"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-15-2006, 01:32 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Restaurant Tipping

Do you pay a percentage of the bill for the tip to the waitstaff, or are you paying a percentage based on the meal/check total?

Old 10-15-2006, 01:44 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
We tip based on the service.
If it's good we give more if it's poor we give less.
We don't use the precentage system at all. We just kind of pick an amount that we think they deserve.

Old 10-15-2006, 02:10 PM   #3
Cook

Tax or no tax?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish
Do you pay a percentage of the bill for the tip to the waitstaff, or are you paying a percentage based on the meal/check total?
Do you mean computing the tip % based on the price on the menu v. the total w/ tax? I've asked folks that question and rec'd various answers. I usually tip for the total bill, including tax, but I suppose that isn't necessary and to exclude the tax would be fine.

If the service is adequate I leave @ least 15% at lunch and @ least 20% at dinner. I will leave more if someone has made my meal spendifilous! Servers work hard!
Old 10-15-2006, 02:12 PM   #4
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I tip for service, normally a little over 20%. I take innto account that they tip out the food runners, bus people and bartenders...I will start picking away from there if service is lacking.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:32 PM   #5
Head Chef

Usually leave about 20%, don't calculate it to the penny, and often more.

25% is not uncommon.

Tend to leave more when we go to inexpensive places, particularly if the service is good, because those folk are working just as hard as those at many of the more expensive places.

For really bad service am always confused. If I just leave 10%, the waiter may just think we are cheap amd not that we are displeased.

Hate to stiff someone though. Think I have only done that once in many years of dining out. And for me to do that, I have to be fuming.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:44 PM   #6
Senior Cook

in panama, i have found that american travelers tip well, panamanians tip decent, and europeans rarely tip and when they do its cheaply. here, the norm is 10% and 15% for excellent... it is what panamanian citizens stick to, but americans tend to keep their 15%-20% norm when they travel here.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:47 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife
We tip based on the service.
If it's good we give more if it's poor we give less.
We don't use the precentage system at all. We just kind of pick an amount that we think they deserve.
So you would leave the same amount whether the tab totaled $25 or $200?
Old 10-15-2006, 04:49 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish
Mish, could you clarify? I'm not sure I understand the difference you've set up here.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:02 PM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyQ3
Mish, could you clarify? I'm not sure I understand the difference you've set up here.
Neither do I. Both those options sound the same to me.

I tip 20% on the total bill (including tax). I am not a fan of the tipping system we have here though. If someone orders a salad and soup that will be pretty inexpensive. The tip therefore will be small. Then if someone else orders a steak that will be much more expensive and so the tip would be expected to be larger. Now it would seem to me that it would take more work to bring the soup and salad to the table as it is two items instead of the steak which is just one. Why should the tip be based on the cost of the food it you are tipping for good service? It just does not make much sense to me. That is the system that we have though so I don't have much choice, but to follow it.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:12 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Why should the tip be based on the cost of the food it you are tipping for good service? It just does not make much sense to me.

I'd never thought of it that way. There must be some rationale that we're missing here., and I'd love to hear it. Maybe pdswife has the right idea after all.