Returning our food at a restaurant, How would you handle this ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And yes, it was the first time I ran into this after 20 years. If it wasnt, then I wouldnt have made the same mistake again. I may not learn from my english / adjective mistakes, But I sure pay attention when it comes to food :-p

me never claimed to be good in english :-p

But I guess to be technical, Soy could be referring to the sauce, not the chicken, therefore, and adjective yes, but to the sauce, not the chicken. And is the Orange describing the beef ? or the sauce ?

In the term "soy chicken," the word soy is modifying the word chicken.

One question just popped into my mind about the taste debate.

If, said person has been a vegetarian for a very long time (talking 20 years here, or even life), how can they truly know if their soy chicken impersonation, actually tastes like chicken? How can they know, they have not eaten actual chicken in 20 years?

A long long time ago (30 yrs?) there was a burger made from soy products. I loved it. I haven't seen it since then. I am not talking about any of the veggie burgers on the market now (tried most all of them) Those soy burgers had a flame broiled taste as I recall.

Well Knight76 how come some people say "this tastes like cr#p?":angel::angel::angel:

I've never seen 'soy chicken' referred to anything other than a soy based chicken like product. Sure, chinese restaurants use soy with chicken, but they do that in all their sauces, for the most part. You see sesame chicken, or orange chicken, or kung pao chicken. I've never seen it written 'soy chicken' unless it was faux chicken.

Funny, because I was going to say I've never seen 'soy chicken' written to mean anything other than a soy flavored chicken dish. Most every chinese restaurant i've ever gone to has been pretty clear about distinguishing their vegetarian dishes, and also about distinguishing their tofu-based dishes.

To the OP:

This has been said many times already, but I'll agree again- since you and your wife have special diet requirements it falls to you to be clear about your needs, and to be informed about what you are ordering. In this case that means crossing what sounds like a pretty thick language barrier, but thats the cards you were dealt, unfortunately. Like you said, at least you got a funny story and a learning experience out of it.

I encourage anyone out there to try and find Soy Delight Popcorn Nuggets. They are so close to chicken that when my boss had me taste it at work I spit it out and said "I told you I'm a vegetarian"! It tastes and looks just like little chicken bites. We sell them at Whole Foods Market where I work.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom