"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-20-2012, 12:17 PM   #391
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Shrek says, "He's Grey...he should be Gandalf." Shrek is still in Middle Earth...
Yes! All of our pets have been named for characters from The Lord of the Rings. Currently, we live with Pippen, Elwing and Belladonna, aka Bella.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:07 AM   #392
Master Chef

Pet names can be funny, in that you sort of have to name the pet to bond with her/him but then often think of a more appropriate name later. I have a friend who is somewhat of a pet hoarder (not really, but she does take in a lot of strays and loves certain breeds and buys into them meaning to breed). Anyway she found a cute kitten (yes, side of the road/parking lot dump) and said she was going to name her ginger. NO. She takes my advice seriously. I told her ginger cats are red. Strawberry blond. This kitten is smokey, with almost Siamese markings. Try any other name, but not ginger. (her name is now Bella).

Old 12-23-2012, 01:17 AM   #393
Chef Extraordinaire

It was one of those crazy mornings--snow, snow, snow. I had parked at the end of the driveway so I would not have to shovel (the girls needed feed--feed store closes at noon). Went out around 10:30 to go get feed...couldn't get up the new "ramp" that was added to my driveway when the city upgraded the road. Called a neighbour--he came and pulled me out...but, in the meantime, I called another friend to get her to get me a bag of feed. In between this happening, a German Shepherd showed up at my door. He was wearing TAGS on his collar (I love dogs with tags!). I lured him in to the basement, popped him in a crate, took off his collar and called. The first call went to voice mail...called the 2nd #. About an hour later, the roommate showed up to pick up the big guy. In the meantime, he got lots of dog cookies, water, and a Christmas bandana. I did my good deed for a dog that went as stray. And, I told his owner I was really happy to see a tag for a microchip, a tag for "who to call" and a tag for rabies where I could have called the vet clinic. I was not happy to see the friend toss the big guy in the bed of his pickup truck.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:05 AM   #394
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
In the bed of the pickup truck in this weather?!
Old 12-23-2012, 03:12 AM   #395
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
It was one of those crazy mornings--snow, snow, snow. I had parked at the end of the driveway so I would not have to shovel (the girls needed feed--feed store closes at noon). Went out around 10:30 to go get feed...couldn't get up the new "ramp" that was added to my driveway when the city upgraded the road. Called a neighbour--he came and pulled me out...but, in the meantime, I called another friend to get her to get me a bag of feed. In between this happening, a German Shepherd showed up at my door. He was wearing TAGS on his collar (I love dogs with tags!). I lured him in to the basement, popped him in a crate, took off his collar and called. The first call went to voice mail...called the 2nd #. About an hour later, the roommate showed up to pick up the big guy. In the meantime, he got lots of dog cookies, water, and a Christmas bandana. I did my good deed for a dog that went as stray. And, I told his owner I was really happy to see a tag for a microchip, a tag for "who to call" and a tag for rabies where I could have called the vet clinic. I was not happy to see the friend toss the big guy in the bed of his pickup truck.
If I can't come back as one of your chickens, I want to come back as a stray that finds you.
Old 12-23-2012, 05:50 AM   #396
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
When I lived in Texas, you always saw folks who were going hunting with their dogs in the back of a pickup. And on Saturday night, you heard stories of how their dog got hurt or killed in the back of a pickup. These fools also let their children ride in the back of the pickup. Sitting on the wheel cover above the rim of the bed. In this state, that is now illegal for both. Animals and children. That's why the 'extended' cab was developed.