"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-30-2012, 07:14 PM   #321
Executive Chef

Skittle, when I lost a dog once (4th of July-ran off after hearing fireworks). We found her in a field hiding under some trees and such. She acted wild, even when we tried to catch her to take her home. We had to come back the next day after leaving some of her belongings out for her to sniff. When we came back she still acted like we were strangers. Finally I yelled, "Lady, get in the D__ car!!!" She hopped right in and we cried and took her home.
Also we had a cat that got weirded out when we were moving. Ran off when we were packing things up. He wouldn't come to us when it was time to go. It was a terrible night, and we missed him dearly. The next day we went back to the old house to get him and he wouldn't come to us. Finally, we set a trap with a can of tuna and lucky for us got the right cat in the trap.
You wouldn't think that they would act so wild after just a little bit, but sometimes they do. You may have to trap your own cat to bring him or her home.
Good luck. I really hope it is your kitty.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:46 PM   #322
Sous Chef

I actually just got back from leaving food by the old camper (guy on the phone called it a shed), Addie. Thanks for another good suggestion! If the food starts disappearing but I don't see him, I might just buy a live trap. If that happens I hope I don't catch a skunk!! My dad would always just shoot it if he caught a skunk in the live trap, but I don't own a gun and have never killed anything in my life.... What do I do if that happens???

Old 10-30-2012, 08:34 PM   #323
Executive Chef

We were able to borrow a live trap from the humane society here when we had to trap our cat. That can of tuna could have gotten another cat or something else, but we were lucky and got our own. Maybe someplace around you has one they will let you use or rent for a small price.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:52 PM   #324
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skittle68 View Post
I actually just got back from leaving food by the old camper (guy on the phone called it a shed), Addie. Thanks for another good suggestion! If the food starts disappearing but I don't see him, I might just buy a live trap. If that happens I hope I don't catch a skunk!! My dad would always just shoot it if he caught a skunk in the live trap, but I don't own a gun and have never killed anything in my life.... What do I do if that happens???
If it is a skunk, call the Humane Society to come and free it. Tell them you are afraid if it has rabies. Yes, skunks can get rabies just like racoons and other wild animals.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:08 PM   #325
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
When my indoor cat got out, he forgot who I was within hours. I found him and he ran away. I found him again the next day terrified and hiding in the light well to my basement. I grabbed him quick. When I put him on the floor, he acted like nothing had happened.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:16 PM   #326
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie

If it is a skunk, call the Humane Society to come and free it. Tell them you are afraid if it has rabies. Yes, skunks can get rabies just like racoons and other wild animals.
Poor skunk! They'll cut off its head and send it to a lab for analysis if you tell them that.

From what I've read, the Havahart traps keep the skunk's tail down, so it won't spray. Point it in the direction you want it to go, stand behind the trap, and release, then run like hell in the opposite direction!

We had a couple mutts years ago that a neighbor's son released while we were on vacation. We got both back, the male about a month later, found by a hunter, and the female about 3 months later, when she straggled back into the garage, filthy and matted but alive. Both were fine.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:07 AM   #327
Master Chef

A friend just adopted an abandoned kitty. She's very small, with clear blue eyes, and her fur ranges from white to light gray (almost Siamese in pattern). My friend said she wanted to name her ginger. Huh? No, ginger cats are orange. You need to name her something gray, white, or preferably blue (her blue eyes are her outstanding feature, with soft, light gray points around her face that almost look blue as well).

Oh, well. I thought about it this week, and if she were mine, I'd name her from the old movie, Cat Balou!
Old 11-02-2012, 12:41 AM   #328
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
A friend just adopted an abandoned kitty. She's very small, with clear blue eyes, and her fur ranges from white to light gray (almost Siamese in pattern). My friend said she wanted to name her ginger. Huh? No, ginger cats are orange. You need to name her something gray, white, or preferably blue (her blue eyes are her outstanding feature, with soft, light gray points around her face that almost look blue as well).

Oh, well. I thought about it this week, and if she were mine, I'd name her from the old movie, Cat Balou!
Naming a white and grey cat Ginger is like naming a cat Bowser or naming your Rothweiler Fluffy.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:14 AM   #329
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post

I think I would go for the color of her eyes. Azure seems like a nice name for her.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:17 PM   #330
Sous Chef

I just set up a live trap to try to catch my cat. Cross your fingers and wish me luck!! The food I've been putting out has been disappearing, but of course I have no idea what's actually eating it.