"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-14-2012, 11:06 PM   #231
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

My horse when I was a teen was a rescue. Horribly malnourished and beaten, it took me 2 weeks to gain her trust and a month to gain her love. We worked together for 4 years, her last years were a joy.

Old 08-18-2012, 07:41 PM   #232
Chef Extraordinaire

That is fabulous what you have done Fiona, good on you!

Old 08-19-2012, 02:54 PM   #233
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

This was in my e-mail this morning:

In 2003, police in Warwickshire , England, opened a garden shed and found a whimpering, cowering dog. The dog had been locked in the shed and abandoned. It was dirty and malnourished, and had quite clearly been abused.

In an act of kindness, the police took the dog, which was a female greyhound, to the Nuneaton Warwickshire Wildlife Sanctuary, which is run by a man named Geoff Grewcock, and known as a haven for animals abandoned, orphaned, or otherwise in need.

Geoff and the other sanctuary staff went to work with two aims: to restore the dog to full health, and to win her trust. It took several weeks, but eventually both goals were achieved. They named her Jasmine, and they started to think about finding her an adoptive home.

Jasmine, however, had other ideas. No one quite remembers how it came about, but Jasmine started welcoming all animal arrivals at the sanctuary. It would not matter if it were a puppy, a fox cub, a rabbit or, any other lost or hurting animal. Jasmine would just peer into the box or cage and, when and where possible, deliver a welcoming lick.

Geoff relates one of the early incidents. "We had two puppies that had been abandoned by a nearby railway line. One was a Lakeland Terrier cross and another was a Jack Russell Doberman cross. They were tiny when they arrived at the center, and Jasmine approached them and grabbed one by the scruff of the neck in her mouth and put him on the settee. Then she fetched the other one and sat down with them, cuddling them."

"But she is like that with all of our animals, even the rabbits. She takes all the stress out of them, and it helps them to not only feel close to her, but to settle into their new surroundings. She has done the same with the fox and badger cubs, she licks the rabbits and guinea pigs, and even lets the birds perch on the bridge of her nose."

Jasmine, the timid, abused, deserted waif, became the animal sanctuary's resident surrogate mother, a role for which she might have been born. The list of orphaned and abandoned youngsters she has cared for comprises five fox cubs, four badger cubs, fifteen chicks, eight guinea pigs, two stray puppies and fifteen rabbits - and one roe deer fawn. Tiny Bramble, eleven weeks old, was found semi-conscious in a field. Upon arrival at the sanctuary, Jasmine cuddled up to her to keep her warm, and then went into the full foster-mum role. Jasmine the greyhound showers Bramble the roe deer with affection, and makes sure nothing is matted.

"They are inseparable," says Geoff. "Bramble walks between her legs, and they keep kissing each other. They walk together round the sanctuary. It's a real treat to see them."

Jasmine will continue to care for Bramble until she is old enough to be returned to woodland life. When that happens, Jasmine will not be lonely. She will be too busy showering love and affection on the next orphan or victim of abuse.

Pictured from the left are: "Toby," a stray Lakeland dog; "Bramble," orphaned roe deer; "Buster," a stray Jack Russell; a dumped rabbit; "Sky," an injured barn owl; and "Jasmine," with a mother's heart doing best what a caring mother would do...

Please pass this along, and maybe make someone else's day just a little brighter!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ATT61353.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	15391   Click image for larger version

Name:	ATT61354.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	15392  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ATT61355.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	15393   Click image for larger version

Name:	ATT61356.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	15394  

Attached Images

Old 08-19-2012, 03:15 PM   #234
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

PF, I can't get the pics on either the app or the regular site. Lovely story, though!
Old 08-19-2012, 04:28 PM   #235
Executive Chef

I can't get the pictures either, but I bet they are great! Wonderful story. Thanks.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:51 PM   #236
Sous Chef

Nope, no pics :( love the story tho!
Old 08-19-2012, 05:59 PM   #237
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Well, I can't get them in the right places, but the pics are attached at the end of the post.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:00 PM   #238
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

There they are now! What did you do?

Adorable! A greyhound with a bunny, who knew?
Old 08-19-2012, 06:12 PM   #239
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
There they are now! What did you do?

Adorable! A greyhound with a bunny, who knew?
I had to copy them from here and then attach them. I had already sent the e-mail on and deleted it.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:32 PM   #240
Executive Chef

Nice PF. The last picture is so cute. The other canine in the picture doesn't look too sure of things. It really shows how unusual it is for the greyhound to take to the others like she did. Priceless!