"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2018, 04:50 PM   #1
Head Chef

Request for a mentor? Yenta?

This is a bit weird, that’s why I’m posting it off-topic.

For medical reasons (and dental reasons, which I guess is medical), I’m basically on a liquid diet, which has consisted mostly of milkshakes fortified with whey protein and yogurt, weak soups with bread that can be softened in them, and scrambled eggs, although those can be problematic, due to other medical conditions.

I’ve always loved the flavors of India, though my tolerance for spicy foods has decreased dramatically as I’ve aged. I know, just leave the peppers out, and I do!

The only way I’ve ever eaten eaten Indian food is 1) in a restaurant with a group of people. We usually order a plate of breads, a tandoor plate, a salad plate wth some raita, each person chooses a curry, and we dig in. Or 2) I make some chicken tikka masala at home and serve it with storebought naan and a salad.

I’ve never incorporated dhals (either the dish or the ingredient), chutneys, breads other than naan or kulcha. I’d love to start exploring, but don’t know where to start, or how. If you put a chutney in front of me right now, I’d probably make a pb&j with it!

So, how do I put together an Indian meal? What elements are crucial? How is every element served, and how is it meant to be consumed? What’s the dividing line between lentil soup/dhal/curry?

I know there are scads of books and websites out there, but none of them offer me an opportunity for conversation. And I can look up recipes until I need new glasses; recipes don’t tell me what place they take in a meal!

Anyone out there willing to take on a part time tutee? Or just have a conversation about Indian cuisine in general? The more the merrier!

Old 05-13-2018, 05:21 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

You can start with Madhur Jaffrey's A Taste Of India cookbook.

I'm not sure if there a section on geriatric recipes, though... (just kidding)

Old 05-13-2018, 07:18 PM   #3
Master Chef

Way back, when i started to get into Indian cooking I had a hard time with a few things..I always attempted to make too many dishes or too spicy..Now, I really have scaled back and try to simplify things

I'll make one thing like dal,or butter chicken and I will have it with plain rice, a few cucumbers in yogurt and some naan.. this allows me to concentrate on one dish while the other accompanying sides are fairly simple and milder flavored....It's also easier on the belly as too many spicy dishes could really give me problems..
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 07:27 PM   #4
Master Chef

Can you watch videos? I recommend this series. Rick Stein's India..He is very informative and this BBC production is very well done..It explains many things about Indian food that I never knew and he goes from humble dwellings in small rural villages to elaborate castles....Six, one hour, episodes which will have you heading into the kitchen to cook a curry...I've watched it a few times..
Episode One..

Rick Stein's India, Episode #1. - Video Dailymotion
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 11:28 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
You can start with Madhur Jaffrey's A Taste Of India cookbook.

I'm not sure if there a section on geriatric recipes, though... (just kidding)
Excellent advice! My first husband served military time in India during WWII. He fell in love with the food. Me? I was the bane of his existence. New England food for me please. In spite of having the JOC, (very first edition) he also had a copy of Ms. Jaffrey's book. She now has several books available. He swore by her book. He even got my kids to eat and love it.

I have to admit. I am not very adventurous in my eating.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:48 PM   #6
Master Chef

As far as recipe taking place in the meal. I think it is more up to you. I'll give you an example. In traditional East European Jewish cuisine the second course is served first, and soup is served second. It kind of allows you to was down the entree and side dish. Where have you seen this done in America, or anywhere else in the world for that matter? Last time I saw this done when my grandparents were alive.
So make the recipe you like, serve at any point of the meal, according to Your taste and habits. According to what you see fit.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:33 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

You lost me, Chuck.

With respect, what does course selection have to do with Injun cookin'?

And Addie, your first hubby would have had to have been about 20 years older than you?
Old 05-14-2018, 09:56 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
You lost me, Chuck.

With respect, what does course selection have to do with Injun cookin'?

And Addie, your first hubby would have had to have been about 20 years older than you?

Well, he was talking about learning about order of meal so to speak. So I gave example of how order is not as important.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:32 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Well, he was talking about learning about order of meal so to speak. So I gave example of how order is not as important.
My immediate question was how to eat chutney, if it’s presented. Do you spoon a little bit onto your curry or dhal? Or do you scoop a bit of curry with your naan and spoon some chutney onto your little bite? Or do you just have a bite of one, then a bite of the other?

Madhur Jaffrey says that chutneys and pickles are used interchangeably. And following that with your suggestions, I think the best thing to do would be to stop obsessing and just eat it how it tastes good, right?
Old 05-15-2018, 12:03 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I eat chutney two ways during a meal: either a little bit by itself, or a little bit with a bite of something else.