"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-03-2010, 09:47 AM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

James, I have a similar issue with ATK's product reviews. My issue is that they pick say 10 or 12 similar items and review them against each other. If i am unfamiliar with the product then it gives me a good baseline to get some more info and a direction to go in, but I have found that when I am am familiar with the product then often times my choice is not even listed among their choices. So I am getting info that says that product X is better than Y so buy X, but if they gave me more information then I would possibly find out that product Z, which they did not even mention, is even better for me than X or Y. It is almost like they pick the ones they want to review and pretend like no others exist outside of what they chose to pick.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:05 AM   #12
Senior Cook

That's pretty much how I use them too...however, even then, I can't put a lot of weight behind their reviews because they don't tell me how they conducted the test. When a Wusthof knife outscores a cosmetically similar Farberware knife for chopping, for the information to be of any value at all, we need to know how the test was conducted. A star rating in a chart doesn't give us enough information. They seem to believe we should just trust them...the same people who are too cheap to buy a peppermill for white peppercorns.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:11 AM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

I have concerns about the ATK guys as well. I'm a little tired of their announcing that every dish they present is "the best xxx you'll eve eat".
Old 03-03-2010, 10:17 AM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

I suppose that is better than them telling you that it is the most mediocre xxx you will ever eat
Old 03-03-2010, 11:34 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I have concerns about the ATK guys as well. I'm a little tired of their announcing that every dish they present is "the best xxx you'll eve eat".
And then two years later doing a new version of it...or two months later in one of their other publications.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:35 AM   #16
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I suppose that is better than them telling you that it is the most mediocre xxx you will ever eat
Nine times out of ten, that would be more accurate.