Restaurants may change menus, hike prices in 2009

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kleenex

Master Chef
Restaurants may change menus, hike prices in 2009 - Yahoo! News

Restaurants, now working to secure supply and price contracts for meat and other commodities for the upcoming year, are expecting big increases in food costs — increases that will likely lead to menu changes and price hikes.

Some chains are already adjusting their menus to reflect current high costs for both beef and chicken. CKE Restaurants Inc., which operates the Hardee's and Carl's Jr. chains, stopped offering Double Cheeseburgers in its 2 for $3 promotion at the end of August and replaced them with Jumbo Chili Dogs and Hot Ham 'N' Cheese Sandwiches to avoid selling pricey beef at a lower price.

Even fast-food leader McDonald's Corp. is considering making some changes to its popular dollar menu — either by changing the items on the menu or bumping up prices — saying the cost of selling meat at such low prices might be too high.

The decision to raise prices or change menus could have some harsh repercussions, especially because more diners are already eating at home to avoid pricey restaurant food. With the stock market dropping and consumers questioning whether their retirement savings will be available when the time comes, paying more for a meal out may be even harder to stomach.

I already noticed a 30 cent increase in the price of a McDonald's Fillet o' Fish sandwich the last time I visited the place. The price was 2.95 the last time I bought it.

I remember when I was a teenager a whole carload of us could eat at TAco Bell for about 7 bucks....
We spend at least 20 now for DH and the kids and I.

Wow, I'm starting to SOUND old now....

dont worry Suzie im right there with you and im sort of young.

Im boyvotting chains and big business.

A good resturant will change there menu to be seasonal. to keep costs low and quality better.

Didn't they used to always be 39 cents?
And the supremes were like 50 weren't they?
Oh great, now I want Taco Bell.....

Well, I would hope they would raise their prices. Everything is going up, so why wouldn't they? I would rather pay a little more for the same items than pay the same and get less. Is this really news?

Despite the some six+ fold increase of restauarant food prices and 15-20 fold increase in beverage prices in the past 40 years, the wait staff now consider a 20% tip chintzy. Forty years ago 10% was adequate. That means wait staff expect to receive considerably more than 12 times what they used to receive.

Some of the resturants here haven't raised their prices, but have cut portion sizes and/or reduced the meat content. We had a curry recntly where the amount of meat in the curry was about half what it used to be from the same place.

I don't eat out enough to really notice a jump in the cost of restaurant food. I HAVE noticed a jump in prices at the grocery. I usually buy chicken in a 10 lb bag of leg-and-thing quarters from Wally World. 6 months ago it cost US$4.97 + tax for the bag. Now it's US$6.37 + tax for the bag.

My Chef and I were talking about food cost a few weeks ago. He's surprised that in the past 18 months, we've managed to drop our Food Cost % from 50% down to a little over 30%. This is accounting for the jump in cost of all proteins. But, it shows what a huge increase in the amount of catering functions can do for a budget.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom