"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-25-2009, 07:41 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama View Post
and whatever happened to "hide and seek"?...and "tag"?
Not sure about hide-and-seek but you sure can't play tag anymore. It hurts peoples' feelings and singles them out. Sheesh!

Thanks for the stroll down memory lane. All those points pretty much summed up how I grew up.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:43 PM   #12
Master Chef

How funny. I used to hate dodge ball. I have severe astigmatism and wore very thick, in those days real glass, glasses. One of the side effects of sever astigmatism is a very bad sense of distance perception. I'm surprised there is a single picture of me without two black eyes, because that's what happens when the ball hits you straight on the bridge of your nose when you're wearing heavy glasses. Most games that we played when I was a kid involved me ducking the projectile and hoping I'd get home without any major bruising.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:08 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Psssh.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:30 PM   #14
Head Chef

Mama, I enjoyed your post very much. Yes, I do remember all of those things. And that remembrance is one of the reasons we live in Mexico. People (the whole family) ride around in the backs of pickup trucks. No one seems to fall out and get hurt. The sidewalks (where they exist) are uneven, the stairs are not standard sized, there are huge potholes in the road, and when you walk, you'd best keep your head out of the clouds and your eyes on the path in front of you. If you fall down and try to sue the property owner, the judge will laugh and tell you to watch where you're going. There are no leash laws, but the street dogs don't bite anybody. The people selling street tacos don't wear face masks and rubber gloves, but no one gets sick from eating this wonderful food. Most homes in our little town don't have TVs, phones or computers. They also don't have fancy patio furniture or soft, cushiony couches in the stores here because average Mexican people don't have much leisure time to be couch potatoes. They work six days a week and Sunday is family day, when everyone goes to mass, then the weekly market, and then to the town plaza, to get some good food, listen to the music and dance a little. Kids, too.

It's alot like living in the 1950s.

I know, I know...there are plenty of minuses living in a developing country as well. Lax environmental regulations, little or no recycling, I could go on and on. But we do treasure the concept of personal responsibility that is currently embraced by the people who live here, as well as the lack of materialism and greed. I'm sure it will change as they become more "Americanized." Too bad in many ways.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:23 PM   #15
Master Chef

Even though I grew up in the completely different country pretty much most of it applies to me too, those were the days.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:58 PM   #16
Senior Cook

I remember when anyone in our neighborhood got ANYTHING new (car, furniture and such), all the neighbors would see and come running and we'd make a celebration out of it. How nosey we all were, lol Those were the days!
Old 01-26-2009, 08:14 PM   #17
Head Chef

Oh gosh, Glorie, our neighborhood was like that, too. Whenever someone got a TV, they shared it with the neighbors who didn't have one yet, until finally, everyone had one. It was pretty nice...
Old 01-26-2009, 09:35 PM   #18
Head Chef

I am only 24, but I remember riding my dads motorcycle and driving it (of course I wasn't driving it, but he made me think I was)
Old 01-26-2009, 09:57 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
People (the whole family) ride around in the backs of pickup trucks. No one seems to fall out and get hurt.
Oh, Karen. You reminded me of one of my cherished childhood memories. We lived in a very small community (about 500 people and 500 dogs). Our neighbor was a farmer, who had land some farm land area away from his house, which was next door to ours, would come home every day and plenty tired. He had a rattle-trap old pick 'em up truck that he loved. All of us children would beg him to take us for a ride in the back of his truck when he came home. He never refused our request and we would pile in (about 6 or 7 crazy children) and he'd take off to our favorite bumpy road, Turnip Salad Road. It was weavy and windy and we had a blast bumping along for several miles. What fun!!!!!
Old 01-26-2009, 10:10 PM   #20
Master Chef

I was an only child, and sickly at that...had rheumatic fever. I was never allowed to do fun things like that.