning, as I was getting ready for work, MSNBC was replaying their telecast in real time. I thought that was a great remembrance.

June. I can't imagine what it must have been like to have been even remotely close to it. There were programs about it all last weekend here. One in particular I found very interesting. It was about folks who worked at Ground Zero, and are now developing illnesses, and there is very little cash available to help them. (not getting political here, folks, just stating what the program was).

It still gives me chills when I think about it. Our generation has "where were you during 9/11" instead of "where were you when Kennedy was shot".

I believe that "stuff" lingers in places. I don't know what label you want to use for "stuff". When I went to NY in 2005 we drove by there and I just had a wave of cold and sad pass over me as we went by there. They asked if we wanted to stop and I just couldn't.

My heart goes out to everyone touched by this tragedy.

Kim and I were watching GMA when it happened.

I remember hearing a man interviewed who was standing on a hill across the river, in New Jersey. He said he could see the buildings burning and all, but that above all that, he could also see all the souls escaping.

My heart weeps for everyone concerned. What a sad thing.

We have watched a couple of them (one about Flight 93 and one of the others), and they were actually very tastefully done. They help you see the heroic side of the people involved and are not sensationalistic all.

To any here who lost family or friends on that day, our prayers are with you.

Barbara

I agree, Barbara. Didn't think I could watch it, but saw it on TV; and it was very tastefully done. My aunt was reporting for jury duty that AM. It took a few days to reach them by phone. It's still very real & surreal at the same time - if that makes any sense.

Kim and I were watching GMA when it happened.

I remember hearing a man interviewed who was standing on a hill across the river, in New Jersey. He said he could see the buildings burning and all, but that above all that, he could also see all the souls escaping.

My heart weeps for everyone concerned. What a sad thing.

Constance, for probably around 2 years afterward I could feel souls at the site, and all around the neighborhood. It just brought such an aura of sadness each and every day. Along with millions of commuters, I go into and out of the place 5 days a week, and sometimes weekends, too. It no longer feels like a graveyard, but the stress is still there.

Not to mention the chemicals and debris we had to breathe every day going to and from our daily lives..... Lolly, no one knows, and probably never will, how many people's health was compromised by that event.

Very sad day indeed, and it will be remembered for a long time. I know my kids saw some of the TV footage in school, my DD who was 10 at the time remembers exactly what she was doing when they put the tvs on in school. At 10 I don't think she quite understood the magnatude of what was happening, but as she has gotten older seeing it first hand has helped her understand what's going on in Iraq and Afganistan.
My heart goes out to everyone on that day because we were all effected in one way or another.

It still gives me chills when I think about it. Our generation has "where were you during 9/11" instead of "where were you when Kennedy was shot".

I believe that "stuff" lingers in places. I don't know what label you want to use for "stuff". When I went to NY in 2005 we drove by there and I just had a wave of cold and sad pass over me as we went by there. They asked if we wanted to stop and I just couldn't.

My heart goes out to everyone touched by this tragedy.

I had that feeling in one house that I used to clean. I neve got enough nerve to ask if anyone died there. I was afraid of the answer. I don't even get that feeling at cemetaries. Maybe because so many died in that one spot and we all watched helplessly as it happened. I don't know. I watched a program on the History channel last night. It was clips from peoples camcorders, cell phones, etc.. on the ground, in towers 3 and 5 being evacuated, people in apts within a mile of it. I couldnt stop watching it, not from being sick mindedness, but, see how each person reacted. And knowing what we know now, how I wanted to scream at them, keep going, dont go back in. All the people that were being evacuated and then told it was okay, go back to their floors, it's so so sad!!!

Back
Top Bottom