Ridin' the Rails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrsLMB

Executive Chef
At birth we boarded the train and met our parents, and believed they would always travel at our side.

However, at some station our parents will step down from the train, leaving us on this journey alone.

As time goes by, other people will board the train; and they will be significant (Our siblings, friends, Children, and even the love of our life).

Many will step down and leave a permanent vacuum.

Others will go so unnoticed that we don't realize that they vacated their seats!

This train ride will be full of joy, sorrow, fantasy, expectations, hellos, good-byes, and farewells.

Success consists of having a good relationship with all passengers . . . requiring that we give the best of ourselves.

The mystery to everyone is: We do not know at which station we ourselves will step down.

So, we must live in the best way - love, forgive, and offer the best of who we are.

It is important to do this because when the time comes for us to step down and leave our seat empty - - we should leave behind beautiful memories for those who will continue to travel on the train of life.

I wish you a joyful journey on the train of life.

I understand.

Life is meant for love and joy, and sometimes heartbreak. And we never know when someone will be torn away from us.

We must make every day, every moment count. I always tell those I love that I do love them, and I try to do something kind for strangers. Life is too short, and it is best spent on kindness.

Thanks MrsLMB. That was very thought-provoking.

Himself and his cousin are about a week apart in age. So, of course, when they each became Dads the kids were born about the same time. Senior year, their oldest daughter died in a car crash. When we went to the funeral the huge church was filled, with more people lining the aisles and back. Teachers, students, friends and family, and community leaders. The priest mentioned at how "Mary" had touched so many with her kindness, her interest in others, and her willingness to help in any situation. He said words that have stayed with me ever since: Fill Your Church. If we don't make a positive impact on those around us, how important are we really?

I've loved this ever since I first read it. It's titled "Life Is Like A Journey On A Train". It was then and is now a very thoughtful piece of writing.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention again, it was beautifully written several years ago.

Thanks MrsLMB. That was very thought-provoking.

Himself and his cousin are about a week apart in age. So, of course, when they each became Dads the kids were born about the same time. Senior year, their oldest daughter died in a car crash. When we went to the funeral the huge church was filled, with more people lining the aisles and back. Teachers, students, friends and family, and community leaders. The priest mentioned at how "Mary" had touched so many with her kindness, her interest in others, and her willingness to help in any situation. He said words that have stayed with me ever since: Fill Your Church. If we don't make a positive impact on those around us, how important are we really?

Indeed. My first hubby suffered from awful depression, and he killed himself. My daughter was a college student and this was awfully difficult.

I have since remarried, but I reach out to spouses and families of those of the mentally ill through NAMI.

I am grateful that I can reach to some. Our church is awesome and so helpful to those in pain. I help there, too.

I don't want to simply be a passenger. Strap me to the engine. :)

The Train of Life
by Marv Hardin

Some folks ride the train of life,
looking out the rear,
Watching miles of life roll by,
and marking every year.

They sit in sad remembrance,
of wasted days gone by,
And curse their life for what it was,
and hang their head and cry.

But I don't concern myself with that,
I took a different bent,