Rescued Pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And people think I'm a bit over-the-top because I made coats for the girls...a batter's helmet for a cat? (It is very cute--my Newfie had a baseball visor...among other hats/bandanas/bibs).

thanks, everyone. mush is a really good boy.

the batters helmet was actually a cup within which ice ceeam was once served.

mush really did come from a shelter. he was rescued from a "crazy cat lady" house with 27 other cats.

hmmm, 27 cats, 27 world championships. i'm beginning to see a theme.

Last edited:
If I was one of those rich witches like the Helmsley woman, and I was to leave my fortune to cats, I would have several stipulations. The funds are only to be used for supplies for neutering/spaying provided the cost was matched by the donation of the surgeons time. That is where the biggest expense is. I don't see why they can't take a third year student in vet medicine and have them do a stint doing the surgeries.

Unfortunately, my son still can't afford to have Teddy Bear neutered. Everytime either one of us has the money combined to get the job done, something else comes up. And Teddy has to wait. We have several programs that offer to pay for part of it, but it still is not enough. The last visit to the vet Tedddy got all his yearly shots. And he needed a new rabies license, then a haircut, etc. It all came to over $200.00. We are both living on SS and/or Disability money. It really disturbs me that we can't not afford this simple procedure. And I say "we" even though Teddy belongs to my son. Fortunately, Teddy in his daily walks has not come across any females in heat. Although he will jump anything in his path. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Addie,

To my knowledge there are shelters which provide this service based on scale or gratis ... I had posted some info on a friend who is a Foster Cat & Kitten Caretaker in West Palm Beach: chefedb60@hotmail.com

Perhaps Ed and Barbara can assist in a Boston Shelter which can provide the neuturing operation.

Why don´t you write him and her ? Just mention, that we blog together.

Thanks, have a wonderful August.
Margi.

Thanks Margi. I will contact them when my son comes over tonight. Anything that helps is deeplly appreciated. :)

Addie,

Ed and Barbara Buchanan are wonderful people, and Ed is a Culinary Instructor and Chef. They care for rescued kits and cats, and work with all the various shelters in Florida ( West Palm & Palm Beach Beach ). Perhaps, they have a contact for you.

Keep me posted,
Have a lovely summer Addie,
Margi.

Addie,

Ed and Barbara Buchanan are wonderful people, and Ed is a Culinary Instructor and Chef. They care for rescued kits and cats, and work with all the various shelters in Florida ( West Palm & Palm Beach Beach ). Perhaps, they have a contact for you.

Keep me posted,
Have a lovely summer Addie,
Margi.

Thanks Margi. I have the info written down and my son is coming over this afternoon.

When I got my doggie from a no-kill facility (Safe Haven), I told my mother that I'd spent the money she gave us for our birthdays on a new dog (my husband fell in love with a photo in the paper). Mom said, no way you got a dog for $150, even a mutt from the shelter costs more than that.

I told her $180, and I tossed in $20 as a donation. Are you ready for this?

She was bathed just before we picked her up.
She had been chipped.
All her shots were done.
She'd been Frontline'd
She'd been recently fixed.

Safe Haven asked for references. They called 4 people and asked if we were good pet parents.

I agreed in advance that if I couldn't keep her for any reason, I was to contact them first, to take her back (I actually came close to doing this because she was quite aggressive at first). With a lot of help from my DC friends and some trainers who read my column, it worked and we were able to keep her.

I worked with a vet for a year, and my sister worked for a vet for many years. People need to know there is no such thing as a "free" pet. It's irresponsible to keep a pet without "fixing" it, unless you are a real breeder. My own vet looked at Rosebud's paperwork and accepted her, because she knew the volunteer vet who had done her workup.

All of the things that were done for her, I'd have done immediately. Trust me, it would have cost well over the $200 I paid for her.

People mean well when they adopt a pet, but often they don't think about the expenses. To me, "fixing" a dog or cat should come before feeding, even. Especially if it is a male. Once upon a time, many years ago, I decided that I wouldn't have any male pets. All of ours wandered. I only recently learned that Mom never fixed male dogs/cats. I guess it's sort of, well, it can't get pregnant, so it isn't my problem. As a result, I only have had girls.

Another thing is that many people have a "thing" about large dogs as opposed to smaller. We're talking expenses here, right? Some things go by the pound; anesthesia, Frontline, Heartworm meds. You should remember that when deciding on a pet. Can you afford an 80 pound dog?

Training. You can, if you wish to, get away with bloody murder with a small dog. A large dog needs to be trained (yes, the smaller ones should be, but if a 20 lbs dog bites your ankle, it is not the same as a 90 lb dog biting a child's face). ... and I might add, really, really trained. A big part of the reason I almost returned Rosebud was that she can jump 4+ feet and was jumping and snapping at my and my husband's faces. We trained her out of it. If she was a large dog, I don't think I could have done that.

Just remember, think of the expense when you adopt. The $200 I spent to "buy" Rosebud from the shelter was a fraction of what I'd have spent had I just picked her up on the side of the road. I just think people should bear in mind that you may well mean well, but it is a life-time commitment. And it is not cheap.

Shreddy was a "free kitten". I made the vet appointment for the day I picked him up. I brought Shreddy to the vet on the way home. I had him neutered when he was old enough.

My first "free to good home" Newfoundland rang up a $1000 vet bill within the first three weeks. She was in whelp and had to have an emergency C-section. My first "free to good home" Saint Bernard was heartworm positive and had a severe kidney infection...even treated for hw at clinic cost, his first 10 days drained 1200 from my bank account (and that was before he was neutered!). Moral of the story: there is no such thing as a "free to good home" pet. This was in the 1990s. You can imagine what two dogs, same sizes, same conditions, would cost today.

Kitten & Cat Foster Parent Chef Ed Buchanan

Photo Courtesy: Chef Ed Buchanan - West Palm Beach, Florida
E-Mail: chefedb60@hotmail.com

This is the gentleman, I had recommended Addie to E-Mail in reference to her dilemma.

Chef Ed and his wife Barbara, foster care and rescue kittens and cats of all ages. They provide rescue as they are too young for adoption, medicinal care and uncountable love.

Ed and Barbara work with numerous Shelters in Florida, and diligently labor to save the lives and find exemplary homes for their beloved kittens and cats they come into contact with and help.

This Photo is of one of Ed´s latest rescues, a baby Bengal Kitten, just a couple of weeks old. For those interested in adoption, assistance A to Z and / or helping out, please contact Chef Ed.

Attachments

• bengal  kitten Chef Ed.jpg
    bengal kitten Chef Ed.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
I have to agree with you completely and other DC members. I don't have my own pet because I can't even bend over to change the water or food bowl. And If I can't give a pet the complete care and love they deserve, then I have no business having one.

When my son got the Maltese dog for his wife as a companion, he bought the dog from a registered breeder. Both parents are AKC registered. But I have to admit, I was in somewhat of a shock at just how responsible he is as a pet owner. He takes Teddy out three or more times a day for an hour or more walking. Even in the most horrible weather. There are a couple of fat overweight Malteses in the neighborhood and it disgusts him that anyone can let their pet get like that. With enough exercise and the proper amount of the right food, it doesn't need to happen. Everywhere he takes Teddy, folks have treats that they give him. So Teddy has to get more exercise than he would if he was a lazy dog. Every-time Teddy gets a haircut, he looks like a refugee dog. All bones. The vet said he was too thin the last time he took him to see him. My son took that as a compliment. Teddy gets enough food, and enough exercise.

Every time he takes Teddy out he grabs a handful of inexpensive sandwich bags to pick up any of his droppings. There are only two places where he will let him off the leash. At the beach providing there are no non-fixed female dogs romping around and in heat. He knows all the dogs that go there. Also there is a station that you can grab plastic biodegradable bags to pick up the droppings on your dog. The other place is the huge fenced in ball park just a stones throw from his house. The same rules apply there. Last year there was a hawk family that had a nest and some babies in the nest. They looked down of all white Teddy and thought he would make a good meal. That's another story.

All other times he keeps him on the leash. He does not let him run loose nilly willy. He is very conscious of his dietary needs. He makes sure he gets his heart-worm med every month. In the warm weather he checks Teddy for ticks every time he brings him back in the house. Even if the dog hasn't been in grass. As a baby, Teddy had a habit of loving to nip the back of ankles. That came to a quick stop. Teddy is a fun dog. But my son will tolerate no nonsense when it comes to bad behavior. He constantly keeps up with his training so that he won't forget it.

When his wife died shortly after they got Teddy, the poor dog was lost. My son kept that dog at his side every single day, all day long. They both shared the loss together. He really surprised me in just how responsible a pet owner he is.

The last dog he had was a mixed breed amputee that he got from the dog pound. That dog went everywhere with him also. The only problem with her was that she just loved everyone. He held her in his arms when it came time to put her down.

Addie: We do not have pets because we travel alot

Thanks so much for your anecdotes. I always enjoy your short stories ... and the wise advice between the written lines ...

The Vet and I do not own any pets any more because we travel alot and are not home all day. The Gals, one lives in Switzerland & the other in Saint Augustine, Florida now ... Then, still have Mom Eva in Florida, and so, when we cross the Big Blue Pond, it would be quite complicated with two kit kats ...

I like dogs, however, I am more of a Feline Woman.

My husband has a horse and 2 donkies, at the stables at one of the Vet. Hospital Clinics he does research at ... This is a bit different, as they are not in a small apartment ! :ROFLMAO:

Years ago, I had two British Shorthair Cats, a black and a blue cream who lived until they were 22 yrs. old.

I also grew up with a Seal Point & a Blue Point Siamese ...

However, now we just do not wish to take on the long term commitment.

I wanted you to see the little Bengal Tiger Kitten, so you would know, they type of Foster Parent Ed is ...

Kind regards.
Ciao, Margi.

When I got my doggie from a no-kill facility (Safe Haven), I told my mother that I'd spent the money she gave us for our birthdays on a new dog (my husband fell in love with a photo in the paper). Mom said, no way you got a dog for $150, even a mutt from the shelter costs more than that.

I told her $180, and I tossed in $20 as a donation. Are you ready for this?

She was bathed just before we picked her up.
She had been chipped.
All her shots were done.
She'd been Frontline'd
She'd been recently fixed.

Safe Haven asked for references. They called 4 people and asked if we were good pet parents.

I agreed in advance that if I couldn't keep her for any reason, I was to contact them first, to take her back (I actually came close to doing this because she was quite aggressive at first). With a lot of help from my DC friends and some trainers who read my column, it worked and we were able to keep her.

I worked with a vet for a year, and my sister worked for a vet for many years. People need to know there is no such thing as a "free" pet. It's irresponsible to keep a pet without "fixing" it, unless you are a real breeder. My own vet looked at Rosebud's paperwork and accepted her, because she knew the volunteer vet who had done her workup.

All of the things that were done for her, I'd have done immediately. Trust me, it would have cost well over the $200 I paid for her.

People mean well when they adopt a pet, but often they don't think about the expenses. To me, "fixing" a dog or cat should come before feeding, even. Especially if it is a male. Once upon a time, many years ago, I decided that I wouldn't have any male pets. All of ours wandered. I only recently learned that Mom never fixed male dogs/cats. I guess it's sort of, well, it can't get pregnant, so it isn't my problem. As a result, I only have had girls.

Another thing is that many people have a "thing" about large dogs as opposed to smaller. We're talking expenses here, right? Some things go by the pound; anesthesia, Frontline, Heartworm meds. You should remember that when deciding on a pet. Can you afford an 80 pound dog?

Training. You can, if you wish to, get away with bloody murder with a small dog. A large dog needs to be trained (yes, the smaller ones should be, but if a 20 lbs dog bites your ankle, it is not the same as a 90 lb dog biting a child's face). ... and I might add, really, really trained. A big part of the reason I almost returned Rosebud was that she can jump 4+ feet and was jumping and snapping at my and my husband's faces. We trained her out of it. If she was a large dog, I don't think I could have done that.

Just remember, think of the expense when you adopt. The $200 I spent to "buy" Rosebud from the shelter was a fraction of what I'd have spent had I just picked her up on the side of the road. I just think people should bear in mind that you may well mean well, but it is a life-time commitment. And it is not cheap.
Our adoption application to adopt a Saint or Newf was 12 pages long, required 2 personal references, a vet reference, credit check, and a trainer reference / boarding kennel. I was often told adopting one of our dogs was tougher than adopting a child or getting a mortgage. There were also 2 home visits prior to adoption, 1-month follow up visit, and every month check-ins for 6 months, then the adoption contract was signed (15 pages). I still know where each of the dog's are, and hear from each adopter regularly. I also am friends with those who no longer have a rescued Saint/Newf from our group, but have moved on. I also am there for the adopters when it is time to say good-bye:(. It was a lot of work, the dogs were sterilized, chipped, vax'd, hw tested and on meds, trained, groomed, socialized, but most importantly, loved while awaiting a fur-ever home and treasured once they had a permanent place to hang their leashes. I can't do rescue anymore because of the financial drain and because I have to be available to go to MN on a moment's notice. I can get the chickens to the farm, Cliff to his "fosters" but could not get 3-4 Saints to fosters or have kennel help come in while away. I miss it, but I'm also glad that part of my life is behind me. It was emotionally very, very draining. But, some of my closest friends are those I met because of the dogs.

I have Cliff because the adoption didn't work out. I have had 5 dogs because the adoption didn't work. I promised to take the dogs back, and I did. Not that I wanted to, not that it was convenient, but that was my promise. Several of the dogs that didn't fit were dogs that were dumped on us by other rescue groups...don't get me started on not knowing the breed and placing it...

Last edited:
Tax Lady: The Bengal Kitten

Buonasera, Good Evening,

He is divine ... Not just cute ! I would take him or her ( I hadn´t been told the gender yet ) however, he or she is in West Palm Beach and that is worlds away ...

This kitten is heavenly ... So sweet ...

Thanks for your feedback,
Margi.

That kitten is just precious. Is Bengal a type of house cat, or is it a baby tiger?

Buonasera Dawgluver, Good Evening,

Bengal Tiger Cats are an Asian Pedigree Breed of Domestic Cat, not leopard or ocelot ...

I am uncertain if this very young kitten is a pedigree or one of his or her parents got out and had an evening frolic with an alley cat --- however, none the less, he or she has been rescued and my friend Chef & Culinary Instructor Ed is a foster parent for kits and cats of all ages, in need of assistance, until homes can be found.

Good people.

Thanks for your support,
Margi.

Back
Top Bottom