"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-03-2006, 06:51 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Report: Restaurants Should Shrink Portions

http://www.forbes.com/entrepreneurs/...ap2790355.html

I really do think they over do it on the fries at Friendly's.

Old 06-03-2006, 08:01 PM   #2
Master Chef

So long as they shrink their prices as well, that's fine with me - lol!!

Actually, if I go to a nice restaurant & pay a decent price for a decent meal, I don't mind if the portion is large because I just take what's left home with me. I've gotten one or sometimes even two nice lunches out of what I've taken home from dinner out. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 06-04-2006, 06:50 AM   #3
Master Chef

Woody Allen Quote;
"The food there is terrible, and the portions are too small."
Old 06-04-2006, 05:07 PM   #4
Executive Chef

People should eat less and learn about what are good and bad foods. It's not like the restaurants are pointing guns at people's heads and forcing them to eat everything on their plate.
Old 06-04-2006, 05:38 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef
People should eat less and learn about what are good and bad foods. It's not like the restaurants are pointing guns at people's heads and forcing them to eat everything on their plate.
That's true, but, if it's there, 9 times out of 10, they will eat all of it because it's burned into their brains not to waste. That's the way it is with me!!
I have gotten a lot better about it though. Plus, if there is any food left from a restaurant, I will bring it home and share or eat it for dinner or the next day for lunch.
Old 06-04-2006, 05:49 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

I think a move to smaller portions is overdue. Some restaurant portions are actually obscene. I don't care to pay restaurant prices for leftovers that I take home.

I'd rather have reasonable portions that allow me to have a soup, appetizer, entrée and dessert without risk of exploding. I cannot do that now because of portion size so I skip the apps and often skip dessert as well. That cheats me out of trying different foods.

Truth be told, my appetite has decreased with age and I cannot eat the prodigious quantities I ate as a younger man. I guess I'm just jealous!
Old 06-04-2006, 06:08 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Unfortunately, this is a chicken and egg situation. Restaurants have gravitated toward outrageous or "generous" portions for competitive reasons. People want a bargain or to get the most that they can for their dollar. This is strictly a competitive move on the part of restaurants. There is no malicious intent to harm their customers. Those restaurants who lead the way in reducing portions or in refusing to sell a slab of pie to an obese customer are risking financial ruin or law suits. There is no incentive for them to change. McDonalds tried to sell a McLean sandwich and discontinued it after sales for it tanked.

I'm afraid that this is a mission best taken on like the "War against drugs" or the campaigns that discourage smoking, drunk driving, etc. There will have to be publicly funded advertising and awareness campaigns to tell the truth and consequences of supersized portions and reckless eating. This is a capitalistic democracy and the options for regulation are limited.
Old 06-04-2006, 06:32 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora
Restaurants have gravitated toward outrageous or "generous" portions for competitive reasons. People want a bargain or to get the most that they can for their dollar. This is strictly a competitive move on the part of restaurants.
Exactly. People want to blame the restaurants because they don't want to take the responsibility for themselves, but these same people are the main reason why portions have gotten so large and out of control. If the general public wasn't so demanding of getting "more bang for the buck" (which is one of the prime reasons of the huge explosion of buffet-type restaurants in the past 15 years) restaurants wouldn't keep having to increase their portion sizes just to keep guests from coming back. Everyone has the choice of either boxing up the rest of their food to eat at another meal, or just throw it away, or whatever. It's not like the food is laced with methamphetamines so you HAVE to finish it because you're addicted to it. I use super-high quality ingredients and give decent, but not overbearing portions because I won't compromise into having to serve a 22 oz. steak with huge portions of starch and overcooked vegetables just to get guests to eat my food.

If anyone wants to see a prime example of this, just go to Las Vegas. Half the people eating at many of the buffets are eating there at a complimentary or discounted rate due to hotel perks, and the amount of food that they eat, take, and throw away is appalling and disgusting.