"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 10-02-2010, 07:59 PM   #11
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I understand Andy, I really do. I have the exact same feeling about bras, but I never leave the house without one. You wanna trade?
Ditto. With each passing year, I like bras less and less. But I'd rather wear one than a tie.

A little bit Ginger. A little bit Mary Ann.
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 08:04 PM   #12
Traveling Welcome Wagon
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Sounds familiar....I think the idiot that invented the neck tie should be hung with it!!!
The ones who invented the neck tie and high heels could be hung together. They should have to walk around all day in the high heels and ties, then as the sun is going down, tie the end of the tie over a ceiling beam and knock the high heels out from under them. Done!

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:19 PM   #13
Head Chef
I once went to a restaurant in NYC that required a collared shirt. I had gone to the city this day not knowing what I would do or where I would eat, so i was dressed nicely, just not with a collared shirt. When we entered the restaurant, and they explained the dress code, the then pulled out a box of white collared shirts. I was probably about 18 or 19 at the time . I was with my then girlfriend ( now wife) and her family. They talked me into putting the collared shirt on which was quite obviously the wrong size. So now, I was following their dress code with the collared shirt, yet I looked like a jack ass because it was way too small. I was a dumb kid back then, now i would have just turned around and left.
larry_stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 03:43 AM   #14
Master Chef
Well, cute. For some reason I had to log in. I found my number (after going through a pad of various passwords and numbers, believe me, real secure, in the drawer of this desk, haha) ... by the time I logged in, I'd forgotten what I was responding to!
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 03:49 AM   #15
Master Chef
OK, dress codes. It was funny; a few weeks ago hubby and I went to a memorial service for a dear friend. I wore my somewhat normal dress-up (a tunic and pants; we walk everywhere so heels aren't much in my life any more). Hubby actually wore a jacket and tie. When we came home I mentioned that he was the only man who dressed, and he laughed. No, two other men had (out of a few dozen); the Episcopalian minister's husband and, of all people, an old hippie acquaintance of ours.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:34 AM   #16
Master Chef
Good thing this isn't the 50's. I'd be wearing a shirt and tie even to go to the grocery store or to McDonald's.... :D
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:51 AM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef
I was a kid in the fifties and my mom made me wear a tie and jacket to fly to California!
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 12:10 PM   #18
Originally Posted by mj1 View Post
When a restaurant's dress code is "tie and jacket", what would be appropriate for a woman to wear?
Good question. I'm afraid I don't know what the female equivalent to a "tie and jacket" are.

A friend once invited me to dinner at a steak house in New York City. I didn't know that the steak house had a dress code and was appalled when the maître d' refused to seat me. I was wearing dress pants and a long sleeved Oxford shirt. The maître d' informed me that I had to wear a tie and offered me a loaner. After putting on the tie, he told me that I also had to wear a jacket. He offered to loan me a jacket. I pulled the tie off and left.

My buddy and I wound up having a nice meal in a Chinese restaurant just a couple of blocks down the street.
Chef Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:06 PM   #19
Half Baked
I thought the tie was so you don't drip food on your shirt.
Also gives you something to wipe your hands and mouth with.

Funny my wife doesn't like going to those places with me.
Just be yourself! Everyone else is taken.

My Flickr stuff!
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 04:47 PM   #20
Senior Cook
Having been on some rather grand cruises, like with P&O and its opulent dining rooms, I would dress to kill. You see, I have a particular liking for Valentino. I would wear court shoes because high heels are beastly uncomfortable, though stilettos have their place if one is wishing to dress provocatively. (Shh - like in bed)

Or, for a more relaxed dress, I might wear a body-hugging Jean Muir in cashmere. Been told I have the looks, so why not flaunt it is what I say?

It all depends on the occasion.

However, what I cannot stand is seeing men wearing bow ties. It's a personal thing, but I feel bows are effeminate and those clip-on types are dreadful, but dress codes onboard ship demand bow ties to be worn. Why not a lovely silk straight tie, perhaps? And, I really cannot stand seeing a man wearing a white dinner jacket. Reminds me of an ice cream vendor.

Linux is offline   Reply With Quote