"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-27-2012, 11:24 AM   #251
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
+1

Adopting a rescued animal--whether it be a dog, chicken (yes, there are rescue orgs for battery farm chickens), cat, parrot, horse, goat, sheep, etc. is a wonderful act of showing one's humanity.

For as long as I can remember, all my pets are/have been rescues.

Our sweet, nutty boxer, Harley, came to us nearly two years ago from our local shelter and all of my kitties over the last 20 years have been strays or offspring of our strays. I couldn't love them more.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:38 PM   #252
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
For as long as I can remember, all my pets are/have been rescues.

Our sweet, nutty boxer, Harley, came to us nearly two years ago from our local shelter and all of my kitties over the last 20 years have been strays or offspring of our strays. I couldn't love them more.
+1 I've only had one dog that came to me as a puppy--he was a "thank you gift" that his mother gave me (she was in whelped and whelped puppies 3 weeks after I picked her up). He wasn't planned, but man, did I love that boy for the 13+ years he shared my life. From the moment I breathed life into him until he died in my arms. Miss him still.

And thanks to him and his sister, I never want to raise puppies!

"We don't want to sleep today! We want to get up and play!" And play, play, and play.

I worked from home and having these two wild puppies (whose mother walked away from them at 4 weeks---hmmmm....reminds me of Miss Broody) interrupted my work day every 2-3 hours was very tiring (not to mention--made it hard to meet deadlines).

Old 08-28-2012, 05:52 AM   #253
Master Chef

Thank you, CWS. I'm a word person and just couldn't think of it!
Old 08-28-2012, 09:02 AM   #254
Chef Extraordinaire

Good morning everyone. I feel really good today. No aches and pains. I think it is because of Teddy. I was taking a nap last night and my son came with Teddy. He jumped up on my bed and was patiently waiting for his back and tummy scratch. Finally he could wait no longer. He started to bark right in my ear. That got my attention real quick. He likes to go in the bathroom and lay down on the soft bath mat. I think I am going to get him a bed for here. He deserves it. He does give me a lot of happiness.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:52 PM   #255
Master Chef

Our second dog was a rescue. A friend of my mom found the litter abandoned at the roadside. She took them in on her farm and found homes for all but one. She decided to keep it then her husband became ill and she couldn't care for all the animals and him. She downsized to just her oldest dog and found homes for all the rest. We took in Rags. She was a good dog for 16 years. Our current cat we rescued. She was born in our back yard to a feral cat. Mama cat took the other 2 kittens but left this one. We brought her in and have given her a home. We weren't sure about keeping her since DH has had bad reactions to cats in the past but he hasn't had any problems with her at all.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:18 AM   #256
Master Chef

I don't have a cat now, but all of my cats have been feral cats who just decided to move in.
Old 09-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #257
Sous Chef

I actually come to think of the spiders in my house as pets. Yes I am a little nutty lol. There is a big one in the kitchen that I haven't seen before.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-18368580.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	338.5 KB
ID:	15650

Must have moved in after room mate's fiancÚ killed the one that hung out by the garbage can. See? Kill one, and another one twice it's size will take its place. Wish I could catch him and bring him to our new house so she doesn't get him... He's super fast tho.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:15 PM   #258
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
I actually come to think of the spiders in my house as pets. Yes I am a little nutty lol. There is a big one in the kitchen that I haven't seen before.

Attachment 15650

Must have moved in after room mate's fiancÚ killed the one that hung out by the garbage can. See? Kill one, and another one twice it's size will take its place. Wish I could catch him and bring him to our new house so she doesn't get him... He's super fast tho.
Well, if she is super fast, she will probably escape your roommate. No one (except cats) is allowed to kill spiders at my house. Spiders in Quebec don't bite people, but they do eat things I don't like.
Old 09-07-2012, 03:00 PM   #259
Chef Extraordinaire

We have these small Brown Spiders. They don't look dangerous. Bite an adult, they can make an adult very sick. Bite a child, the child will most likely die. What really makes them so dangerous is that they don't need to be provoked to bite.

When I lived in Tacoma, my in-laws paid me $10 each to go to their homes and clean out spider webs or kill the spiders. The whole family was terrified of them. Even the men. I would have done it for nothing, but they insisted. I am not afraid of them, I just know how dangerous some of them can be. They may be one of God's creatures, but they can have the bite of the Devil.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:56 PM   #260
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie
We have these small Brown Spiders. They don't look dangerous. Bite an adult, they can make an adult very sick. Bite a child, the child will most likely die. What really makes them so dangerous is that they don't need to be provoked to bite.

When I lived in Tacoma, my in-laws paid me $10 each to go to their homes and clean out spider webs or kill the spiders. The whole family was terrified of them. Even the men. I would have done it for nothing, but they insisted. I am not afraid of them, I just know how dangerous some of them can be. They may be one of God's creatures, but they can have the bite of the Devil.
It would be a different story if it was a dangerous spider. Brown recluses can live in MN but I've never seen one. It is nice that they kill other bugs, but their webs do get annoying