"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-18-2012, 10:55 PM   #81
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
That works. Basenjis don't bark, I've read, they kind of chortle. Does Abbie bark?
I wondered the same thing before we picked her up. I was kind of hoping she wouldn't be a barker, but she seems to have no trouble in that area. Must be the yellow lab in her.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:22 PM   #82
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Good call, Selkie. IPad has no access to Flash. Will have to check it out on the PC. Thanks!
When you bring it up on the comp. go to Original, Mixed Media. The painting on the right are her dogs.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:49 PM   #83
Chef Extraordinaire

I am afraid that the little fella on the left has to do for me. There is no way I can take a dog outside for a walk a few times a day. I can't even walk to the end of the driveway. And I certainly can't afford vet bills. So, I am a strong believer that if you can't give a pet all of the proper care it deserves, including vet bills, then you have no business having a pet. And I have a lot of trouble bending over just to pick up a piece of paper. So that leaves out changing a litter box. I get to see Teddy Bear almost every day for about three hours. And my son shows up also at the other end of the leash.

The dog cracks us both up. As soon as they step off the elevator, Teddie strains at his leash. My son undoes him and he rushes to my door Then when my son is too slow, he runs back to hurry him. He knows there are treats on the other side of the door.

I am so glad my son has him. He bought him for his wife just before she died. Teddy Bear was still a puppy when she died. That dog has been a lifesaver for him. He is a part of his wife. Only recently has Son #1 been able to talk about his wife and the dog in the same breath.

Do any of you remember Johnny Carson making fun of folks who would baby talk to their pets? I used to agree with him. Guess what? Now my son and I both do it. Yes, we are guilty.

One last note. I want to thank all of you for taking in rescue animals. I would do the same if I could. Many studies have shown that elderly people live longer and healtheir lives when they have a pet to care for. Keep this in mind as you approach old age.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:01 AM   #84
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Addie, my mom is a lifelong animal lover, but her physical disabilities don't allow her to have a pet either. She sure adores her grandbeagle though! Glad Teddy Bear has his granny!
Old 02-19-2012, 12:03 AM   #85
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I am afraid that the little fella on the left has to do for me. There is no way I can take a dog outside for a walk a few times a day. I can't even walk to the end of the driveway. And I certainly can't afford vet bills. So, I am a strong believer that if you can't give a pet all of the proper care it deserves, including vet bills, then you have no business having a pet. And I have a lot of trouble bending over just to pick up a piece of paper. So that leaves out changing a litter box. I get to see Teddy Bear almost every day for about three hours. And my son shows up also at the other end of the leash.

The dog cracks us both up. As soon as they step off the elevator, Teddie strains at his leash. My son undoes him and he rushes to my door Then when my son is too slow, he runs back to hurry him. He knows there are treats on the other side of the door.

I am so glad my son has him. He bought him for his wife just before she died. Teddy Bear was still a puppy when she died. That dog has been a lifesaver for him. He is a part of his wife. Only recently has Son #1 been able to talk about his wife and the dog in the same breath.

Do any of you remember Johnny Carson making fun of folks who would baby talk to their pets? I used to agree with him. Guess what? Now my son and I both do it. Yes, we are guilty.

One last note. I want to thank all of you for taking in rescue animals. I would do the same if I could. Many studies have shown that elderly people live longer and healtheir lives when they have a pet to care for. Keep this in mind as you approach old age.
I'm a firm believer in animals helping us. I couldn't sleep at night if I didn't have Latté to tell me "Goodnight."

We now have an Admissions dog, Buster, in the facility. He's a fast learner, he knows he gets loves and treats when he gets to my office. I really have to remember to take my camera in...have to get his pic, too!
Old 02-19-2012, 12:10 AM   #86
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

I'm a firm believer in animals helping us. I couldn't sleep at night if I didn't have Latté to tell me "Goodnight."

We now have an Admissions dog, Buster, in the facility. He's a fast learner, he knows he gets loves and treats when he gets to my office. I really have to remember to take my camera in...have to get his pic, too!
Admissions dog You have, what, the pharmacy dog, the file room dog, the office dog Patron, wow! What a great place!

Can't wait to see the pic! What kind of dog is Buster, PF?
Old 02-19-2012, 12:11 AM   #87
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post

The hardest part of being admitted is leaving their pets behind.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:18 AM   #88
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Admissions dog You have, what, the pharmacy dog, the file room dog, the office dog Patron, wow! What a great place!

Can't wait to see the pic! What kind of dog is Buster, PF?
He is an Australian Shepard, the prettiest tan colored eyes! File Room = Medical Records. Patron is the MDS dog...he watches us do the assessments that get the bills paid for insurance, Medicaid and Medicare.

He showed up the other day, trailing his leash and no handler...
Old 02-22-2012, 05:09 PM   #89
Half Baked

We went to 3 dog pounds and all they had were pits and chihuahuas.
This Red Min Pin (Crystal) found us at the 4th one. We have had her for a couple of months now. She can be brat!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4536.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	13073  

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:02 PM   #90
Chef Extraordinaire

With ears like that she can hear all the other doggies in the neighborhood telling her to misbehave.