Rescued Pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CWS4322 said:
Hootie had that capacity.

I heard on NPR that counties in NY state are tightening up on animal cruelty laws. Hootie, fwiw, was in New Jersey, sent to a rescue group in MD, given a ride to NY state by a Newf breeder in PA, and driven from there by an ON rescue volunteer. Not quite 36 people, but darned near if you count the neighbour who intervened, the vet who treated him, etc., etc.

I hope the woman who purposely ran over Hootie was severely punished. How could someone be so cruel?

I hope the woman who purposely ran over Hootie was severely punished. How could someone be so cruel?
If I remember correctly, she got a fine. That was it. The HS passed him on to the rescue org. because of the extent of his injuries and the cost associated with treating him. The rescue org paid more in vet fees than the fine. The vet did give a discount, but did not treat Hootie free-vets can't afford to do that.

Our rescue group took a ~5-month old puppy that needed to have her front leg amputated after she was "dropped/fell" from a third-storey window by her "owner." With the discount and our vet donating her time, it still was around $1000 to amputate the leg, the pain meds, etc. And, I had to "vet tech." (I still have images of putting that leg in the "waste" container--ugh).

Luckily, we had a great home waiting for this pup (not a Saint--mixed breed) and she learned to be a tripod fairly quickly.

The SPCA could not prove the owner threw the pup out the window, so the person did not get fined and did not have to pay anything re: the vet costs.

Last edited:
Hootie was 3/4 yr old. So it was not as if the person had just acquired him. He had lived in that home for awhile before the woman decided she didn't want him. Never did hear the reason...

Hoot said:
I have little use for folks that treat any animal in such a manner. Well I could come up with a couple of uses...Where is that molasses and ant hill?

+1

I have little use for folks that treat any animal in such a manner. Well I could come up with a couple of uses...Where is that molasses and ant hill?
+2 and bag of feathers...

I don't miss volunteering re: dog rescue. But, I did make friends with a lot of great folks (not Hootie's owner) and learned a lot about humanity.

I have more stories, just as ugly, just as bad. And, they are not made up stories, they are stories about what people have done to animals. Needless to say, I like animals more than I like people. Animals do not do the horrible things to one another that humans do.

Last edited:
My horse when I was a teen was a rescue. Horribly malnourished and beaten, it took me 2 weeks to gain her trust and a month to gain her love. We worked together for 4 years, her last years were a joy.

This was in my e-mail this morning:

In 2003, police in Warwickshire , England, opened a garden shed and found a whimpering, cowering dog. The dog had been locked in the shed and abandoned. It was dirty and malnourished, and had quite clearly been abused.

In an act of kindness, the police took the dog, which was a female greyhound, to the Nuneaton Warwickshire Wildlife Sanctuary, which is run by a man named Geoff Grewcock, and known as a haven for animals abandoned, orphaned, or otherwise in need.

Geoff and the other sanctuary staff went to work with two aims: to restore the dog to full health, and to win her trust. It took several weeks, but eventually both goals were achieved. They named her Jasmine, and they started to think about finding her an adoptive home.

Jasmine, however, had other ideas. No one quite remembers how it came about, but Jasmine started welcoming all animal arrivals at the sanctuary. It would not matter if it were a puppy, a fox cub, a rabbit or, any other lost or hurting animal. Jasmine would just peer into the box or cage and, when and where possible, deliver a welcoming lick.

Geoff relates one of the early incidents. "We had two puppies that had been abandoned by a nearby railway line. One was a Lakeland Terrier cross and another was a Jack Russell Doberman cross. They were tiny when they arrived at the center, and Jasmine approached them and grabbed one by the scruff of the neck in her mouth and put him on the settee. Then she fetched the other one and sat down with them, cuddling them."

"But she is like that with all of our animals, even the rabbits. She takes all the stress out of them, and it helps them to not only feel close to her, but to settle into their new surroundings. She has done the same with the fox and badger cubs, she licks the rabbits and guinea pigs, and even lets the birds perch on the bridge of her nose."

Jasmine, the timid, abused, deserted waif, became the animal sanctuary's resident surrogate mother, a role for which she might have been born. The list of orphaned and abandoned youngsters she has cared for comprises five fox cubs, four badger cubs, fifteen chicks, eight guinea pigs, two stray puppies and fifteen rabbits - and one roe deer fawn. Tiny Bramble, eleven weeks old, was found semi-conscious in a field. Upon arrival at the sanctuary, Jasmine cuddled up to her to keep her warm, and then went into the full foster-mum role. Jasmine the greyhound showers Bramble the roe deer with affection, and makes sure nothing is matted.

"They are inseparable," says Geoff. "Bramble walks between her legs, and they keep kissing each other. They walk together round the sanctuary. It's a real treat to see them."

Jasmine will continue to care for Bramble until she is old enough to be returned to woodland life. When that happens, Jasmine will not be lonely. She will be too busy showering love and affection on the next orphan or victim of abuse.

Pictured from the left are: "Toby," a stray Lakeland dog; "Bramble," orphaned roe deer; "Buster," a stray Jack Russell; a dumped rabbit; "Sky," an injured barn owl; and "Jasmine," with a mother's heart doing best what a caring mother would do...

Please pass this along, and maybe make someone else's day just a little brighter!

Attachments

• ATT61351.jpg
    ATT61351.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 36
  • ATT61352.jpg
    ATT61352.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 39
  • ATT61353.jpg
    ATT61353.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 135
  • ATT61354.jpg
    ATT61354.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 134
  • ATT61355.jpg
    ATT61355.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 131
  • ATT61356.jpg
    ATT61356.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
PF, I can't get the pics on either the app or the regular site. Lovely story, though!

I can't get the pictures either, but I bet they are great! Wonderful story. Thanks.

There they are now! What did you do?

Adorable! A greyhound with a bunny, who knew?

Last edited:
Nice PF. The last picture is so cute. The other canine in the picture doesn't look too sure of things. It really shows how unusual it is for the greyhound to take to the others like she did. Priceless!

Back
Top Bottom