Ridiculous Work Expectations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I have a favor to ask everyone here with a clear conscience and who has held a job. I talked to a pharmacist today while waiting for meds for DW. This person told me that their shift was 11 1/2 hours long, with no breaks, I mean none. They are not allowed to have any beverages or food back in the pharmacy, and no breaks. I was told that to use the bathroom, they had to call upon other store employees to watch the pharmacy.

To me, these are abominable working conditions. Even in the U.S. Navy, when at sea, where we worked 12 hour shifts every day, we were given two ten minute breaks, and two meal breaks.

The favor, I don't know how to use sites like Twitter and don't have an account. But these hard working people need someone to tell of the draconian working conditions. They need a voice. The person I spoke with stated that they couldn't complain for fear of losing their job.

I don't know if all pharmacies have such working conditions, but I know that both Rite-Aid, and Family Fare pharmacies do.

I sometimes complain about my job, but it's not near as bad as what the pharmacists have to put up with. I've heard, but not directly, that Wal Mart is no better.

If someone knows how to use social media, then get the word out. Maybe if this goes viral, it will help.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I would suggest they look into contacting the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, part of the US Department of Labor. These working conditions may be illegal.

A bunch of people who aren't directly familiar with the situation making noise on social media would only be hearsay, which probably wouldn't be taken seriously. Hope this helps.

I'd check the labor laws in Michigan before I go posting anywhere about that. Most states require breaks in any shift over 8 hours. Florida does and it's one of the worst as far as employee rights goes. Florida state laws are much more in favor of employers than employees. I know that in Florida the pharmacies in Wal-Mart close for lunch. Same with Mississippi and I do know for a fact they are allowed bathroom breaks there and the pharmacy closes when a pharmacist is not present(Fla too). I'm pretty sure that's a federal requirement, no pharmacist present, pharmacy must be closed.

I'd take what you were told with a HUGE grain of salt and do some checking before posting on social media.

As far as what GG said, she's correct and I believe it can be done anonymously. I think somebody was just BS'ing you for some reason. Anybody that is smart enough to make it thru school to be a pharmacist is smart enough to know their options.

Were you actually talking to a pharmacist or the pharmacy tech/assistant person? Not that it makes a difference, they are still a person and should have fair working conditions.

Last edited:
There is being allowed breaks and then there is taking them. Sometimes, in some places, if you push for your labor rights you may be pushing yourself out of a job. Sure, if you file a report, or show up with official documents, or whatever, your boss will probably grant you your breaks. But, next time the schedule is made you could very well get less hours, worse hours like all weekends or the crappier shifts....the work environment may become more hostile, etc....at this point people would probably leave because who would want to work there anyway?

Some places are like this...

Last edited:
Federal law requires a half hour break for any shift longer than 8 hours. Also a 10-15 minute break. I'd guess the conditions you cite are because there is only one person in the pharmacy where normally there would be two or three. That could be because the owner is cheap or that others didn't show up.

Federal law requires a half hour break for any shift longer than 8 hours. Also a 10-15 minute break. I'd guess the conditions you cite are because there is only one person in the pharmacy where normally there would be two or three. That could be because the owner is cheap or that others didn't show up.
Often, there is only one pharmacist. There are occasional days when there's a pharmacist, and a technician. I just detest corporations, including supermarkets that treat their employees like they are there simply to serve the employer, and have no life or needs of their own. It's too common in the work place.

I told a co-worker when he started at around age 20, all eager and gung ho that the employer will take everything you let them take, your time, your ideas, and much of you life. He knows now, that in most cases, that is too true. He certainly feels that way about his job, as I do.

I've worked for employers that treat their workers like valuable assets. Unfortunately, it was government contract work where when the contract was completed, you got laid off until the next contract came in.

My current boss is fond of saying - "If you don't like your job, quit and find another." Where I live, most people are making just a little over minimum wage. I'm making three times that, but have to put up with poor leadership, or should I say, non-existent leadership. But he does sign the paycheck, and signs our vacation requests and sick-leave requests. By law, the organization has to give us two fifteen minute breaks. We get an unpaid hour for lunch. Some days, I feel like I'd have been better off as a mattress tester.:LOL:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Employees have become commodities. There used to be loyalty between companies and employees. When you retired, you got a gold watch for working at a company for your entire work life. That's a thing of the past.

Employees are hired and fired more easily to turn a buck. Employees feel no loyalty to a firm because the firm shows no loyalty to employees. You don't have careers any more, you have a series of temporary jobs that get you to retirement.

I worked 11 hours on Wednesday. It was only when I got home that I hadn't taken a bathroom break. I am self-employed. I have to finish what I am contracted to do. If it takes me 3 hours of 11 hours or 18 hours, that is my day. If I moan and grown, my "current boss" says "suck it up, buttercup. You're the one who opted to be self-employed."

Last edited:
Employees have become commodities. There used to be loyalty between companies and employees. When you retired, you got a gold watch for working at a company for your entire work life. That's a thing of the past.

Employees are hired and fired more easily to turn a buck. Employees feel no loyalty to a firm because the firm shows no loyalty to employees. You don't have careers any more, you have a series of temporary jobs that get you to retirement.

Andy, I once read that the first ten years of a college graduate's job history will show at least five to six jobs. When a raise is not longer considered a given each year, employees have no loyalty to the company. Onward they go to the next company that will pay them more. And the job applicant also expects promotions with a raise. :angel:

I worked 11 hours on Wednesday. It was only when I got home that I hadn't taken a bathroom break. I am self-employed. I have to finish what I am contracted to do. If it takes me 3 hours of 11 hours or 18 hours, that is my day. If I moan and grown, my "current boss" says "suck it up, buttercup. You're the one who opted to be self-employed."
When you're self employed you're in a separate category all together. You can toss out all State and federal laws when it comes to your own work hours.
I'm self employed also, haven't had a week long vacation since 1993, and stayed home sick less than 5 total days during the last 30+ yrs. And am still putting in 70+ hours per week but I'm starting to get old and tired now.....I started to gradually taper down hours of business operations a while back.
Being self employed has its pluses but I often wish I was a salaried employee.

I have no experience with work practices in America but it does seem to me, from what I've read, that British employers are generally held more accountable than American employers.

Even then the odd thing slips through.

I've been on late shift sometimes and had an extension at the airport till midnight. I've then had to drive home, thankfully only 15 to 20 minutes away, get to sleep and then be up again at 04:30 to cover an early shift.

I have no experience with work practices in America but it does seem to me, from what I've read, that British employers are generally held more accountable than American employers.

Seems to be the case. America is not always at the top of the list in any category.

Chief. We quit using larger chain pharmacies.
We use a mom & pop pharmacy here in town instead of CVS or Rite-Aide.
They treat the customers right and their employees as well.
Everyone there, seems genuinely happy.

One time I went to pick up my medicine and the doctor had not called it in.
The pharmacist offered me enough medicine "without the prescription" to last me through the weekend.
He told me he would just deduct them when he filled the doctors script the following Monday.

There is no way any chain store would have done that for me. No way.

Seems to be the case. America is not always at the top of the list in any category.

The pharmacist offered me enough medicine "without the prescription" to last me through the weekend.
He told me he would just deduct them when he filled the doctors script the following Monday.

Same here. I've been with my pharmacist for over 10 years and happily pay the tunnel toll to go there rather than chains here in my town. We're Facebook friends, too ;)

I found out the hard way, for every six hours of work, employers here in Mass. are required to give a 30 minute lunch break. Fifteen minutes breaks for coffee are not included. That is up to the discretion and kindness of the employer. So if you have been called to do something while you are having a cup of coffee, don't tell them, "I am on my coffee break." It could get your fired. Just bring your coffee with you. Tell them you are having your lunch instead. The workers at Wyeth Pharmaceutical used to bring a file down to the cafeteria and keep it open while drinking their coffee. It looked like the were working.

Some occupations here in Mass. are a 12 hour shift. Nursing and other medical personnel comes to mind. When you sign you contract, it is right in there. And it is an understanding and given that in an emergency, they have the right to hold you over until the emergency has ended. :angel:

There is a pharmacy in Everett. It is simply called The Prescription Shoppe. Just across the street is a chain. It was Brooks Pharmacy, the it became Rite-Aid, then CVS, and who knows what it is today. None can do the business that The Prescription Shoppe does. And it is the tiniest store. They only sell medical stuff. But if you need to rent a wheel chair, order a rental for a hospital bed, need any special medical equipment, it is the place to go. The pharmacy across the street has never given that kind of service. There are folks whose parents got their meds filled there. And they have continued their family tradition.

They remember the names of your family. Ask how they are doing now. When I lived there, I got all my meds from them. I surely do miss them. :angel:

I have a favor to ask everyone here with a clear conscience and who has held a job. I talked to a pharmacist today while waiting for meds for DW. This person told me that their shift was 11 1/2 hours long, with no breaks, I mean none. They are not allowed to have any beverages or food back in the pharmacy, and no breaks. I was told that to use the bathroom, they had to call upon other store employees to watch the pharmacy.

To me, these are abominable working conditions. Even in the U.S. Navy, when at sea, where we worked 12 hour shifts every day, we were given two ten minute breaks, and two meal breaks.

The favor, I don't know how to use sites like Twitter and don't have an account. But these hard working people need someone to tell of the draconian working conditions. They need a voice. The person I spoke with stated that they couldn't complain for fear of losing their job.

I don't know if all pharmacies have such working conditions, but I know that both Rite-Aid, and Family Fare pharmacies do.

I sometimes complain about my job, but it's not near as bad as what the pharmacists have to put up with. I've heard, but not directly, that Wal Mart is no better.

If someone knows how to use social media, then get the word out. Maybe if this goes viral, it will help.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Although it is very rare, I recently worked a 14 hour shift solo in the deli of the grocery store, without a single break or even 2 minutes to sit.

My duties included

-Pulling dates for hundreds of items from the sales floor
-making coffee
-refilling the entire sales floor
-waiting on any customer that came along (there are times where you are lucky to get 60 seconds of work done between customers
-making cakes for cake orders
-making sandwiches
-skewering and loading rotisserie chickens
-package and labels rotisserie chickens
-cooking all items for the lunch hot bar
-baking bread, cookies and pastries
-packaging and labeling bread, cookies, and pastries
-removing hot food items after lunch and repackaging for cold
-skewering more chickens for the dinner batch
-frying more chicken for dinner
-refill sales floor
-deal with evening rush
-work deli freight that came in that day
-order for another day
-clean and sanitize the entire department (scrub floors, clean glass, sanitize cuntertops, clean and sanitize slicers, clean rotisserie oven and all parts to a shine, scrub down the hot bar, clean all 5 sinks, filter and clean fryer, clean drains etc..)
-make sure that all dishes are washed, rinsed and sanitized

There is more i'm sure, but remember that this was all while slicing for customers.

Our system wouldn't let me clock out without manager override. The managers on duty that day caught heck for not coming over to offer me a break. I was really tired and cranky by the end of the day... :ermm:

Last edited:
Oh good grief, Chief and Bakechef. That is ridiculous!

Last edited:
I feel bad for Rob. He is the one you have to go home to that night. I hope he was understanding. And yes, I do feel bad for you also. No one should be expected to do duties beyond the job he was hired for. If you title is "baker" then that should be your main job.

Is your store "union"? If so there should be a means of complaining without placing your job in jeopardy. What about sitting down with the manager and get a list of exactly what your job entails. It is time for the manager to step up and speak to those managers under him/her. Surely there is enough work in the bakery to keep you busy without killing yourself. And I hope you got paid overtime for those hours. :angel:

As a middle teen, work was always long, long hours, 12 or more, with no breaks. It was probably illegal as we were 16 years of age at the time. But we were young and strong, and didn't know about laws that protect the workers. We worked for a slave driver, whose adult son was a drunk, and mean spirited. He always came in hollering about something, whether there was anything amiss or not. I got one day off for the entire summer,and twice I had to work back-to-back shifts, which ran from 7 a.m.until about 11:30 at night.

We got the restaurant owner back though. I thought up a plan to quit on my best friend's birthday, which was Aug. 31st, with the excuse of needing to get ready for the upcoming school year. He worked along side me, and we both were going to quit. I also talked the morning and evening cooks to quit on that same day. We didn't give the owner more than a couple days notice.

There was a pinhead who worked at the hotel reception desk that thought he was all that, and liked to try and order us around. He always had a cocktail at the desk. Now I don't smoke, and never have, except that day we quit. As I walked out, a skinny 80 some pound 16 year old, I lit up a big cigar and puffed on it a bit. I walked past that receptionist and put out my cigar in his cocktail.

You get what you sow. Even a 16 year old can curtail operations if he gets a mind to do it. Don't know if the owner stayed in business long afterwards or not. For a buck-twenty-five and hour, and the way we were treated, I really didn't care, and really still don't.

But then again, we are supposed to forgive everyone. I haven't thought about that old man in better than 40 years. And he's just one of several over the years, that seemed to enjoy making worker's lives miserable.

I just don't understand that mentality.

Seeeeeeee; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom