Restaurant dress codes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
However, what I cannot stand is seeing men wearing bow ties. It's a personal thing, but I feel bows are effeminate and those clip-on types are dreadful, but dress codes onboard ship demand bow ties to be worn. Why not a lovely silk straight tie, perhaps? And, I really cannot stand seeing a man wearing a white dinner jacket. Reminds me of an ice cream vendor. :LOL:

Hah-hah ... if you think bow ties or tacky, you should come out west where some gentlemen wear string ties.

bootlace-cowboy-tie.jpg

On a cruise to the Med last year, there was a lovely old man wearing one of those string ties. It was silver-capped.

If the men's requirement is "tie and jacket" then no, skate shoes or crocs would not be acceptable. "Tie and jacket" means it is more semi-formal than casual.

Shirt and slacks and a blazer should be fine or a dress or skirt and top would also be fine but no sneakers, trainers, skate shoes, flip-flops, crocs, deck shoes, etc.

That's what I thought. But what if someone has a foot problem and the only shoes they can wear without being in unbearable pain are Crocs (the ones with the holes on top)? Are fancy restaurants going to tell them they can't come in?

And I just thought about something I've always been curious about. What about cancer patients who are going through Chemo and lost all the hair on their head? Many of them wear some sort of hat on their head, it's usually a knit hat from what I've seen. Do they have to remove them to be allowed into fancy restaurants? I don't know why they wear the hats. I don't know if it's for cosmetic reasons, if their head is simply cold, or if it's more of a medical thing with them being abnormally cold on a warm day.

I really don't know why people need to get all dressed up just to eat. Some sort of tradition I guess. :unsure:

That's what I thought. But what if someone has a foot problem and the only shoes they can wear without being in unbearable pain are Crocs (the ones with the holes on top)? Are fancy restaurants going to tell them they can't come in?

And I just thought about something I've always been curious about. What about cancer patients who are going through Chemo and lost all the hair on their head? Many of them wear some sort of hat on their head, it's usually a knit hat from what I've seen. Do they have to remove them to be allowed into fancy restaurants? I don't know why they wear the hats. I don't know if it's for cosmetic reasons, if their head is simply cold, or if it's more of a medical thing with them being abnormally cold on a warm day.

I really don't know why people need to get all dressed up just to eat. Some sort of tradition I guess. :unsure:

I can't speak for all cancer patients but my 7 year-old grand niece, who is being treated for leukemia, is embarrassed by her hair loss and wears a hat to cover he bald head. She loves to go out to eat and no one complains about the hat.

I think the OP's question is aimed at the general public rather than people with medical conditions that call for different clothing.

I think getting dressed up to go out to eat at a "fancy" restaurant reinforces the feeling that it is a special occasion. Most folks don't go the "proper dress required" restaurants every time they go out to eat. So when they do it's for an anniversary, or celebration of another special occasion.

Last edited:
I owned a restaurant where I was constantly asked if I had a dress code.
"Absolutely not, just don't come bare feet".
People are smart enough to figure out what is the most suitable attire for the situation. If you feel like dressing up, it's up to you.
I refuse to eat in restaurants that require a dress code.
On our first trip down to Mexico we stopped in a restaurant that had top ratings (Patio dining). We were dressed in casual elegance appropriate for a hot summer evening. When the waiter came out with a jacket and a tie, my husband said, "We are out of here, we want to eat not have a sauna".
I have however enjoyed accepting invitations such as "all white is required".

Attachments

• DSCN0638.jpg
    DSCN0638.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Sounds familiar....I think the idiot that invented the neck tie should be hung with it!!!

I agree about the tie, but I'm not sure what men hate so much about a sports jacket. I think there are many really handsome ones out there in the shops, and imho, every well dressed man should have two: one tweedy and one light weight for warmer weather when a jacket is still a good idea. Besides, men look good when they're "cleaned up." ;)

and I STRONGLY DISLIKE when people wear flip-flops anywhere but the beach or the swimming pool. Not only are they always inappropriate, they are dangerous for the wearer.

I can't stand wearing a tie, but I enjoy wearing a nice sports jacket. I just bought a new one the other day and wore it to work yesterday (with a pair of jeans). We do not get dressed up in my office very often so if I wore it with anything other than jeans they would have thought I had an interview somewhere else :LOL:

The ones who invented the neck tie and high heels could be hung together. They should have to walk around all day in the high heels and ties, then as the sun is going down, tie the end of the tie over a ceiling beam and knock the high heels out from under them. Done!

:wacko:Barbara
Barbara you are dee-double correct about those high heels. Yes, womens legs look great when they're walking in them, but every single one of us has ruined our feet with those shoes. and they NEVER were comfortable, I don't care what anyone tells you! :wacko:

When going to a restaurant or a posh dining room where formal is required, Mum ensures what I wear is never too raunchy, but flattering because I am tall and "willowy". She found La Femme evening dresses suited me well. And I was more than happy because the styling is gorgeous, but not too revealing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom