"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-05-2012, 11:32 AM   #161
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
BT, what a gorgeous cat! And that little baseball cap is adorable.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:37 AM   #162
Chef Extraordinaire

And people think I'm a bit over-the-top because I made coats for the girls...a batter's helmet for a cat? (It is very cute--my Newfie had a baseball visor...among other hats/bandanas/bibs).

Old 08-05-2012, 12:24 PM   #163
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
BT, what a gorgeous cat! And that little baseball cap is adorable.
The cat is delightful, but the cap has to go. A Boston Red Sox one would look so much betterr. Right Andy?
Old 08-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #164
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks, everyone. mush is a really good boy.

the batters helmet was actually a cup within which ice ceeam was once served.

mush really did come from a shelter. he was rescued from a "crazy cat lady" house with 27 other cats.

hmmm, 27 cats, 27 world championships. i'm beginning to see a theme.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:20 PM   #165
Chef Extraordinaire

If I was one of those rich witches like the Helmsley woman, and I was to leave my fortune to cats, I would have several stipulations. The funds are only to be used for supplies for neutering/spaying provided the cost was matched by the donation of the surgeons time. That is where the biggest expense is. I don't see why they can't take a third year student in vet medicine and have them do a stint doing the surgeries.

Unfortunately, my son still can't afford to have Teddy Bear neutered. Everytime either one of us has the money combined to get the job done, something else comes up. And Teddy has to wait. We have several programs that offer to pay for part of it, but it still is not enough. The last visit to the vet Tedddy got all his yearly shots. And he needed a new rabies license, then a haircut, etc. It all came to over $200.00. We are both living on SS and/or Disability money. It really disturbs me that we can't not afford this simple procedure. And I say "we" even though Teddy belongs to my son. Fortunately, Teddy in his daily walks has not come across any females in heat. Although he will jump anything in his path.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:25 PM   #166
Executive Chef

Addie,

To my knowledge there are shelters which provide this service based on scale or gratis ... I had posted some info on a friend who is a Foster Cat & Kitten Caretaker in West Palm Beach: chefedb60@hotmail.com

Perhaps Ed and Barbara can assist in a Boston Shelter which can provide the neuturing operation.

Why donīt you write him and her ? Just mention, that we blog together.

Thanks, have a wonderful August.
Margi.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #167
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks Margi. I will contact them when my son comes over tonight. Anything that helps is deeplly appreciated.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #168
Executive Chef

Addie,

Ed and Barbara Buchanan are wonderful people, and Ed is a Culinary Instructor and Chef. They care for rescued kits and cats, and work with all the various shelters in Florida ( West Palm & Palm Beach Beach ). Perhaps, they have a contact for you.

Keep me posted,
Have a lovely summer Addie,
Margi.
Old 08-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #169
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
Addie,

Ed and Barbara Buchanan are wonderful people, and Ed is a Culinary Instructor and Chef. They care for rescued kits and cats, and work with all the various shelters in Florida ( West Palm & Palm Beach Beach ). Perhaps, they have a contact for you.

Keep me posted,
Have a lovely summer Addie,
Margi.
Thanks Margi. I have the info written down and my son is coming over this afternoon.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:55 AM   #170
Master Chef

When I got my doggie from a no-kill facility (Safe Haven), I told my mother that I'd spent the money she gave us for our birthdays on a new dog (my husband fell in love with a photo in the paper). Mom said, no way you got a dog for $150, even a mutt from the shelter costs more than that.

I told her $180, and I tossed in $20 as a donation. Are you ready for this?

She was bathed just before we picked her up.
She had been chipped.
All her shots were done.
She'd been Frontline'd
She'd been recently fixed.

Safe Haven asked for references. They called 4 people and asked if we were good pet parents.

I agreed in advance that if I couldn't keep her for any reason, I was to contact them first, to take her back (I actually came close to doing this because she was quite aggressive at first). With a lot of help from my DC friends and some trainers who read my column, it worked and we were able to keep her.

I worked with a vet for a year, and my sister worked for a vet for many years. People need to know there is no such thing as a "free" pet. It's irresponsible to keep a pet without "fixing" it, unless you are a real breeder. My own vet looked at Rosebud's paperwork and accepted her, because she knew the volunteer vet who had done her workup.

All of the things that were done for her, I'd have done immediately. Trust me, it would have cost well over the $200 I paid for her.

People mean well when they adopt a pet, but often they don't think about the expenses. To me, "fixing" a dog or cat should come before feeding, even. Especially if it is a male. Once upon a time, many years ago, I decided that I wouldn't have any male pets. All of ours wandered. I only recently learned that Mom never fixed male dogs/cats. I guess it's sort of, well, it can't get pregnant, so it isn't my problem. As a result, I only have had girls.

Another thing is that many people have a "thing" about large dogs as opposed to smaller. We're talking expenses here, right? Some things go by the pound; anesthesia, Frontline, Heartworm meds. You should remember that when deciding on a pet. Can you afford an 80 pound dog?

Training. You can, if you wish to, get away with bloody murder with a small dog. A large dog needs to be trained (yes, the smaller ones should be, but if a 20 lbs dog bites your ankle, it is not the same as a 90 lb dog biting a child's face). ... and I might add, really, really trained. A big part of the reason I almost returned Rosebud was that she can jump 4+ feet and was jumping and snapping at my and my husband's faces. We trained her out of it. If she was a large dog, I don't think I could have done that.

Just remember, think of the expense when you adopt. The $200 I spent to "buy" Rosebud from the shelter was a fraction of what I'd have spent had I just picked her up on the side of the road. I just think people should bear in mind that you may well mean well, but it is a life-time commitment. And it is not cheap.