Rescued Pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do agree that I think our dogs are trying to "heal" our wounds. Also the salt thing. But they can get very annoying, especially when it is hot and you're sweating, and I cannot believe my prescription ointment can be good for her. When I read this I was amazed at how quickly it worked and emailed the dog trainer who writes the local column.

I think stress makes any and everything worse. The first time I showed symptoms it was odd. Over 50, and these red patches started showing up all over my body. I didn't think psoriasis or eczema, because my father has always had a fairly severe version of the former, and a sis, when young, had the latter, and it didn't look like either. When I pointed it out my regular doc asked me if I have a family history of eczema or psoriasis. Both. next thing I knew, my hair was falling out in clumps. Eczema on the bod, psoriasis on the head. I only had that one bad year. But bad it really was. I'm hoping for good luck in the future! And for you, too!

I am very fortunate that I am using Taclonex. It cost $503.00 a tube. You read it right. $503.00 a tube. Fortunately for me, I get two tubes a month and I don't have to pay a cent. But it does keep my psoriasis under control. I have had psoriasis for more than 50 years. Two of my kids have it also. I have lost count of the number of times I have gone into complete remission. I have no idea why. Once I had such a severe flareup, I had to go into the hospital for a week. Unless I itch, I don't even notice it anymore. Stress plays a major role. I have a friend that has it really bad. I feel so sorry for him. He went on Embrel and it really worked for him. Sometimes I get irritated when someone will ask me "Eeew, what is that?" "Leprosy. Don't touch it or you will make that part of my body fall off. Then you will have to sweep it up." They run the other way. I love playing with peoples' minds. :wacko:

I am very fortunate that I am using Taclonex. It cost $503.00 a tube. You read it right. $503.00 a tube. Fortunately for me, I get two tubes a month and I don't have to pay a cent. But it does keep my psoriasis under control. I have had psoriasis for more than 50 years. Two of my kids have it also. I have lost count of the number of times I have gone into complete remission. I have no idea why. Once I had such a severe flareup, I had to go into the hospital for a week. Unless I itch, I don't even notice it anymore. Stress plays a major role. I have a friend that has it really bad. I feel so sorry for him. He went on Embrel and it really worked for him. Sometimes I get irritated when someone will ask me "Eeew, what is that?" "Leprosy. Don't touch it or you will make that part of my body fall off. Then you will have to sweep it up." They run the other way. I love playing with peoples' minds. :wacko:
:LOL::ROFLMAO:
Not laughing at your psoriasis. You have a wonderful, wicked sense of humour.

:LOL::ROFLMAO:
Not laughing at your psoriasis. You have a wonderful, wicked sense of humour.

My biggest joy in life is doing or saying things that blow folks right off their feet. Nothing to hurt them physically, just mentally. I only do it to folks that deserve it. Rude, ill mannered folks. :ROFLMAO: Like the leprosy. Is there any one who hasn't seen the movie about Father Damien? The priest that worked with the lepers in Hawaii? They used the real lepers in Molokai and paid them to be in the movie. So you get to really see the damage the disease does. Today they have medicine and vaccines to stop the progress of the disease. And BTW your feet and hands do not fall off.

When I lived in Hawaii, the colony was still there. You could visit the island, but the only thing that was there to look at was the scenery and the residents/patients. No facilities for tourists. Most of the regular residents are now gone, and they do have some facilities for tourists. They are in the process of developing the island for tourists.

Did you know that we had a colony for lepers in Louisiana? It no longer exists. But the patients were kept under lock and key. Leprosy is contagious, but with the medicines and vaccines, and it is caught early, it can be contained and stop the contagious part. Leprosy seem to be a disease of tropical local. More than you wanted to know.

My biggest joy in life is doing or saying things that blow folks right off their feet. Nothing to hurt them physically, just mentally. I only do it to folks that deserve it. Rude, ill mannered folks. :ROFLMAO: Like the leprosy. Is there any one who hasn't seen the movie about Father Damien? The priest that worked with the lepers in Hawaii? They used the real lepers in Molokai and paid them to be in the movie. So you get to really see the damage the disease does. Today they have medicine and vaccines to stop the progress of the disease. And BTW your feet and hands do not fall off.

When I lived in Hawaii, the colony was still there. You could visit the island, but the only thing that was there to look at was the scenery and the residents/patients. No facilities for tourists. Most of the regular residents are now gone, and they do have some facilities for tourists. They are in the process of developing the island for tourists.

Did you know that we had a colony for lepers in Louisiana? It no longer exists. But the patients were kept under lock and key. Leprosy is contagious, but with the medicines and vaccines, and it is caught early, it can be contained and stop the contagious part. Leprosy seem to be a disease of tropical local. More than you wanted to know.

I have visited both colonies. As of I think 2000, they were keeping it open for those elderly "lepers" who still needed a place to stay. I visited the one in Hawaii simply because I lived in Hawaii, we were both raised Catholic, and it seemed interesting. In those days it was still very active, with GS nuns who kept it going, and in order to get there, you had to ride a mule down, and children weren't allowed. You could take a small plane. When Father Damien became a saint, husband and I cheered.

Then we were on the road in a trailer and truck, and we were near Carville. I told Jer that it used to be a leper colony. He was interested, so I called around and found out that there were still a few living there; that it was in the process of transferring to be a Louisiana National Guard base, but the lepers would be allowed to live out their lives there (as is what happened in Hawaii, it is now a part of the National Park Service system). When we arrived at Carville, the GIs directed us to the office/museum. The nun running the shop told us that the nun who normally gave a tour was sick, would we mind being guided by one of the residents. No, not at all. As in Kaulapapa, it was fascinating. As at Kaulapapa, we left amid hugs, and gratitude from and for those with the disease (the residents of these "leper colonies" were experimented upon, and helped to find the ways that Hansen's disease is now arrested and victims no longer have to be quaranteened and no longer lose cartilage that used to disfigure them).

I remembered Carville because of a book I read when I was maybe 10, a memoir of a young girl who was placed there in the 50s or 60s. Kaulapapa is infamous for Father Damien and the novel Hawaii by James Michener.

Both tours were given by Hansen's disease victims, and their stories were fascinating.

I know this is WAY off topic, but a subject I could not help but chime in with. The trip to Kaulapapa was especially touching, I still cry when I repeat it. How often does someone say to you (it was late April) "Who paid your taxes on time?" "Well, thank you. I'm alive, and have a lovely son in the U.S. Navy, who was taken from me at birth, and the only reason I even know him and am alive today is because good people like you pay your taxes."

Last edited:
I've rescued and re-homed quite a few strays, and I always tell the person that if it isn't working out, I will gladly take the cat back, no questions asked. I'll even come get him/her. I also do a 6 month check in, just so I know everyone is still happy. Well, one time when I sent a message to the people who were so excited to have a beautiful long haired white cat, they responded that she had accidents on the floor (they stated it in a not so nice way), and they had to "get rid of her". I am still so angry about that. Maybe she was having accidents from the stress of everything changing on her again, because for the couple weeks I had her, she always went in the box. I honestly don't want to know how they "got rid of her." I didn't even respond. I just sent a message to the people who took my most recent rescue. I hope they respond... He was the sweetest cat I've met in a long time. A couple weeks after they took him they sent me a picture, said they'd named him sylvester, and that everyone loved him.

I had a cat who had been found on the street and who occasionally peed in inappropriate places. These weren't accidents. They were intentional. E.g., she climbed into a box of books, on top of the books (while I was watching), and peed; she peed on my clothing; she peed on the floor. I considered having her put down, but I decided that inappropriate peeing wasn't a capital offence. This was when I had had her for less than a year. She never really stopped doing it, but didn't do it as much. She lived with me for 15 years, until she died.

taxlady said:
I had a cat who had been found on the street and who occasionally peed in inappropriate places. These weren't accidents. They were intentional. E.g., she climbed into a box of books, on top of the books (while I was watching), and peed; she peed on my clothing; she peed on the floor. I considered having her put down, but I decided that inappropriate peeing wasn't a capital offence. This was when I had had her for less than a year. She never really stopped doing it, but didn't do it as much. She lived with me for 15 years, until she died.

I don't think the white cat was having accidents either. I imagine it was either intentional, and hopefully would have stopped after she got more settled in, or it's possible they didn't keep the little box clean, and she was finding other spots to go. They also had another cat, which makes the dirty little box even more likely. I really don't know. I was so disgusted that they didn't call me, I didn't even ask.

I don't think the white cat was having accidents either. I imagine it was either intentional, and hopefully would have stopped after she got more settled in, or it's possible they didn't keep the little box clean, and she was finding other spots to go. They also had another cat, which makes the dirty little box even more likely. I really don't know. I was so disgusted that they didn't call me, I didn't even ask.
That is awful that they didn't call you.

Catwoman: I had two British Shorthair male kit kats who lived for 22 years.

Not going in their Litter, is a message ... My viewpoint is, that they are unhappy and / or sick. Cats are very tidy ... and it is also a " turf marking " however, it is quite clear, something is wrong ...

We feed alot of strays in Madrid Capital Alleyways ... and now in Gargano Peninsula, Puglia too.

They have a language that says alot more than we understand ...

Listen carefully.

Best regards and have wonderful summer,
Margaux.

That is great news! Love when a stray finds their fur-ever home!
+1 It only cost me $232. Oh, the rescue group is sending $50 to me to cover the cost of the spay...at humane society rates, I paid $95 for that! :LOL::LOL::LOL:. I wonder which vet is doing the group's spays for that...I've got another stray cat on the property...

That is wonderful Skittle :)

There should be more people like you out there ;)

I've rescued and re-homed quite a few strays, and I always tell the person that if it isn't working out, I will gladly take the cat back, no questions asked. I'll even come get him/her. I also do a 6 month check in, just so I know everyone is still happy. Well, one time when I sent a message to the people who were so excited to have a beautiful long haired white cat, they responded that she had accidents on the floor (they stated it in a not so nice way), and they had to "get rid of her". I am still so angry about that. Maybe she was having accidents from the stress of everything changing on her again, because for the couple weeks I had her, she always went in the box. I honestly don't want to know how they "got rid of her." I didn't even respond. I just sent a message to the people who took my most recent rescue. I hope they respond... He was the sweetest cat I've met in a long time. A couple weeks after they took him they sent me a picture, said they'd named him sylvester, and that everyone loved him.

Anytime I've had cats, their "accidents" have not been accidents, period. They've been (OK, can't resist) pissed off because of having to move their litter box or share it.

The one time I had a dog start to "leak", I went to the vet, who did a full blood work-up, and found she had kidney disease. The Science Diet k/d stopped her peeing in the wrong places. She was given a few months to live, and lived for 18 months (without ever pissing on the bed again).

Assuming you have a clean room with a cleaned daily litter box, if suddenly your cat quits using it, look for emotional upheaval (i.e., a new pet in the house, or for that matter, a new child or husband), and work on that.

here's our most recently rescued pet: mush the cat.

img_1170805_0_3cc5b773bca3fb73ab92624b95796461.jpg

we went to the shelter, found the american league east cellar and rescued him.

Chef, Culinary Instructor, Cat & Kitten Foster Parent

Chef Ed Buchanan is a Chef, Culinary Instructor and Cat & Kitten Foster Care Rescuer, often called a Cat Whisperer ...

His email: chefedb60@hotmail.com

He is a blogger and works with The West Palm Beach, Florida Cat & Kitten Shelters ( which do not perform elimination of species ).

I highly recommend for those interested to email Ed and Barbara, his lovely wife if you have any questions such as:

Urinating out of the box
Dietary Care
Medical
Personalities and Understanding their Cat Language
Etcetra.

He is a true Hero, and caretaker of the homeless kits, cats, ageing and injured.

Kind regards.
Margaux Cintrano.

Back
Top Bottom