Remodeling Begins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
Tomorrow, my kitchen remodeling begins. It's not a total remodel. New tile floor and backsplash. New manufactured stone counter top, new under mount sink, disposal and faucet. New hardware for the cabinets (brushed Nickel). The nozzle on the faucet swivels.

I won't be cooking for a week or so as the stove, fridge and dishwasher will be removed to put in the floor. We will be using a microwave and toaster oven in the dining area and the gas grill. Disposable tableware will be in use.

We are also having some mold removed and getting a new roof. Later, hardwood floors on the main level and paint throughout.

It's gonna be a discombobulated summer. I'll keep you posted.

Last edited:
I see a lot of grilling in your future! Though without a fridge that may be rough. You can rent one of those dorm fridges, though.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU. Pics please, when done.

We'll have the fridge in the dining area with a card table for the microwave and toaster oven and coffee pot. For some of the time there will be no sink, DW or stove. I linked the countertop and faucet for now. I am taking "Before" pics today (as I clean up) and will be taking pics as we proceed.

The faucet link didn't work, Andy...

I have a blue mix countertop, too -- and the other night on one of the hgtv shows a designer made a huge face when he saw a blue mix countertop in a kitchen and said... "blue is the WORST color for a countertop!" :rolleyes: I know he's never seen mine, because it's beautiful, and I love the one you're getting, too. What does he know? :LOL:

Sure there is some mess and fuss, but just think about when you've finished..I love my new kitchen that my DH did..He refinished the cabinets and he had someone put in granite counter tops we had a beautiful tile floor already only a few months old...and he now has bought me the most beautiful Island with a stainless steel top, all that is left is to get new hardware and we are done..Andy, I'm so happy for you..Enjoy every minute I can hardly wait to see what you've done.
kades:)

I LOVE those deep blue countertops!

I wonder why the design guy said no to blue???

My kitchen is very overdue for a makeover ....

I LOVE those deep blue countertops!

I wonder why the design guy said no to blue???

My kitchen is very overdue for a makeover ....

I don't care why. It's not as if the rest of my place was designed and decorated by a world renouned expert and I'm ruining the whole effect with a dark blue counter top.

I don't know about that, Babe. For me it was just the infernal takeout that $ucked. :ermm: I kept my eyes on "the prize!"

lol , i just spent about two years changing things in this house. the constant mess got to me after awhile. it does look nice and is almost done, only one bathroom and its floor left.

babe;)

I don't care why. It's not as if the rest of my place was designed and decorated by a world renouned expert and I'm ruining the whole effect with a dark blue counter top.

I wouldn't either. I'd put them in my kitchen in a heartbeat.

I have to admit thought that I have seen some incredibly unfortunate choices of high-end countertops when I have been out and about looking at houses (with other people). One in particular was touted in the ad and in the marketing materials and it was pool-bottom turquoise.:eek:

Andy,
when I looked at the counter top you gave the link to..I was surprised as to me it looked a deep green..It is almost like my granite top.I think it's beautiful and wouldn't hesitate to use it...green, blue use it if you like it..:)
kades

Andy .. the remodeling process can be a very stressful time ..
but also very rewarding .. Cambria(sp) is a fantastic choice ..
very durable .. and the color is great .. keep an eye on the seams ..
you should not really be able to see them with that pattern ..
but more than that .. you should not be able to feel them ..
if one side is raised it will chip ..
good luck with the mold ..

just wanted to add something ...
if you are unhappy with anything ..anything ..
say something to the "Lead" on the job ..
or whoever you are dealing with ..
say it at the exact moment you see it ..
something are really easy to fix at the time it happens ..
when you wait .. the job can be affected ..

Made me recall the very first kitchen I installed with stone tops, the painter left a dob of putty on the bench and the linseed oil from the putty leached in to the stone and stained it. It took a lot of sweet talking by me to the owner to get out of replacing the bench top.
I like the stone tops but they're heavy things to install

Have fun Andy

Oh, I love to do remodels. But one thing does lead to another. As for the cooking accoms. It's like a camping trip at home. But it does get old after a couple months.
Just treat yourselves out once and a while.
No dishes for a couple months....I'm in.
Enjoy the journey.

best of luck, andy. hope you get to eat out a lot and not sweat the tougher days and details too much.

awaiting pics.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom