"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-31-2008, 11:46 PM   #31
Sous Chef

We are hurting to but not as bad it seems, Starbucks are closing 61 outlets here but the others are hanging in. People now have no disposable income left over for the luxuries they normally enjoy so the belts have tightened and the restaurants and take outs are the first to feel this effect.
For us it is going to get worse before things get better, our mortgage rates are now almost 10%, The weak US dollar has contributed to the fuel hikes which the oil companies love [BP is reporting a $9.8 billion profit for the last quarter] and I guess Texaco is doing better than that.
Our past alliance with China and now India has saved us with their insatiable demand for iron ore, coal and gas. We bring in thousands of skilled workers now to try and keep up and this reverberates all the way down to people like Mc'D's and KFC who now recruit workers from the Philippines.
I read this morning that your GDP growth has slowed to 1.9%, that's not good when you consider China is predicting theirs to slow to 10.8% this year.
You could always jump ship and come join us ----- [Conditions apply]

Old 08-01-2008, 12:07 AM   #32
Master Chef

I'll be right there! Oh wait, ya'll got that nasty snake down there don't ya??? Anywhere down there free of snakes and I would be happy to go down under!

Old 08-01-2008, 12:55 AM   #33
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
I'll be right there! Oh wait, ya'll got that nasty snake down there don't ya??? Anywhere down there free of snakes and I would be happy to go down under!
Lots of snakes Mav------ but mostly in the bush. There's a simple rule with them, if they climb trees they're not poisonous, if they don't ---- run.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:02 AM   #34
Master Chef

I have a simple rule, if I am armed they should run. If I am not armed, I'm runnin! LOL I have a serious aversion to them!
Old 08-01-2008, 06:31 AM   #35
Executive Chef

one thing I see as being different this time, is the federal budget deficit. I rarely see this mentioned in the press. We have never operated under such a hugh budget deficit. Any one know how this effects the current economic conditions?
Old 08-01-2008, 07:58 AM   #36
Executive Chef

another few thoughts before I head out to pick beans to can today.....I am after a discussion of your strageties of dealing with the unfolding economic conditions. I do feel we have an elephant in the room with this out of control budget deficit. I also have had recent experience with Medicare. I have been shocked at the things Medicare has paid for relating to my mother. I have been paying my mom's bills since Oct 07 and Medicare and her insurance have paid close to $25,000, just since Oct. I would not be surprised if they have paid close to a half million in her lifetime.

We have no debt. That used to be wise. Is it still wise? We have been planning to retire dh real soon. Now, not so sure. Just looking for ideas of how to proceed for the next 10 to 20 years....
Old 08-01-2008, 08:41 AM   #37
Chief Eating Officer

We have strayed far from the original topic of these restaurants closing and have started to get political. We need to get back to the topic at hand and not let this go into territory it should not go. I know that is difficult because this is a political situation to a degree, but I know we can do it.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:43 AM   #38
Sous Chef

Back on subject - the closing of Bennigan's and Steak and Ale. IMHO they faced competition they were ill-prepared for.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:47 AM   #39
Chief Eating Officer

I actually have not seen a Bennigan's in many years. I had forgotten they even existed until this week. We never had Steak and Ale around here as far as I know. I have never seen one.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:49 AM   #40
Executive Chef

There's some Bennigans in Jersey.