"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-22-2012, 06:04 PM   #91
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What a little cutie!

Old 02-22-2012, 07:28 PM   #92
Master Chef

Site Moderator

She does have that mischievous look about her...

Old 02-23-2012, 12:28 AM   #93
Half Baked

Got one of my shoes today and placed it in the middle of the garage but did not chew it. Took my daughters shoe the planter she has emptied (so she can sunbathe in it) and tried to bury it. Barfed on the carpet. Tried to get out the front door.

Those are just the ones I found about about today.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:31 AM   #94
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

If the cats hadn't been up to no good this morning I would have slept in, I turned off the alarm, did not hit the snooze. Of course, their up to no good means that if I hadn't been half asleep they would've needed to be "rescued" again...if I have to get the vacuum out they are in big trouble!
Old 02-23-2012, 01:05 AM   #95
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem View Post
Got one of my shoes today and placed it in the middle of the garage but did not chew it. Took my daughters shoe the planter she has emptied (so she can sunbathe in it) and tried to bury it. Barfed on the carpet. Tried to get out the front door.

Those are just the ones I found about about today.
Would it be possible to send her to puppy school?
Old 02-23-2012, 01:31 AM   #96
Master Chef

I've only read a half dozen pages of this line, but I do want to say that Rosebud has become our much beloved companion after a bit of hardship,and actually considering returning her to the shelter. One night I was crying my heart out, and friends and family consoled me but thought I was doing the right thing by returning her. She'd jumped, several times, and tried to bite my face. She'd bitten husband more than once (never actually breaking skin).

She's small (I think she weighs in at 21 lbs now). But all I could think of is that she'd not be acceptable when my elderly or children friends visited.

Well, thanks to a lot of advice from my DC friends, but also ... I write a column for my local paper, and trainers came out of the woodwork to give me advice.

We've now had and loved her for a year (it was our birthday present to ourselves a year ago).

She's become a truly loving pet, and worth every minute we spent with her to get her there. If I'd had a child or elderly relative living with me, I could not have done it. I think the turning point was when I called the shelter and inquired about returning her. I was in tears. This is a no-kill place (Safe Haven), and I'd signed an agreement that I'd not do anything without them getting her back, first.

Then ... I write a column occaisionally for the local paper. I wrote about her, and people came out of the woodwork, wanting to help us. Between them (some of them professionals) and my DC friends.

She is NOT as well trained as I'd llike her to be, but I know that it is because we are being lazy. But now she is well-known in our small town.

My favorite ting about her? When husband feeds her in the morning (for some reason she took against him when we first adopted her, him feeding her was part of the training thing), she eats her kibble, then finds me (usually reading a book), snuggles up to me as if to say, "thank-you" ... and burps. It is so funny.

My other pets have been from litter, I've never had to deal with a shelter pet. But it is worth every penny and hour.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:41 PM   #97
Chef Extraordinaire

every morning when i get up, i follow charlie's trail during the night. stuff knocked off, drawers opened. pillows topsy turvy. and so on. his latest is shoving the food and water feeders around the sun room. not a clue why he does this, and they aren't light. he flips his goody bowl over and then eats the treats off the floor. but i wouldn't trade him for a pot of gold.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:44 PM   #98
Chef Extraordinaire

I just wanted to share that the New England Saint Bernard Club recently donated the funds to pay to train a rescued Saint Bernard to be a service dog for a child with autism. The two are great pals! And, KUDOS to the club for doing that and making a difference in the life of Ryan and the Saint.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:01 PM   #99
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I just wanted to share that the New England Saint Bernard Club recently donated the funds to pay to train a rescued Saint Bernard to be a service dog for a child with autism. The two are great pals! And, KUDOS to the club for doing that and making a difference in the life of Ryan and the Saint.
There was a piece in one of our local newspapers about that. The reporter said in a follow up piece that because of his piece the shelter received a plethera of donations. I love stories like that. It does warm the cockles of ones heart.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:33 PM   #100
Chef Extraordinaire

Puss and Boots was hanging off the screen door when I arrived at the house in the city. Not really a rescue pet--I've kept her in the house, given her food, etc., and Monday she goes to see my friend who is a vet to be spayed/vaccinated/and whatever else is needed. I've contacted 3 cat rescues--they are full. Hopefully I can find this little girl a home. I am allergic to cats and the DH has a dog that is not cat friendly. I don't want her to be harmed. But isn't she cute?!?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pussandboots 001.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	13646