Rescued Pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Snip this is my 60kgs South African Boerboel Max View attachment 11463

Aw :) He's gorgeous! I had to leave my boerboel "Sasha" behind when I moved back to Botswana a year ago, miss her terribly but at least I found her a very good home with another family. She's also pretty big, 64kg's. My gentle giant :)
The gentlemen that did our garden service took her from me for his 2 boys and apparently she sleeps on their bed and is still very happy! She's even had her first litter of 5 puppies.

Max gets to 65kgs in the winter, I got him because his owner wanted an aggressive trophy dog and when he became that he was going to have him put down as he was frightened of him.I still have to be very careful where I take him and very few people are allowed to come close to me or my wife.

Max gets to 65kgs in the winter, I got him because his owner wanted an aggressive trophy dog and when he became that he was going to have him put down as he was frightened of him.I still have to be very careful where I take him and very few people are allowed to come close to me or my wife.

Thank goodness you took him, I got Sasha from the owner of the house we rented. He wanted to get rid of her because she had a bad nature. Not true at all, she was the most placid dog I've ever owned! Just neglected, she was covered in ticks and fleas and had none of her vaccinations. He even let her sleep on the cement floor outside without a kennel.

Thank goodness you took him, I got Sasha from the owner of the house we rented. He wanted to get rid of her because she had a bad nature. Not true at all, she was the most placid dog I've ever owned! Just neglected, she was covered in ticks and fleas and had none of her vaccinations. He even let her sleep on the cement floor outside without a kennel.

I'm glad both of you rescued those puppies.

Good for you Snip, we both miss Max when we are away so it must be hard for you:)

When I used to teach obedience classes, we had a 9 mo. old female Boerboel in class. Almost all of the other participants were afraid of her because of "breed misunderstandings." She was the sweetest girl---and so pretty--not to mention smart. I would use her as my demo dog every chance I could. Since I have been involved (understatement) in rescue of Giant and rare breeds since 1998, Bolas, I really appreciate that you gave Max a home! I'm trying to adopt a sr. dog right now...I have a soft spot for sr. dogs.

I've got two rescued dogs.

Freckles, a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel who was born deaf and dumped with seven of his littermates along the side of a highway. I've had him for 1-1/2 years and we have a vocabulary of about a dozen hand signs. He's very smart and a person-pleaser!

And now I have Cuddles, a female Border Terrier who joined our family just last Thursday. She is a mild mannered sweetheart. She escaped from the yard of her previous family, picked up by the Humane Society, but they didn't want her back.

29235-albums329-picture2771.jpg

29235-albums329-picture2770.jpg

Last edited:
I still have my rescue dog, thanks to a lot of help, both here and elsewhere. I don't think I could have done it if I had a child or someone elderly lliving with me, but she's turned out to be a dear little doggie and her aggressive early behaviour is almost gone.

Slekie, when my last two dogs became deaf with old age, I had no idea how much of what I say to them is accompanied by hand signals (didn't know I was doing it). One day I grabbed a pot and banged it because I suspected my dog had gone profoundly deaf (she was). I didn't realize when I said things like, go, fetch, stop, etc, I was using my hands. Now I do it on purpose so that when she gets old, she'll still be able to read me.

Last edited:
Here's a couple of my rescues. The little guy in the front is Tyrone Shoelaces, and the big guy behind him is Sabastien Corbetti. Tyrone is a tough sell at adoptions because he doesn't want to be a lap kitty and he doesn't want to cuddle. But, if you have some food, especially lunch meat of some kind, he'll be glad to sit near you and share.

img_1023137_0_ce20538a6b815b9b0d55e7cef0ab67f7.jpg

Here's another of my unadoptable charges. His name is Mr. Spock, because I think all Siamese cats look like Vulcans.

s1042a2739470m6900731.jpg

He was brought to me at 3 months old is very bad condition. He had a severe upper respiratory infection and both eyes were infected. I sat on the couch with him in the crook of my arm, feeding him antibiotics with an eyedropper and rubbing ointment into his eyes. When he finally got better, he hissed at me and ran and hid. I would have to corner him in a closet, throw a towel over his face and scruff him just get him to adoptions, where he was adopted twice and returned twice. That's when we decided he was irreversibly feral and stopped trying to get him adopted. I felt sorry for him as he hunkered down in the back corner of his cage and stared at me. I finally decided he couldn't live like that, so I just opened the cage door and let him have the entire house. He now lives on a shelf inside the back of my Lazy Boy couch. He comes out to eat, drink, and use the litter box. He likes to play with the other cats, mostly my Himalayan, and as long as I am not too close he'll sit on the living room floor and watch television or he'll snuggle up with Tyrone and Sebastien on my bed.

Here's a picture of me, raising money for our rescue group with pet pictures for Christmas. The other guy in the picture is a friend's cat, Kirby. She gets mad when I call him Hoover.

img_1023137_2_3069cbc3d1d63ee51b08ef008cf05c5f.jpg

I do Santa pictures with dogs, too! This was a real fun time. Each of these mastiffs was full grown and they did not want to sit, stay, or roll over. It was like trying to take a picture of a preschool class!

img_1023137_3_5e41b6fd24db2149dbd0e44da2c7c27b.jpg

Last edited:
I've got two rescued dogs.

Freckles, a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel who was born deaf and dumped with seven of his littermates along the side of a highway. I've had him for 1-1/2 years and we have a vocabulary of about a dozen hand signs. He's very smart and a person-pleaser!

And now I have Cuddles, a female Border Terrier who joined our family just last Thursday. She is a mild mannered sweetheart. She escaped from the yard of her previous family, picked up by the Humane Society, but they didn't want her back.

Freckles, very pretty eyes on that Spaniel...and I want to roll on the floor with Cuddles.

Here's a couple of my rescues. The little guy in the front is Tyrone Shoelaces, and the big guy behind him is Sabastien Corbetti. Tyrone is a tough sell at adoptions because he doesn't want to be a lap kitty and he doesn't want to cuddle. But, if you have some food, especially lunch meat of some kind, he'll be glad to sit near you and share.

Here's another of my unadoptable charges. His name is Mr. Spock, because I think all Siamese cats look like Vulcans.

He was brought to me at 3 months old is very bad condition. He had a severe upper respiratory infection and both eyes were infected. I sat on the couch with him in the crook of my arm, feeding him antibiotics with an eyedropper and rubbing ointment into his eyes. When he finally got better, he hissed at me and ran and hid. I would have to corner him in a closet, throw a towel over his face and scruff him just get him to adoptions, where he was adopted twice and returned twice. That's when we decided he was irreversibly feral and stopped trying to get him adopted. I felt sorry for him as he hunkered down in the back corner of his cage and stared at me. I finally decided he couldn't live like that, so I just opened the cage door and let him have the entire house. He now lives on a shelf inside the back of my Lazy Boy couch. He comes out to eat, drink, and use the litter box. He likes to play with the other cats, mostly my Himalayan, and as long as I am not too close he'll sit on the living room floor and watch television or he'll snuggle up with Tyrone and Sebastien on my bed.

Here's a picture of me, raising money for our rescue group with pet pictures for Christmas. The other guy in the picture is a friend's cat, Kirby. She gets mad when I call him Hoover.

I do Santa pictures with dogs, too! This was a real fun time. Each of these mastiffs was full grown and they did not want to sit, stay, or roll over. It was like trying to take a picture of a preschool class!

Mr. Spock is beautiful...my Siamese is standoffish, too...she waits until I am asleep to cuddle. She was found by a friend under a car at a very young age. She lived on Shrek's dresser in the closet for the first couple of weeks., snuggled in a hat brim. Now she takes up a little more space.

Attachments

• my table3.JPG
    my table3.JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 179
When I used to teach obedience classes, we had a 9 mo. old female Boerboel in class. Almost all of the other participants were afraid of her because of "breed misunderstandings." She was the sweetest girl---and so pretty--not to mention smart. I would use her as my demo dog every chance I could. Since I have been involved (understatement) in rescue of Giant and rare breeds since 1998, Bolas, I really appreciate that you gave Max a home! I'm trying to adopt a sr. dog right now...I have a soft spot for sr. dogs.
Thank you, until I got married this time dogs were the only real constant in my life apart from my family, I cant count the number of relationships that foundered with the words "you love that dog more than me" that was not so I only loved the dog.

Sir Beefy well done, the Mastiff pic is excellent. We had a funny event in the UK some month ago when someone abandoned a life sized Tiger doll in a field in an area that has an urban myth about "big cats" Helicopters and Armed Police captured it.

Selkie mate good for you, they both look splendid dogs, the first pic is Puck a Staffy my Dad found eating one of my Mums chickens I was about two yrs old so it was my first dog, the second pick Asia and Max. Max died shortly after I had got him from the rescue about 2yrs before, Asia was the dog love of my life, she had been very badly abused and was a complete mental and physical wreck when I got her.Asia actually save my life.
img031.jpg

img001 modified.jpg

Bolas, "...Asia was the dog love of my life, she had been very badly abused and was a complete mental and physical wreck when I got her.Asia actually save my life."

How did that happen?

Some of you may remember when I adopted these three little kitties, they were terribly sick and had thick flea dirt EVERYWHERE. It took a little over a month of coming home at lunchtime and running the shower hot and steaming their little noses, and constant care, but the two got better. One of them passed away a few days later. Well.. before and after pics! lol... Kass is fat now, Leo is normal sized for a healthy boy and is my baby. Kass is lighter, Leo is darker.

Attachments

• all 3 kitties.jpg
    all 3 kitties.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 229
  • leoandkass.jpg
    leoandkass.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 187
  • kass.jpg
    kass.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 189
  • minimini.jpg
    minimini.jpg