"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 10-12-2006, 05:15 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Originally Posted by TATTRAT
I think I've got the carpo...

Repeatititive stress issues in the kitchen can be an issue sometimes. Just linke in anyline of work I suppose. But it is nothing a bourbon can't take care of.:D
Good point. But for medicinal purposes only, of course.

"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 05:25 PM   #12
Executive Chef
I have CTS and its a pain.Sometimes I get it in both hands, when Im using my hands alot for jewelry making,cooking and so on it gets worse.So bad in fact it can wake me up in the middle of the night with terrible pain in my hand[s]The best thing for me is to wear a good wrist brace as much as possible to prevent me from bending my wrists.That helps alot.There are excercises to try I actually bought a book [End your carpal tunnel pain without surgery. written by Kate Montgomery] on how to help yourself but as usual I have yet to read it.

jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 05:32 PM   #13
Executive Chef
I had carpal tunnell syndrome. I went to a chiropractor and was relieved of the pain within six weeks. Of course you have to be careful to not overwork your hand/wrist, or to use both hands rather than putting stress on just one.
amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 05:32 PM   #14
Head Chef
Send a message via AIM to college_cook
I called my dad up today, (been a nurse for 30 years) and said my symptoms are pretty indicative of carpal tunnel. He said not to try any f the excersizes sometimes used b/c those can often exacerbate the problem. Since I'm only having tingling he said to start by taking motrin and see a doc.
college_cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 05:51 PM   #15
Executive Chef
Good advice from you father. I think motrin relieves pain,and inflamation as well. Definately see a doctor before it gets serious. Carpanal tunnel can be very painful, and even disrupt your sleep as it did for me. I had to wear a brace on my arm while sleeping so that I didnt get the numbing and tingling.
amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 12:00 AM   #16
Master Chef
Great investment idea for anyone who is on the computer a lot and that is to buy the gel pads that are used with your mouse. Best computer accessory that I've ever bought as I ,too, get the numbness and tingling in my right wrist. Basically it has a raised padded area (filled with nice, soft, squishy gel material that absorbs the shock of repeated mouse clickings) that your wrist rests on and then a flat surface for the mouse to be moved on. I bought mine at WM but I'm sure that any office supply store would have them as well. You will be amazed at how nice it feels.

The only difference between a "cook" and a "Chef" is who cleans up the kitchen.
expatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote