"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-16-2006, 01:27 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I would certainly speak up in that case!

Old 07-16-2006, 01:32 PM   #12
Master Chef

I think that this week was the first time ever for me to call the waiter over and point out a very lively weevil furiously kicking all six legs at me as he was stuck on his back in my baked potato--apparently the sour cream was acting as glue and he was not appreciative!! I didn't make a scene---this happens to be one of my favorite places to eat and nothing like this has ever happened before. The waiter promptly took it away, apologizing profusely, and then explained that they had gotten in a large shipment of produce and that's probably where my fellow "diner" originated. I thought it was quite amusing-----I had only taken a few bites of my steak when I noticed Mr. W. waving at me. My next meal, sans Mr. W., came after everyone else's but to my surprise that's because they brought out a fresh steak as well. They also didn't charge me for the dinner but I tipped the waiter as if they had--after all it wasn't his fault. Like Mish, I too, have had an acquaintance that found fault with everything that she ordered and it was embarassing sometimes to eat out with this dining diva. She even found fault with my seafood gumbo that won first prize at a contest judged by real Cajuns---mon cherie!! (Another friend "tattled" on her) Ha!

Old 07-16-2006, 01:43 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl
I think that this week was the first time ever for me to call the waiter over and point out a very lively weevil furiously kicking all six legs at me as he was stuck on his back in my baked potato--apparently the sour cream was acting as glue and he was not appreciative!! I didn't make a scene---this happens to be one of my favorite places to eat and nothing like this has ever happened before. The waiter promptly took it away, apologizing profusely, and then explained that they had gotten in a large shipment of produce and that's probably where my fellow "diner" originated. I thought it was quite amusing-----I had only taken a few bites of my steak when I noticed Mr. W. waving at me. My next meal, sans Mr. W., came after everyone else's but to my surprise that's because they brought out a fresh steak as well. They also didn't charge me for the dinner but I tipped the waiter as if they had--after all it wasn't his fault. Like Mish, I too, have had an acquaintance that found fault with everything that she ordered and it was embarassing sometimes to eat out with this dining diva. She even found fault with my seafood gumbo that won first prize at a contest judged by real Cajuns---mon cherie!! (Another friend "tattled" on her) Ha!
expatgirl, was that a la carte?
Old 07-16-2006, 01:46 PM   #14
Master Chef

Well you see, that's the big difference. For me at least. If the problem is with the food, I definitely do NOT take it out on the server. If the service was good, a good tip is still left. You can't blame the server for a bad kitchen or meal.

As far as bugs in a meal - PLEASE - you must be kidding!!!! I'd not only be mental & loud about it, but this would be above & beyond sending food back. Geesh. If you feel you have to be polite about finding insects in your food, you're my next candidate for the Mother Theresa award. I can't believe you even have to question your questions????!!!!???

My problem - posted above - was with a server spending about 10 minutes trying to convince me to accept the wrong order. Sorry - but for me that meant no tip. When I refused to accept the incorrect order, the server became surly & unpleasant. Why the h*ll should I leave a tip???

Sorry guys - but if you're leaving tips for rude unpleasant service, you're just being taken for a ride.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:47 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl
I had a similar experience that didn't end up quite as nicely as yours. I was eating in a Bob's Big Boy restaurant (don't know if they still exist here in SoCal) -- a casual dining experience, to be sure -- but still, I didn't think I should be stuck with a fly in my green salad. The server cheerfully brought me another one, but alas, this one had a winged insect as well. I never did figure out whether it was the same fly.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:02 PM   #16
Master Chef

Ha, Ha!! Hey, you got a bargain---two flies for the price of one!!
Old 07-16-2006, 02:25 PM   #17
Master Chef

Mish and Breezycooking--sorry I didn't see your postings------yes, it was a la carton of produce and Breezycooking, thanks for the Mother Theresa award (though I don't think she would be "honored" with me as a nominee, Ha!)----I guess had it been a roach or a fly I would have been more revolted but after being "forced" to take an insect course in college and having to make a 200 pinned collection that had to include a certain number of orders, familes, etc , and scrambling over fields, rivers, nighttime parking lots, etc, waving a net and looking really nerdy and embarrassing family members, bugs in general just don't bother me. And you're right--don't tip if you don't get the service you want especially if it's something that you didn't order and then having to be "talked" into it. The weevil is lucky that I didn't have my killing jar with me or he'd have been #201.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:32 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzyQ3
I had a similar experience that didn't end up quite as nicely as yours. I was eating in a Bob's Big Boy restaurant (don't know if they still exist here in SoCal) -- a casual dining experience, to be sure -- but still, I didn't think I should be stuck with a fly in my green salad. The server cheerfully brought me another one, but alas, this one had a winged insect as well. I never did figure out whether it was the same fly.
Suzy, lol, I think Bob's is still there. It's been a while. Are you sure it wasn't a producer in your salad/soup?

Oh, Boy!

Old 07-16-2006, 04:36 PM   #19
Head Chef

Bugs in my food, yep, I would speak up, yuck.

And Breezy, I am absolutely on your side here.

Generally do not send things back, just suck it up and do not return to the restaurant.

Maybe that is not the right way to go but I hate to make a fuss. We are out to relax and enjoy and confrontation dos not fit into that setting somehow.

One time on our 20th anniversary, however, we went to a very well appointed and highly rated place.

The apps were a disaster. But we kept our mouths shut and awaited the main course.

If possible, they were both worse.

Don't know if the chef was drunk, not there (it was a Saturday night), or the place was having a problem but the food was bad. Not disappointing or a tad off, just ich, poo, spit lousy.

Two forkfuls through the mains we complained and the entire meal was comped and we left, sadly. We only wanted a nice meal.

The manager did not seem surprised at our complaint by the way, I guess he knew there was a problem in the back of the house.

Were I a restaurant owner I would want to hear complaints, I would think.

Better to find out what my customers don't like now than just go slowly out of business.

But we generally just don't speak up, maybe we should.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:13 PM   #20
Master Chef

Most of the time I will not send a meal back unless it is unedible. One thing I cannot stand is receiving a meal that is cold, it will be sent back to the kitchen immediately. Another peeve of mine is plates, glasses, or silverware that is not clean.

Once while eating at a Logan's Roadhouse in Redding, CA. a fly literally fell into my beer. So, I called the waiter and showed him the fly. They replaced my beer and did not charge me for it.

A few months ago a bunch of coworkers and I where eating dinner at a local Mexican restaurant. When the waitress bought out a second round of salsa it was so SALTY that we could not eat it. It was like eating a bowl of diced tomatoes with salt water. A first nobody wanted to say anything, but finally I spoke to the waitress and she took all the bowls back to the kitchen and bought us out fresh.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote