"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-30-2008, 04:43 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Uncle Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Small Town Mississippi
Posts: 17,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironchef
While I can understand your point of view, the restaurant is under no obligation to change the order because of a wrong assumption from a customer. Yes, it's better practice to be more courteous, but the restaurant does not have to do it.


I agree! ......I personally would have pushed the issue a little bit harder, because I have my doubts as to how much of a language barrier there really was.


Quote:
Originally Posted by larry stewart
So, do u think its worth writing a letter ? or should i just be more careful next time
IMO writing a letter would be a waste of time and postage. The time for making your case was then and there! Just be more careful next time!

Have Fun & Enjoy!
__________________

__________________
There is only one Quality worse than Hardness of Heart, and that is Softness of Head.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 04:45 PM   #22
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 3,102
Funny. I've never gone to a Chinese restaurant and expected to be able to communicate with anyone. I generally assume I'm lucky to get someone who understands when I want "lo mein" instead of "fried rice."
__________________

__________________
Callisto in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 04:50 PM   #23
Head Chef
 
larry_stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 2,080
Well, I did have restaurant near me when i lived in philly that served " Hacked Chicken". Not exactly sure what that was , but I definitely assumed it wasnt soy
__________________
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 04:56 PM   #24
Master Chef
 
luvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: da 'burgh
Posts: 9,673
geebs & charlie posted as i would.
__________________
i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 04:59 PM   #25
Sous Chef
 
bowlingshirt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Compton
Posts: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
Funny. I've never gone to a Chinese restaurant and expected to be able to communicate with anyone.
That's why they put the numbers beside the menu items.
__________________
Official member of the club
Vegans die from arrogant smugness & sprout rot. - pighood
bowlingshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 05:01 PM   #26
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 3,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingshirt View Post
That's why they put the numbers beside the menu items.
Exactly. And I only ever order by number and add "lo mein/no rice" after the number. If I get rice, I just give it to my daughter. Safest thing, however, is to just order ala carte so I know I get what I want. I've also learned if I order shrimp lo mein I get more than if I order a shrimp dish with lo mein. Much better deal if you ask me.
__________________
Callisto in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 05:08 PM   #27
Senior Cook
 
DrThunder88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 473
A similar thing happened to me. I ordered "Soylent Chicken"...let's just say you don't want to know what that's made from!
__________________
DrThunder88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 05:09 PM   #28
Head Chef
 
larry_stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 2,080
What was interesting in my case was that the dish we ordered " soy chicken" actually was printed on the order sheet as "chicken with rice", but the chinese broccoli was printed as chinese broccoli, that is why we thought that they messed up the order, because it wasnt printed the same way it was listed on the menu. Oh, And i think it was # 93
__________________
larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 05:11 PM   #29
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef View Post

For anyone under dietary restrictions, beit vegan, vegetarian, allergy, or otherwise, it is YOUR responsibility to inform the restaurant and to take the neccessary steps to ensure that your dietary needs are met. You should ALWAYS assume that anything the restaurant serves will be geared towards the majority of people, and that includes people who eat meat, or are not allergic to things like shellfish, nuts, gluten, etc.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. I have dined with too many people who have complained after the fact. If you are uncertain, ask.
__________________
simplicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:36 PM   #30
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,401
I would have expected soy flavored chicken as well. I would expect to see "Tofu Chicken" for a vegetarian dish.

I also agree you handled well and that the restaurant would have been better served to replace the dish for good will.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.