Rescued Pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Claire,
I think that for the sake of your dog and your training, you will need to keep the dog away from these people until you know for sure that the dog can "leave it". Then you can reintroduce them once again and the dog will not react and it might help you to train the men. So sad that the men can't just listen to you, and help with the training. Good luck. Can you tell I have also had this happen?!

But now there are a couple of men who are great friends, but who cannot reisit teasing and prodding and otherwise getting the doggie I've worked my ass off to get trained so she won't snap at people, un-done. I need to know how to train my friends!

Have you tried biting these men?

I like that idea. It works on puppies.

Worked on Teddy when he was a puppy.

You know how mother animals pick up their babies by the neck? The reason is because when you pick them up there, a nerve gets pinched and it paralyizes the baby animal. Try pinching the nerve in the back of their neck. Vets often will use a clip similar to a spring clothespin to keep an animal still when they are examing them. :angel:

Is there something wrong with people? Seriously, everyone I know knows I've been trying (and succeeding!) in training my dog not to be aggressive. Much as I love them, some visitors just cannot resist teasing her, poking her, etc. WhenI was around my own family, it was tough enough (different dogs, different location). But now there are a couple of men who are great friends, but who cannot reisit teasing and prodding and otherwise getting the doggie I've worked my ass off to get trained so she won't snap at people, un-done. I don't need to know how to train my dog at this point, I need to know how to train my friends! Somehow I think that if I had a mastiff, no one would bother him. By some men (I'm sorry, no women have done this) consider a small dog to be something to tease and terrorize.

Oh, by the way, I have, on occasion, been known to tell men teasing my dog to take it outside).

Maybe you can keep a rolled up newspaper for their behavior. Spray bottle, box of dog treats for good behavior...:ermm:

PrincessFiona60 said:
Maybe you can keep a rolled up newspaper for their behavior. Spray bottle, box of dog treats for good behavior...:ermm:

I like the spray bottle idea. Annoying enough it might actually work!

I did tell a friend who has this dog-teasing mentality to take her outside and play for awhile. He's a smoker, so was happy to go out for a cigarette, and he did have her run around and they wore each other out. I am learning to just tell these men (there are about 3 of them in my life) to go outside, that is not inside behaviour (as if they were children, and heaven knows, that's what they are exhibiting), and just go outside and wear my little doggie out.

I like the spray bottle because it makes me think of Mommy. When neighbors would not rein in their in-heat cats, she'd fill a water pistol with an ammonia solution. The cats would run, screaming, but it didn't harm them, but when they got home they really stank. The neighbors learned to keep their cats at home, inside, at night.

skittle, i am so sad that you have lost your cat. when my two went missing for three days i was just in grief. they were found, actually thomas came to the back door. i just happened to open it for something else and their he was. charlie was under the house, i don't think all that time though. my granddaughter (who let them out in the first place) went under the house to rescue him. they have really been clingy since that. there is still hope for yours. hope it happens

OK, I'm tired and frustrated. Naw, not really. But Rosebud had her second seizure. We've had her for 18 mos or so. My husband found her spazzing out and picked her up and gave her to me (a real good reason to have smaller dogs). I babied her out of the attack. Because she had an attack once before, I just stopped and talked to my vet. Seems I lucked out and got another dog with epileptic tendencies. My husband swears he is never getting another dog. The fact is that he is the one who adopted Rosebud, not me. On top of it, guess who she wakes up in the middle of the night ... obviously, me. Well, it is O'Dark thirty, a load of laundry is done, Rosebud went outside and came back in, got a snack, and went back to bed. I on the other hand, am here writing. Bleah. Did get a couple of columns done. And I will stretch out the effing leg.

OK, I'm tired and frustrated. Naw, not really. But Rosebud had her second seizure. We've had her for 18 mos or so. My husband found her spazzing out and picked her up and gave her to me (a real good reason to have smaller dogs). I babied her out of the attack. Because she had an attack once before, I just stopped and talked to my vet. Seems I lucked out and got another dog with epileptic tendencies. My husband swears he is never getting another dog. The fact is that he is the one who adopted Rosebud, not me. On top of it, guess who she wakes up in the middle of the night ... obviously, me. Well, it is O'Dark thirty, a load of laundry is done, Rosebud went outside and came back in, got a snack, and went back to bed. I on the other hand, am here writing. Bleah. Did get a couple of columns done. And I will stretch out the effing leg.

Sounds like DH is just a big softy. Give them both a big hug. :angel:

Ya think? Our first doggie came to us because of me. I was living in a townhouse in Hawaii and my husband was gone a lot of the time, and I was home alone a lot. I told him I wanted a dog. We already had a cat, but things being what they were, I was really looking for both a companion, but also an alarm system, that a little dog would alert me when someone approached the house. I looked and looked and looked some more. At the time Hawaii's quarantine laws were prohibitive, and every time I'd go to the humane society, they'd try to convince me that a 40 pound puppy with huge paws was a small dog (town house, remember). So I just happened to walk into a pet store for some kitty litter and found this little dog that I knew was perfect. Bad timing, absolutely perfect dog. It was my husband's first dog. When both she and her daughter died (old age), I wanted to be pet free for a couple of years, but when my husband saw Rosebud in a photo the local shelter put out, that was that. They have a heavy screening policy, so when they checked our references and we went to get her, she jumped into husband's waiting arms. We had difficulties for the first few months, but she is ours and we love her (and the feeling is returned).

A few days ago I went and replaced a few of my lost tabby posters that had fallen down, and today I received a fresh tip!! It's in the same general direction as the last tip, and seems a lot more reliable. If its my kitty, he has been hanging around this abandoned shed, at the end of a dead end. The guy said he's seen him about once a week for a month now, usually in the early morning. So I'm going to go look for him again at 7:30 tomorrow morning if I don't find him tonight (I already went and looked between classes today). I asked the guy to try to catch him if he sees him again, and he said he would try. Fresh hope!!! I really hope I get him back this time... I might make mailbox hangers and put them on some mailboxes in the neighborhood... People don't always look very close at posters. Even though I put them up with blaze orange duct tape lol

Skittle I hope it is your kitty. But if it turns out not to be your kitty, are you willing to take him in? Sounds like an abandoned cat if it isn't yours. In need of a good home. :angel:

Addie said:
Skittle I hope it is your kitty. But if it turns out not to be your kitty, are you willing to take him in? Sounds like an abandoned cat if it isn't yours. In need of a good home. :angel:

That's a good thought. If it's not my kitty, and the cat is friendly (as in, able to be caught), I will certainly take him/her in and make some found kitty posters. I'm glad you suggested that.

That's a good thought. If it's not my kitty, and the cat is friendly (as in, able to be caught), I will certainly take him/her in and make some found kitty posters. I'm glad you suggested that.

I can understand if it is a feral cat. They can be hard to turn into a pet. Good luck. :angel:

Addie said:
I can understand if it is a feral cat. They can be hard to turn into a pet. Good luck. :angel:

Hard to catch, and harder to turn into a pet. But if we will see. Hopefully it's just my cat! That would be so amazing!

Well, no luck finding the cat, but since this guy said he's been in the area for weeks, I started knocking on doors. 3 other people claim to have seen him, and I handed out 15 slips with my name and number. Hopefully something comes of it... I'm going to go back to the spot that seems to be his home base closer to dusk, and again in the early morning. Man I hope it's him...

Have you considered putting some food near the shed where he is spotted most? He just might come out of hiding and come for it while you are there.

You realize you have me caring about this cat along with you. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom