"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-19-2011, 05:18 PM   #51
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie

Just for information, an Adobe "Flash Player" must be installed into your browser in order to see CWS's web site he posted. I don't know whether you have one as a part of your browser, but that could be the problem.
Good call, Selkie. IPad has no access to Flash. Will have to check it out on the PC. Thanks!

Old 07-19-2011, 05:25 PM   #52
Wine Guy

This is our girl, Clover, who is almost three. She's a purebred Irish Setter rescue dog. Her previous owner thought she would get into the breeding business, but when she ended up overwhelmed with 8 rambunctious Setter puppies, quickly changed her mind and gave them all to an animal shelter in Duluth, MN.

She is just about the sweetest dog you could ever imagine.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:28 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll
This is our girl, Clover, who is almost three. She's a purebred Irish Setter rescue dog. Her previous owner thought she would get into the breeding business, but when she ended up overwhelmed with 8 rambunctious Setter puppies, quickly changed her mind and gave them all to an animal shelter in Duluth, MN.

She's adorable! Just love all these pics!
Old 07-19-2011, 05:30 PM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire

She's adorable!
Old 07-19-2011, 05:32 PM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Good call, Selkie. IPad has no access to Flash. Will have to check it out on the PC. Thanks!
Oh--right, James loves Flash. BTW, he did the graphics for the Cosby Show...and some stuff for Sesame Street as well. I don't have the jpgs on my laptop--they are on my stand-alone but it's upstairs where it is HOT. I can get them off that computer and post them if you'd like.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:35 PM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322
Oh--right, James loves Flash. BTW, he did the graphics for the Cosby Show...and some stuff for Sesame Street as well. I don't have the jpgs on my laptop--they are on my stand-alone but it's upstairs where it is HOT. I can get them off that computer and post them if you'd like.
Thanks! I should be able to access them from my PC with Flash.

Wow, what a talented James! Loved the Cosby show!
Old 07-19-2011, 05:39 PM   #57
Chef Extraordinaire

He's a really great person--and a dog lover! He's adopted/taken in many an abandoned dog in his lifetime. I'm happy to count him as a friend.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:36 PM   #58
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post

She's beautiful!! I love setters, knew one that was a good retriever...she'd go grab the human babies by the collar and drag them back in the yard when they wandered off.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:43 AM   #59
Head Chef

Here is a funny story about my Smudge--he was very matted when I found him, and when he was at the vet, I asked Doctor Ben to shave him a little bit down below, because I could not tell if Smudge was male or female. He did, and he said, "Yep, that's a boy! (Pause) No, wait a minute, there is no penis there. But that is not a vagina! I think this cat must be a hermaphrodite!"

I went home and did some googling (cautiously--who knows what comes up when you insert certain search words!!) and found that poor Smudge must have had the surgery for UTI's. In male cats, the urethra is narrow and blockages are common--to fix that, they sometimes (guys, quit reading right here!!)

split the penis open to make the urethra wider.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:56 AM   #60
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
Here is a funny story about my Smudge--he was very matted when I found him, and when he was at the vet, I asked Doctor Ben to shave him a little bit down below, because I could not tell if Smudge was male or female. He did, and he said, "Yep, that's a boy! (Pause) No, wait a minute, there is no penis there. But that is not a vagina! I think this cat must be a hermaphrodite!"

I went home and did some googling (cautiously--who knows what comes up when you insert certain search words!!) and found that poor Smudge must have had the surgery for UTI's. In male cats, the urethra is narrow and blockages are common--to fix that, they sometimes (guys, quit reading right here!!)

split the penis open to make the urethra wider.
More likely it was stones, not a UTI.
This surgery is becoming more common (also in dogs), but in cats it can be fatal within days. The blockage in cats causes other infections, due to like you said, the passage being so narrow and not being able to pass any urine. Sometimes they do not survive the surgery if they have been blocked for more than a couple days.
So if your male cat stops eating and starts dripping a little blood you better get him to the vet immediately.