Restaurant dress codes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mj1

Cook
When a restaurant's dress code is "tie and jacket", what would be appropriate for a woman to wear? Would something simple like a black pair of slacks, a white shirt and black blazer be good enough? Or what about a black dress shirt instead of the white shirt and blazer? What about shoes? I wouldn't think flip flops would be acceptable. But would black skate shoes or black Crocs be ok?

If the men's requirement is "tie and jacket" then no, skate shoes or crocs would not be acceptable. "Tie and jacket" means it is more semi-formal than casual.

Shirt and slacks and a blazer should be fine or a dress or skirt and top would also be fine but no sneakers, trainers, skate shoes, flip-flops, crocs, deck shoes, etc.

When a restaurant's dress code is "tie and jacket", what would be appropriate for a woman to wear? Would something simple like a black pair of slacks, a white shirt and black blazer be good enough? Or what about a black dress shirt instead of the white shirt and blazer? What about shoes? I wouldn't think flip flops would be acceptable. But would black skate shoes or black Crocs be ok?

Do you by any chance go to the Cruise Critic boards? I can't help but laugh:LOL: as there are so many threads about what is considered "appropriate" attire in the ships dining rooms, and believe me, everyone thinks they are correct. In my observations women mostly know what to wear when the request is "tie and jacket" for the men. Why do men get all in a flap because they are asked something so simple and straightforward? It's really a nobrainer imo.

...Why do men get all in a flap because they are asked something so simple and straightforward?...

Most men don't like to dress up, that's why.

I wore a suit and tie to work every day for about forty years. I believe the necktie is a creation of the devil and should be abolished.

I tend to overdress for most situations because of my age and upbringing. I never used to wear jeans to a restaurant and got annoyed when I saw other customers in shorts, tanks tops and flip flops. I recognize times and standards are changing and I don't care nearly as much as I used to.

When we go to a fine restaurant, we do dress properly though I don't wear a tie and jacket unless specifically required by the establishment. I'll wear dress slacks and a dressy shirt and SO will do the same.

Restaurants that specifically require ties and jackets are not all that common. The last time I ate in one was here: Oak Room | Oak room It was someone else's treat.

Most men don't like to dress up, that's why.
I agree. I chose a carreer where I can basically wear anything I want. I always hated dressing up and avoided attending many formal functions. The only two occassions where I'll even come close to wearing a dress shirt and tie are weddings and funerals.
I'm also a prespirer so I can't stand layers of clothing, even in winter. There's no way I can survive a day in a suit. No Sir.

I wore a suit and tie to work every day for about forty years. I believe the necktie is a creation of the devil and should be abolished.

Sounds familiar....I think the idiot that invented the neck tie should be hung with it!!!

My aunt and uncle loved this one restaurant somewhere in the San Diego/Spring Valley area, called (I think) Pio Pico's. If you wore a tie there, they cut it off. :LOL: I don't know if they are still there--this was about 35 years ago.

:)Barbara

Sounds familiar....I think the idiot that invented the neck tie should be hung with it!!!
The ones who invented the neck tie and high heels could be hung together. They should have to walk around all day in the high heels and ties, then as the sun is going down, tie the end of the tie over a ceiling beam and knock the high heels out from under them. Done!

:wacko:Barbara

I once went to a restaurant in NYC that required a collared shirt. I had gone to the city this day not knowing what I would do or where I would eat, so i was dressed nicely, just not with a collared shirt. When we entered the restaurant, and they explained the dress code, the then pulled out a box of white collared shirts. I was probably about 18 or 19 at the time . I was with my then girlfriend ( now wife) and her family. They talked me into putting the collared shirt on which was quite obviously the wrong size. So now, I was following their dress code with the collared shirt, yet I looked like a jack ass because it was way too small. I was a dumb kid back then, now i would have just turned around and left.

Well, cute. For some reason I had to log in. I found my number (after going through a pad of various passwords and numbers, believe me, real secure, in the drawer of this desk, haha) ... by the time I logged in, I'd forgotten what I was responding to!

OK, dress codes. It was funny; a few weeks ago hubby and I went to a memorial service for a dear friend. I wore my somewhat normal dress-up (a tunic and pants; we walk everywhere so heels aren't much in my life any more). Hubby actually wore a jacket and tie. When we came home I mentioned that he was the only man who dressed, and he laughed. No, two other men had (out of a few dozen); the Episcopalian minister's husband and, of all people, an old hippie acquaintance of ours.

When a restaurant's dress code is "tie and jacket", what would be appropriate for a woman to wear?

Good question. I'm afraid I don't know what the female equivalent to a "tie and jacket" are.

A friend once invited me to dinner at a steak house in New York City. I didn't know that the steak house had a dress code and was appalled when the maître d' refused to seat me. I was wearing dress pants and a long sleeved Oxford shirt. The maître d' informed me that I had to wear a tie and offered me a loaner. After putting on the tie, he told me that I also had to wear a jacket. He offered to loan me a jacket. I pulled the tie off and left.

My buddy and I wound up having a nice meal in a Chinese restaurant just a couple of blocks down the street.

I thought the tie was so you don't drip food on your shirt.
Also gives you something to wipe your hands and mouth with.

Funny my wife doesn't like going to those places with me.

Having been on some rather grand cruises, like with P&O and its opulent dining rooms, I would dress to kill. You see, I have a particular liking for Valentino. I would wear court shoes because high heels are beastly uncomfortable, though stilettos have their place if one is wishing to dress provocatively. (Shh - like in bed) ;)

Or, for a more relaxed dress, I might wear a body-hugging Jean Muir in cashmere. Been told I have the looks, so why not flaunt it is what I say?

It all depends on the occasion.

However, what I cannot stand is seeing men wearing bow ties. It's a personal thing, but I feel bows are effeminate and those clip-on types are dreadful, but dress codes onboard ship demand bow ties to be worn. Why not a lovely silk straight tie, perhaps? And, I really cannot stand seeing a man wearing a white dinner jacket. Reminds me of an ice cream vendor. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom