"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-30-2015, 02:48 AM   #1
Master Chef

Ridiculous Work Expectations

I have a favor to ask everyone here with a clear conscience and who has held a job. I talked to a pharmacist today while waiting for meds for DW. This person told me that their shift was 11 1/2 hours long, with no breaks, I mean none. They are not allowed to have any beverages or food back in the pharmacy, and no breaks. I was told that to use the bathroom, they had to call upon other store employees to watch the pharmacy.

To me, these are abominable working conditions. Even in the U.S. Navy, when at sea, where we worked 12 hour shifts every day, we were given two ten minute breaks, and two meal breaks.

The favor, I don't know how to use sites like Twitter and don't have an account. But these hard working people need someone to tell of the draconian working conditions. They need a voice. The person I spoke with stated that they couldn't complain for fear of losing their job.

I don't know if all pharmacies have such working conditions, but I know that both Rite-Aid, and Family Fare pharmacies do.

I sometimes complain about my job, but it's not near as bad as what the pharmacists have to put up with. I've heard, but not directly, that Wal Mart is no better.

If someone knows how to use social media, then get the word out. Maybe if this goes viral, it will help.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 07:14 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I would suggest they look into contacting the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, part of the US Department of Labor. These working conditions may be illegal.

A bunch of people who aren't directly familiar with the situation making noise on social media would only be hearsay, which probably wouldn't be taken seriously. Hope this helps.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:20 AM   #3
Head Chef

I'd check the labor laws in Michigan before I go posting anywhere about that. Most states require breaks in any shift over 8 hours. Florida does and it's one of the worst as far as employee rights goes. Florida state laws are much more in favor of employers than employees. I know that in Florida the pharmacies in Wal-Mart close for lunch. Same with Mississippi and I do know for a fact they are allowed bathroom breaks there and the pharmacy closes when a pharmacist is not present(Fla too). I'm pretty sure that's a federal requirement, no pharmacist present, pharmacy must be closed.

I'd take what you were told with a HUGE grain of salt and do some checking before posting on social media.

As far as what GG said, she's correct and I believe it can be done anonymously. I think somebody was just BS'ing you for some reason. Anybody that is smart enough to make it thru school to be a pharmacist is smart enough to know their options.

Were you actually talking to a pharmacist or the pharmacy tech/assistant person? Not that it makes a difference, they are still a person and should have fair working conditions.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:28 AM   #4
Executive Chef

There is being allowed breaks and then there is taking them. Sometimes, in some places, if you push for your labor rights you may be pushing yourself out of a job. Sure, if you file a report, or show up with official documents, or whatever, your boss will probably grant you your breaks. But, next time the schedule is made you could very well get less hours, worse hours like all weekends or the crappier shifts....the work environment may become more hostile, etc....at this point people would probably leave because who would want to work there anyway?

Some places are like this...
Old 05-30-2015, 10:27 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Federal law requires a half hour break for any shift longer than 8 hours. Also a 10-15 minute break. I'd guess the conditions you cite are because there is only one person in the pharmacy where normally there would be two or three. That could be because the owner is cheap or that others didn't show up.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:33 AM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Federal law requires a half hour break for any shift longer than 8 hours. Also a 10-15 minute break. I'd guess the conditions you cite are because there is only one person in the pharmacy where normally there would be two or three. That could be because the owner is cheap or that others didn't show up.
Often, there is only one pharmacist. There are occasional days when there's a pharmacist, and a technician. I just detest corporations, including supermarkets that treat their employees like they are there simply to serve the employer, and have no life or needs of their own. It's too common in the work place.

I told a co-worker when he started at around age 20, all eager and gung ho that the employer will take everything you let them take, your time, your ideas, and much of you life. He knows now, that in most cases, that is too true. He certainly feels that way about his job, as I do.

I've worked for employers that treat their workers like valuable assets. Unfortunately, it was government contract work where when the contract was completed, you got laid off until the next contract came in.

My current boss is fond of saying - "If you don't like your job, quit and find another." Where I live, most people are making just a little over minimum wage. I'm making three times that, but have to put up with poor leadership, or should I say, non-existent leadership. But he does sign the paycheck, and signs our vacation requests and sick-leave requests. By law, the organization has to give us two fifteen minute breaks. We get an unpaid hour for lunch. Some days, I feel like I'd have been better off as a mattress tester.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:56 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Employees have become commodities. There used to be loyalty between companies and employees. When you retired, you got a gold watch for working at a company for your entire work life. That's a thing of the past.

Employees are hired and fired more easily to turn a buck. Employees feel no loyalty to a firm because the firm shows no loyalty to employees. You don't have careers any more, you have a series of temporary jobs that get you to retirement.
Old 05-30-2015, 12:33 PM   #8
Executive Chef

My current boss is fond of saying - "If you don't like your job, quit and find another."

Here in Canada, that statement is considered workplace harassment...
Old 05-30-2015, 11:47 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I worked 11 hours on Wednesday. It was only when I got home that I hadn't taken a bathroom break. I am self-employed. I have to finish what I am contracted to do. If it takes me 3 hours of 11 hours or 18 hours, that is my day. If I moan and grown, my "current boss" says "suck it up, buttercup. You're the one who opted to be self-employed."
Old 05-31-2015, 02:32 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Employees have become commodities. There used to be loyalty between companies and employees. When you retired, you got a gold watch for working at a company for your entire work life. That's a thing of the past.

Employees are hired and fired more easily to turn a buck. Employees feel no loyalty to a firm because the firm shows no loyalty to employees. You don't have careers any more, you have a series of temporary jobs that get you to retirement.
Andy, I once read that the first ten years of a college graduate's job history will show at least five to six jobs. When a raise is not longer considered a given each year, employees have no loyalty to the company. Onward they go to the next company that will pay them more. And the job applicant also expects promotions with a raise.