"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-14-2012, 10:40 PM   #121
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,128
He would've stolen my heart too. And I'm more of a dog person!
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:02 AM   #122
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Galena, IL
Posts: 7,973
Out of curiousity, has anyone ever heard of a dog that does not bark? A few months ago, my next-door-neighbor adopted a dog from the Dubuque shelter. he does not bark. I've known some basengis, and they make more noise than this dog (who looks to me to maybe be part German shepherd, part beagle? Who knows, but definitely not Basenji). I'm definitely not complaining, but even they say they've only heard him bark one time (and it's now been months). Their last dog was a beagle, and though we liked her, that gal could howl and bark for hours and hours and hours. So the silent doggie is a good neighbor. It's just that he is so quiet it doesn't seem right!
__________________

__________________
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:59 AM   #123
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,128
My beagle (a shelter dog) didn't bark at all for the first year or so we had her. She has since demonstrated that she CAN bark, at deer, coyotes, and the occasional outdoor cat, but never at people, noises, or other dogs. She doesn't whine or chortle either.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:07 AM   #124
Senior Cook
 
FluffyAngel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: SC
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire
Out of curiousity, has anyone ever heard of a dog that does not bark? A few months ago, my next-door-neighbor adopted a dog from the Dubuque shelter. he does not bark. I've known some basengis, and they make more noise than this dog (who looks to me to maybe be part German shepherd, part beagle? Who knows, but definitely not Basenji). I'm definitely not complaining, but even they say they've only heard him bark one time (and it's now been months). Their last dog was a beagle, and though we liked her, that gal could howl and bark for hours and hours and hours. So the silent doggie is a good neighbor. It's just that he is so quiet it doesn't seem right!
I've never been so lucky. It's been the exact opposite for me. You know, where you might consider snipping the vocal chords (joking). I had one beloved dog & he was VERY loved, my sweet Sampson rest his doggie soul, he could bark an entire night if the air wasn't smelling right or there was a fluctuation on the barometric pressure (I assumed because my investigations into why he barked came up nill).
__________________
Cooking = Loving in SC
FluffyAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:36 PM   #125
Chef Extraordinaire
 
babetoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: escondido, calif. near san diego
Posts: 14,349
as you know i have two cats, charlie and thomas. last night my granddaughter left the back door open. they escaped. we searched and searched last night. we discovered they were missing about eight p.m. my granddaughter and her fiancÚ caught siting of them. but they ran. i keep hoping they will just come home. i have done everything i can think of. bulletin board by pool. call humane soc. no cats picked up. i keep trying to tell myself that they will come home when they get hungry or thirsty. neither one has even been outside cats. please hold good thoughts . thomas is eleven and i have had since a kitten. charlie is three and i found him as a kitten. i am devastated.
__________________
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:59 PM   #126
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,128
Oh, Babe, that's awful. Sure hope they come home soon.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:15 PM   #127
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,335
Miss Kitty-cat is on her way to her foster home. The cat rescue volunteer picked her up about 10 minutes ago. Yea! I will be able to stop the benadryl tomorrow. And, hopefully, she will get adopted soon. She's very sweet.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:41 PM   #128
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
as you know i have two cats, charlie and thomas. last night my granddaughter left the back door open. they escaped. we searched and searched last night. we discovered they were missing about eight p.m. my granddaughter and her fiancÚ caught siting of them. but they ran. i keep hoping they will just come home. i have done everything i can think of. bulletin board by pool. call humane soc. no cats picked up. i keep trying to tell myself that they will come home when they get hungry or thirsty. neither one has even been outside cats. please hold good thoughts . thomas is eleven and i have had since a kitten. charlie is three and i found him as a kitten. i am devastated.
Hopefully they are with s/one like me who will take care of them until you can be re-united. Here are some suggestions: get photos to the HS, local cat rescue, dog rescue, more posters--corner store, gas station, liquor store, etc., offer a reward, contact vet clinics in the area and send/drop off a poster. Since people who find animals and care about the animals, they usually will contact the HS and a vet clinic.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:13 PM   #129
Senior Cook
 
FluffyAngel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: SC
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo
as you know i have two cats, charlie and thomas. last night my granddaughter left the back door open. they escaped. we searched and searched last night. we discovered they were missing about eight p.m. my granddaughter and her fiancÚ caught siting of them. but they ran. i keep hoping they will just come home. i have done everything i can think of. bulletin board by pool. call humane soc. no cats picked up. i keep trying to tell myself that they will come home when they get hungry or thirsty. neither one has even been outside cats. please hold good thoughts . thomas is eleven and i have had since a kitten. charlie is three and i found him as a kitten. i am devastated.
That's terrible news. I can relate. We once had an indoor cat that was about 10 years old got outside & a dog chased it away. It came back home 3 years later. I never give up hope on anything after that.
__________________
Cooking = Loving in SC
FluffyAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:22 PM   #130
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyAngel View Post
That's terrible news. I can relate. We once had an indoor cat that was about 10 years old got outside & a dog chased it away. It came back home 3 years later. I never give up hope on anything after that.
+1
__________________

__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.