"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-30-2008, 04:43 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironchef
While I can understand your point of view, the restaurant is under no obligation to change the order because of a wrong assumption from a customer. Yes, it's better practice to be more courteous, but the restaurant does not have to do it.

I agree! ......I personally would have pushed the issue a little bit harder, because I have my doubts as to how much of a language barrier there really was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry stewart
So, do u think its worth writing a letter ? or should i just be more careful next time
IMO writing a letter would be a waste of time and postage. The time for making your case was then and there! Just be more careful next time!

Have Fun & Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 04:45 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Funny. I've never gone to a Chinese restaurant and expected to be able to communicate with anyone. I generally assume I'm lucky to get someone who understands when I want "lo mein" instead of "fried rice."

Old 06-30-2008, 04:50 PM   #23
Head Chef

Well, I did have restaurant near me when i lived in philly that served " Hacked Chicken". Not exactly sure what that was , but I definitely assumed it wasnt soy
Old 06-30-2008, 04:56 PM   #24
Master Chef

geebs & charlie posted as i would.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:59 PM   #25
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
Funny. I've never gone to a Chinese restaurant and expected to be able to communicate with anyone.
That's why they put the numbers beside the menu items.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:01 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingshirt View Post
That's why they put the numbers beside the menu items.
Exactly. And I only ever order by number and add "lo mein/no rice" after the number. If I get rice, I just give it to my daughter. Safest thing, however, is to just order ala carte so I know I get what I want. I've also learned if I order shrimp lo mein I get more than if I order a shrimp dish with lo mein. Much better deal if you ask me.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:08 PM   #27
Senior Cook

A similar thing happened to me. I ordered "Soylent Chicken"...let's just say you don't want to know what that's made from!
Old 06-30-2008, 05:09 PM   #28
Head Chef

What was interesting in my case was that the dish we ordered " soy chicken" actually was printed on the order sheet as "chicken with rice", but the chinese broccoli was printed as chinese broccoli, that is why we thought that they messed up the order, because it wasnt printed the same way it was listed on the menu. Oh, And i think it was # 93
Old 06-30-2008, 05:11 PM   #29
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef View Post

For anyone under dietary restrictions, beit vegan, vegetarian, allergy, or otherwise, it is YOUR responsibility to inform the restaurant and to take the neccessary steps to ensure that your dietary needs are met. You should ALWAYS assume that anything the restaurant serves will be geared towards the majority of people, and that includes people who eat meat, or are not allergic to things like shellfish, nuts, gluten, etc.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. I have dined with too many people who have complained after the fact. If you are uncertain, ask.
Old 06-30-2008, 08:36 PM   #30
Certified Pretend Chef

I would have expected soy flavored chicken as well. I would expect to see "Tofu Chicken" for a vegetarian dish.

I also agree you handled well and that the restaurant would have been better served to replace the dish for good will.