Rescued Pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Skittle, when I lost a dog once (4th of July-ran off after hearing fireworks). We found her in a field hiding under some trees and such. She acted wild, even when we tried to catch her to take her home. We had to come back the next day after leaving some of her belongings out for her to sniff. When we came back she still acted like we were strangers. Finally I yelled, "Lady, get in the D__ car!!!" She hopped right in and we cried and took her home.
Also we had a cat that got weirded out when we were moving. Ran off when we were packing things up. He wouldn't come to us when it was time to go. It was a terrible night, and we missed him dearly. The next day we went back to the old house to get him and he wouldn't come to us. Finally, we set a trap with a can of tuna and lucky for us got the right cat in the trap.
You wouldn't think that they would act so wild after just a little bit, but sometimes they do. You may have to trap your own cat to bring him or her home.
Good luck. I really hope it is your kitty.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually just got back from leaving food by the old camper (guy on the phone called it a shed), Addie. Thanks for another good suggestion! If the food starts disappearing but I don't see him, I might just buy a live trap. If that happens I hope I don't catch a skunk!! My dad would always just shoot it if he caught a skunk in the live trap, but I don't own a gun and have never killed anything in my life.... What do I do if that happens???

We were able to borrow a live trap from the humane society here when we had to trap our cat. That can of tuna could have gotten another cat or something else, but we were lucky and got our own. Maybe someplace around you has one they will let you use or rent for a small price.

I actually just got back from leaving food by the old camper (guy on the phone called it a shed), Addie. Thanks for another good suggestion! If the food starts disappearing but I don't see him, I might just buy a live trap. If that happens I hope I don't catch a skunk!! My dad would always just shoot it if he caught a skunk in the live trap, but I don't own a gun and have never killed anything in my life.... What do I do if that happens???

If it is a skunk, call the Humane Society to come and free it. Tell them you are afraid if it has rabies. Yes, skunks can get rabies just like racoons and other wild animals. :angel:

When my indoor cat got out, he forgot who I was within hours. I found him and he ran away. I found him again the next day terrified and hiding in the light well to my basement. I grabbed him quick. When I put him on the floor, he acted like nothing had happened.

Addie said:
If it is a skunk, call the Humane Society to come and free it. Tell them you are afraid if it has rabies. Yes, skunks can get rabies just like racoons and other wild animals. :angel:

Poor skunk! They'll cut off its head and send it to a lab for analysis if you tell them that.

From what I've read, the Havahart traps keep the skunk's tail down, so it won't spray. Point it in the direction you want it to go, stand behind the trap, and release, then run like hell in the opposite direction!

We had a couple mutts years ago that a neighbor's son released while we were on vacation. We got both back, the male about a month later, found by a hunter, and the female about 3 months later, when she straggled back into the garage, filthy and matted but alive. Both were fine.

Last edited:
A friend just adopted an abandoned kitty. She's very small, with clear blue eyes, and her fur ranges from white to light gray (almost Siamese in pattern). My friend said she wanted to name her ginger. Huh? No, ginger cats are orange. You need to name her something gray, white, or preferably blue (her blue eyes are her outstanding feature, with soft, light gray points around her face that almost look blue as well).

Oh, well. I thought about it this week, and if she were mine, I'd name her from the old movie, Cat Balou!

A friend just adopted an abandoned kitty. She's very small, with clear blue eyes, and her fur ranges from white to light gray (almost Siamese in pattern). My friend said she wanted to name her ginger. Huh? No, ginger cats are orange. You need to name her something gray, white, or preferably blue (her blue eyes are her outstanding feature, with soft, light gray points around her face that almost look blue as well).

Oh, well. I thought about it this week, and if she were mine, I'd name her from the old movie, Cat Balou!
Naming a white and grey cat Ginger is like naming a cat Bowser or naming your Rothweiler Fluffy.

I think I would go for the color of her eyes. Azure seems like a nice name for her. :angel:

I just set up a live trap to try to catch my cat. Cross your fingers and wish me luck!! The food I've been putting out has been disappearing, but of course I have no idea what's actually eating it.

Skittle68 said:
I just set up a live trap to try to catch my cat. Cross your fingers and wish me luck!! The food I've been putting out has been disappearing, but of course I have no idea what's actually eating it.

Good luck, Skittle!

taxlady said:
Naming a white and grey cat Ginger is like naming a cat Bowser or naming your Rothweiler Fluffy.

:LOL: Fluffy the Rottweiler, I like it!

I told the friend I'm calling her Cat Balou, Lulu for short. I'm only there for an hour each Tuesday and Friday. But this is a house-hold full of animals. My ladies have full time home care staff; three women who take turns spending the night there and make sure they are well cared-for, not to mention a doctor who does house calls. DO NOT picture a rich house hold. This is just what works for them. I show up every Tuesday and Friday at 3 and stay for about an hour. But their three regular care-givers all have dogs, and they have two cats. The primary care-giver has an incredibly soft spot for animals, so you never know what will show up there. NO, do NOT picture animal hording. I joke that these two ladies (80 and 82) have all of the advantages of pets, none of the work, and the house is immaculate. But I never know what will greet me when I get there. The primary care-giver has huge dogs, and one day had to take them to work with her (with the encouragement of my friends). I think one is a mastiff. I'm talking dogs that might outweigh me, and I'm not a lightweight. Then there's the cats. I always go up there with dog treats in my bag. Two of the care-givers have little doggies (we're talking under ten pounds, I think a peke-poo and a shitty-poo-poo) who immediately greet me. Yah, it's all about the dog treats in my purse.

taxlady said:

Sounds like something I would do. LOL

Skittle,
Did you catch anything yet? Hope your kitty gets caught! Kitty needs to be home again with Mommy!

Yah, it's all about the dog treats in my purse.

I carry them in a pocket at work...I just wish i would remember to empty the pockets before I wash them. Laundered dog treats are icky and they get all over everything.

chopper said:
Skittle,
Did you catch anything yet? Hope your kitty gets caught! Kitty needs to be home again with Mommy!

Nothing yet. Something was in the trap last night- the food was gone and the towel I had in there for bedding was all tousled. Someone must have let whatever it was out? Anyway, I got another call from someone saying he was looking at the cat in his yard right now. I ran over there (took me 5 min), but he had already run off. We walked around calling and shaking a food dish, but there was no sign. I moved the trap to the guy's yard who says he sees him about once a week. Hopefully it will be less likely to be disturbed there, and I'll be much less likely to catch a wild animal. He said he will keep an eye on it and call again if he sees anything. It's looking pretty hopeful, but I still hate to get my hopes up too much, you know?

Back
Top Bottom