"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-11-2012, 10:48 AM   #211
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Addie, Teddy reminds me of my little doggie (long gone) who hurt her leg once. It gave her a limp. But then she kept on limping and limping off and on. I took her back to our vet, who examined her, and asked if we picked her up and otherwise coddled her when she limped. Well, yes. "Nothing wrong with her, she's just working you. She limps, she gets a reward. Ignore it, it will go away." Yes, it did. She really knew that limping got her what she wanted.
We babysat Quincy, a chow, while her person was on vacation. She had been in a car accident and had a front leg amputated. She got sympathy from her person for walking and sitting funny and having trouble with stairs.

But, she figured out right away that she would get more points with us if she was brave dog. So, no sitting funny or walking funny when I was around. She even ran up the outdoor, back stairs (a very open spiral staircase).

Old 08-11-2012, 03:42 PM   #212
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
That is so cute really, it is amazing how much they really are like us

What type of breed is he Addie?
He is a purebred Maltese. But I love him to death. He is two years old. I used to have his pic for my avatar. I should use it again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	039.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	15240  

Old 08-14-2012, 06:22 AM   #213
Chef Extraordinaire

OMG, I just thought of Hootie today. Hootie was a cocker spaniel (he has since crossed over to Rainbow Bridge). Hootie was a gorgeous black cocker spaniel. His owner decided she no longer wanted him. Rescue was full, the shelter was full. She couldn't wait. Her solution was to tie him in the driveway and run over him with the car. A neighbor intervened. Hootie didn't die, but he had several broken bones, etc. Fast forward, a cocker spaniel rescue group took him in from the HS. Fast forward again, a couple in Ottawa, ON that loved, loved, loved Cockers were looking to adopt a dog. I did the home visit--lovely people, good home except they lived on the 10th floor of a condo building. The wife worked for an embassy, as did the husband. They had another cocker, had a "sand pit" set up in the diningroom for the dog if it needed to go out at night. Had steps made so the dog could get on the bed. They made their environment work. They loved their cocker and obviously were willing to make concessions. I said "yes" to the home being a good home for Hootie (never regretted that).

Fast forward again, Hootie came to Canada and lived with them (I picked him up in Syracuse after he'd had some surgeries, etc.). He did regain the use of his back legs, but it was a long process. He was a great companion for these folks. They adopted 2 more special needs' cockers after Hootie. Moral of the story is that one should not get a pet if one cannot keep a 12-year or so commitment.

Ironic thing about Hootie--he wasn't afraid of cars and he still loved people--go figure. He's at Rainbow Bridge--he might be on the judging committee re: people that get to spend eternity at Rainbow Bridge. I hope he casts a vote in my favor when I'm waiting to cross Rainbow Bridge!
Old 08-14-2012, 06:32 AM   #214
Executive Chef

Addie: Maltese

Buon Giorno, Addie, Good Morning.

Thanks for your feedback. My friend Philippa in Hoboken, New Jersey used to have an adorable Maltese. Cutie ... Thanks for posting photo, and I remember when this photo had been your Avatar.

Have lovely August.
Margi.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:34 AM   #215
Chef Extraordinaire

CW, we know how pets can give us so much love. But they also have such a large capacity to forgive.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:38 AM   #216
Executive Chef

Thanks for all the other contributions though one of these contributions, brought forth by Cws:

I have personally not finished reading in total, due to the craziness and mentally insane actions of the unknown psychos being written about ... ( Not the Forum Members )

Just too heavy. Really horrendous ... what people do to animals.

Have nice August.
Margaux.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:40 AM   #217
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
Buon Giorno, Addie, Good Morning.

Thanks for your feedback. My friend Philippa in Hoboken, New Jersey used to have an adorable Maltese. Cutie ... Thanks for posting photo, and I remember when this photo had been your Avatar.

Have lovely August.
Margi.
My son mentioned to me the other day that you can tell he is an outside dog. His nose is black. When his breed is kept inside, the nose is pink. That is why you see a lot of dogs at dog shows with pink noses. They are pampered to death.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:42 AM   #218
Executive Chef

Tax Lady,

I am very fond of Chows ... They have quite a "brava" ... Braveness in stature too and lovely fur ... We have friends who have an old Red fellow ... He is a unique canine too.

Have nice August.
Margi.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:16 AM   #219
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
CW, we know how pets can give us so much love. But they also have such a large capacity to forgive.
Hootie had that capacity.

I heard on NPR that counties in NY state are tightening up on animal cruelty laws. Hootie, fwiw, was in New Jersey, sent to a rescue group in MD, given a ride to NY state by a Newf breeder in PA, and driven from there by an ON rescue volunteer. Not quite 36 people, but darned near if you count the neighbour who intervened, the vet who treated him, etc., etc.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:36 AM   #220
Executive Chef

Buon Giorno, Good Morning Ladies,

Dogs have an enormous capacity to forgive ... They know when someone is disturbed and they are extraordinairely sensitive to people suffering.

However, Cats possess an elephant´s memory and are not at all forgiving nor are Elephants or Horses or Donkies or Bulls, Cows, Cattle.

They never forget a wrong. I had lived with four cats throughout my lifetime ( to 1992 ).

Thanks for feedback.
Margi.