"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-12-2011, 11:16 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Rescued Pets

Snip this is my 60kgs South African Boerboel Max Click image for larger version

Name:	garden & BBQ 189.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	11463

Old 07-12-2011, 11:22 AM   #2
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Snip this is my 60kgs South African Boerboel Max Attachment 11463
Aw :) He's gorgeous! I had to leave my boerboel "Sasha" behind when I moved back to Botswana a year ago, miss her terribly but at least I found her a very good home with another family. She's also pretty big, 64kg's. My gentle giant :)
The gentlemen that did our garden service took her from me for his 2 boys and apparently she sleeps on their bed and is still very happy! She's even had her first litter of 5 puppies.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:29 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Max gets to 65kgs in the winter, I got him because his owner wanted an aggressive trophy dog and when he became that he was going to have him put down as he was frightened of him.I still have to be very careful where I take him and very few people are allowed to come close to me or my wife.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:51 AM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Max gets to 65kgs in the winter, I got him because his owner wanted an aggressive trophy dog and when he became that he was going to have him put down as he was frightened of him.I still have to be very careful where I take him and very few people are allowed to come close to me or my wife.
Thank goodness you took him, I got Sasha from the owner of the house we rented. He wanted to get rid of her because she had a bad nature. Not true at all, she was the most placid dog I've ever owned! Just neglected, she was covered in ticks and fleas and had none of her vaccinations. He even let her sleep on the cement floor outside without a kennel.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:34 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
Thank goodness you took him, I got Sasha from the owner of the house we rented. He wanted to get rid of her because she had a bad nature. Not true at all, she was the most placid dog I've ever owned! Just neglected, she was covered in ticks and fleas and had none of her vaccinations. He even let her sleep on the cement floor outside without a kennel.
I'm glad both of you rescued those puppies.
Old 07-13-2011, 12:49 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
Good for you Snip, we both miss Max when we are away so it must be hard for you
Old 07-13-2011, 02:08 AM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Good for you Snip, we both miss Max when we are away so it must be hard for you
I do miss her, the kids even more so. Enjoy Max!

Old 07-13-2011, 07:20 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

When I used to teach obedience classes, we had a 9 mo. old female Boerboel in class. Almost all of the other participants were afraid of her because of "breed misunderstandings." She was the sweetest girl---and so pretty--not to mention smart. I would use her as my demo dog every chance I could. Since I have been involved (understatement) in rescue of Giant and rare breeds since 1998, Bolas, I really appreciate that you gave Max a home! I'm trying to adopt a sr. dog right now...I have a soft spot for sr. dogs.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:20 AM   #9
Executive Chef

I've got two rescued dogs.

Freckles, a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel who was born deaf and dumped with seven of his littermates along the side of a highway. I've had him for 1-1/2 years and we have a vocabulary of about a dozen hand signs. He's very smart and a person-pleaser!

And now I have Cuddles, a female Border Terrier who joined our family just last Thursday. She is a mild mannered sweetheart. She escaped from the yard of her previous family, picked up by the Humane Society, but they didn't want her back.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:42 AM   #10
Master Chef

I still have my rescue dog, thanks to a lot of help, both here and elsewhere. I don't think I could have done it if I had a child or someone elderly lliving with me, but she's turned out to be a dear little doggie and her aggressive early behaviour is almost gone.

Slekie, when my last two dogs became deaf with old age, I had no idea how much of what I say to them is accompanied by hand signals (didn't know I was doing it). One day I grabbed a pot and banged it because I suspected my dog had gone profoundly deaf (she was). I didn't realize when I said things like, go, fetch, stop, etc, I was using my hands. Now I do it on purpose so that when she gets old, she'll still be able to read me.