"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-15-2006, 05:25 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Lynan
Can I ask...has anyone never tipped because service was so poor? Or do you still feel obliged to leave something?

Old 10-15-2006, 05:38 PM   #12
Head Chef

Restaurant Tipping is usually based on the service I receive from the waistress or waiter. I usually leave 15% or 20% before taxes are added on.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 05:46 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyQ3
So you would leave the same amount whether the tab totaled $25 or $200?

I don't think the tip should be based on the cost of the food.
Is it harder to bring a 30 dollar steak to my table than
a 5 dollar hamburger? I tip more for good service... less for bad. The service for a 200 dollar meal had better be a heck of a lot better than what we get for $25.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:49 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynan
Can I ask...has anyone never tipped because service was so poor? Or do you still feel obliged to leave something?
yep, I've left with out tipping before.
I know that makes me a horrid person but... I'm not going
to pay extra for bad service.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:59 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Tips are subsidizing the servers' wages. Servers are "paid" $2.15/hour. The rest of their wages are tips.
We are pretty much in AuntDot's camp. We will tip more (%) at a less expensive restaurant. But in her parameters usually.
I think saying "we decide what it is worth" is just not fair if less than 15%. When going out to eat we all know the customs in the US--the tip is not included and between 15 and 20% is considered to be the norm. If you go to a restaurant knowing you can't meet that criterion then I think choosing another would be more fair.
Servers do have to share their tips and they do work hard.

If service is bad, we tip 15% and write a note on the bill that the service was bad.
All of our kids have been servers and up to managers, including right now. When they are with us we let them do the tip. Those are lucky servers, IF they are good. If not, they get 15%.
If service is really bad AND is the fault of the server (VERY important--they don't control the kitchen) I will tell them in some way.
With regard to taxes, if the bill is in the hundreds, I will take a look at the tax.

Leaving without tipping absolutely requires (TO ME) having told the management of the situation.
I would be interested to know what type of restaurant and if you were completely ignored, the service was slow--whose fault was it really.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:05 PM   #16
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen
We will tip more (%) at a less expensive restaurant.
Can you explain this? Why would you tip differently depending on how expensive the restaurant is?
Old 10-15-2006, 06:48 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Interesting article on the history and lore of tipping in the u.s.

CHECK, PLEASE - The New Yorker
Old 10-15-2006, 07:06 PM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven S
Interesting article on the history and lore of tipping in the u.s.

CHECK, PLEASE - The New Yorker
That is an interesting article. I wonder how Thomas Keller/Per Se is doing with the European style fixed service charge?
Old 10-15-2006, 07:13 PM   #19
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Lynan
I entered into a debate on tipping elsewhere a few years ago and got shot down pretty quickly! So Im prepared!!!!

I guess I find it abhorrent that employers in the hospitality trade, as I am, do not pay their staff enough, are probably ( no, MUST be) collecting huge profits, and in some cases charging horrendous prices for their food, they then expect the patrons to put clothes on staff members backs. Would it not be great to see a sign in a restaurant stating that tips are not required unless you choose, as we pay our staff a good wage? Id bet that business would do a roaring trade.
Would be interesting to see who/when/why this trend began. And also, why it is mainly the food trade it involves. Hmmmm.

This situation is never going to change, I realise that, its just that I have problems getting my head around it. Having to add 15 to 20% more onto a food bill here in NZ would kill the trade.
Totally.

Lyn

Edited to add: I have just read the link above which has given me a bit of info on the history of tipping. Great link for this discussion!
Old 10-15-2006, 07:27 PM   #20
Executive Chef

What REALLY annoys me is when a 15- 20% tip is automatically added to the check and the waiter/waitress doesn't bother to mention it, especially when they notice I am adding it to the bill...you have no idea how angry that makes me.