"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-01-2008, 02:05 PM   #51
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post

The only think I know of that tastes like chicken is chicken.
Fine, the only thing you know of that tastes like chicken is chicken. You asked me why would a product that was made of soy be called 'soy chicken'. I answered that question for you. You continued to divulge what your own personal experiences were regarding taste, etc. You only asked why. I answered.
Sure I don't know anything about you. I answered in good faith that perhaps you haven't had any good soy products yet. I only see that my answer to your question didn't satisfy you. That doesn't make my answer wrong.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:09 PM   #52
Executive Chef

Quote:
I never said that is what it should be called. Read my post. I said it should be called what it is. For example, if you are using tofu to replace the chicken then call it tofu with soy sauce. It really is not that hard.

And I disagree that it is called soy duck l'orange because it's meant to taste like duck l'orange. I think it is called that because it is meant to be a vegetarian replacement for duck l'orange.
How would it constitute a replacement if it wasn't meant to taste like it??
There are literally hundreds of products out there, made of soy that mimic other protiens. For marketing purposes, it cannot all be called soy. No one who is seeking a soy product that tastes like chicken, or can be cooked like chicken, would know what they were getting if the product didn't have the word chicken in the title. That, also shouldn't be that hard.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:10 PM   #53
Chief Eating Officer

My question was rhetorical Vera. I was not asking you. I was using the question to demonstrate my point that calling something by what it really is would be much more logical than calling it something it isn't.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:11 PM   #54
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
How would it constitute a replacement if it wasn't meant to taste like it??
Texture and visually, not to mention being a protein. It really is not that hard.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:16 PM   #55
Executive Chef

Quote:
My question was rhetorical Vera. I was not asking you. I was using the question to demonstrate my point that calling something by what it really is would be much more logical than calling it something it isn't.
Then why did you quote me? Doesn't that usually mean, in the virtual world, that you are responding directly to that person?
Old 07-01-2008, 02:20 PM   #56
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
Then why did you quote me? Doesn't that usually mean, in the virtual world, that you are responding directly to that person?
I already answered that question in the post of mine you just quoted, but since you seemed to have missed it...

It was rhetorical. I was using it to demonstrate my point.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:26 PM   #57
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
I think what VeraBlue is refering to is the word "Soy" being used as an adjective as opposed to a nouns.

For example: is Orange Beef beef that tastes like an orange, or is it literally orange in color ( i loved this analogy )

Isn't soy being used as an adjective in both cases? Same as your orange example?

In both cases it's being used to describe the chicken. "Soy" modifies the noun "chicken" in both cases.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:13 PM   #58
Head Chef

The thing that surprises me here is that in 20 years of vegetarianism, this is the first time that you have run into this. In most cases I can think of on menus, the first word is the adjective describing the noun. You got your pepperoni pizza, your herbed potatoes, your garlic chicken, your orange chicken. I would never assume that I was getting garlic nor orange nor soy that tasted like chicken, but instead the reverse. The exceptions to me would include a modifier, as in steak with cheese sauce, or short ribs in a wine sauce, or as a preparation description, as in a la king, marsala, or au gratin.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:54 PM   #59
Master Chef

My Local Chinese, Besides The Aforementioned "buddha's Delight", Has A Dish Called "un-done Chicken"...................don't Think I Want To Try That One.............
Old 07-01-2008, 03:58 PM   #60
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Isn't soy being used as an adjective in both cases? Same as your orange example?

In both cases it's being used to describe the chicken. "Soy" modifies the noun "chicken" in both cases.

me never claimed to be good in english

But I guess to be technical, Soy could be referring to the sauce, not the chicken, therefore, and adjective yes, but to the sauce, not the chicken. And is the Orange describing the beef ? or the sauce ?