"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-26-2008, 10:11 PM   #71
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
A couple of hours later, Roberto arrived with a bag full of supermarket bought cleaning supplies: Comet, Scrubbing Bubbles spray foam, latex gloves and a yellow sponge with green scrubby material on one side. He set to work sprinkling Comet on the counter top, spraying that with Scrubbing Bubbles and scrubbing with the sponge. He polished the entire top and, lo and behold, the counter top was perfection when he was done!

He told us they call him Doctor Rock for the magic he works on various stone surfaces. A title well earned That day!
Wow, Andy. Did you happen to watch Roberto? Because I'd sure like some tips on making that kind of magic on stone surfaces.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:22 PM   #72
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
Wow, Andy. Did you happen to watch Roberto? Because I'd sure like some tips on making that kind of magic on stone surfaces.

Yes, I did watch. It was simple as what I described in my earlier post. Sprinkle some Comet, spray the Comet with Scrubbing Bubbles, scrub with a scouring sponge. Wash up with paper towels and water.

Keep i mind I have an engineered stone countertop. It's different in properties from granite and marble. I don;t know if this would work on those stones.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:26 PM   #73
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
We spent today chasing around for new wall plates, switches and outlets for the kitchen. Then we spent the afternoon cleaning up the area and running loads through the DW as there was a ton of dust generated in parts of the remodel. More of that to go.

So tonight I took a meal of tomato sauce with sausage and meatballs out and that, with spaghetti, was dinner with a salad and wine.

Tomorrow I am doing a roast chicken with pilaf and some fresh green beans sautéed with mushrooms and onions and finished with a bit of Rotel.
And be prepared to get more of that dust Andy My makeover here has been done several months, went to get a glass dish to melt chocolate in for those chocolate covered frozen bananas, guess what? dish was full of dust and particles from the granite tops we had put in..And I had taken everything out of there and cleaned..Ahhh Well..Glad you're done and enjoying the beauty.
kades
Old 07-26-2008, 11:36 PM   #74
Executive Chef

Quote:
Yes, I did watch. It was simple as what I described in my earlier post. Sprinkle some Comet, spray the Comet with Scrubbing Bubbles, scrub with a scouring sponge. Wash up with paper towels and water.

Keep i mind I have an engineered stone countertop. It's different in properties from granite and marble. I don;t know if this would work on those stones.
Oh Andy, I thought surely there were a few more steps or something. Amazing! This is something I will definitely try and thanks for posting it.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:14 AM   #75
Head Chef

I can't wait to see the pictures!
Old 07-27-2008, 10:11 AM   #76
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
Oh Andy, I thought surely there were a few more steps or something. Amazing! This is something I will definitely try and thanks for posting it.

FM, keep in mind this process did not change the surface finish. It just removed some stuff from the surface. The end result looked the same as the original except for the marks.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:32 AM   #77
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
We spent today chasing around for new wall plates, switches and outlets for the kitchen. Then we spent the afternoon cleaning up the area and running loads through the DW as there was a ton of dust generated in parts of the remodel. More of that to go.

So tonight I took a meal of tomato sauce with sausage and meatballs out and that, with spaghetti, was dinner with a salad and wine.

Tomorrow I am doing a roast chicken with pilaf and some fresh green beans sautéed with mushrooms and onions and finished with a bit of Rotel.
Congratulations, Andy and family! I know just how you feel, and you must be SO glad to be cooking again. That was my biggest joy when my kitchen was finally finished!

Are you waiting for the grout to be sealed before you break out the Champagne?
Old 07-27-2008, 02:14 PM   #78
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
...Are you waiting for the grout to be sealed before you break out the Champagne?

Actually, the kitchen is just phase 1. In two weeks we are getting hardwood floors on the main floor, then the whole place is being painted and some wall to wall is being replaced. THEN the champagne comes out.

I suspect it's a never-ending process. Yesterday while we were at the lighting store for the wall plates and stuff, we saw a light fixture that would be perfect for the kitchen. Much better than the industrial looking fixture I have there now.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:21 PM   #79
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
I suspect it's a never-ending process.
I think you're right. This is the first place I have ever owned, and I'm always seeing things I either want or need to do.......
Old 07-27-2008, 08:11 PM   #80
Certified Pretend Chef

Pictures!

Here are some pictures from before construction began and whet the "during construction" phase was like. Notice the window is a different color from the cabinets and the lovely linoleum flooring. You can't see the 2" cut from when I dropped my chef's knife.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02943.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	4722   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02951.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	4723  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02958.JPG