"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-16-2006, 02:24 PM   #41
Head Chef

My husband and I would love to see tipping stopped. We get so tired of hearing things like... so and so only tipped....I busted my butt for that table and they only left me....I had to clean up after 4 kids and I only got....

It's funny how we never hear complaints about the tables they received good tips from! lol

If waitstaff got a set salary..would you,the customer, get the same service? I kind of doubt it. Why kick butt when you're getting the same amount of money just for being there?

Except for a few very large parties, we don't even let them put gratuities on parties of 6 or more where a lot of other places do...for this same reason.

We even pushed a pencil on our sales here. Just to pay minimum wage we would have to raise all our meals $ 1.00. I know our girls make somewhere between 7.00 and 12.00 an hour. Think how much more that would raise the meals. It will never happen....and maybe it's for the best.

It's probably much more pleasant to get a waitress that is doing her best for the sake of a tip...and one who is going to get the same whether she smiles or not.

Old 10-16-2006, 02:47 PM   #42
Assistant Cook

15% seems to be the middle of the road standard around here... I most often tip this, if i really like the service, i will increaes to 20 or 25...if im not pleased i will go down to 5 or 10...i always make sure to leave a tip because i know that these people depend on these tips to get by. (unfortunate)