"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-30-2009, 01:08 PM   #11
Everymom

JoeV, when someone says "don't take it the wrong way" it generally means they expect you to do just that. And it does not go against my core values to enforce the rules around here, I wouldn't have accepted the position if it did. The issue is that people I thought were friends often cannot see past their own ideas to see that I am doing what I have been asked to do. And as to other forums, yep Joe, seen 'em and think they leave a lot to be desired. And as for friends, I'm not looking for new ones, if they come along YAY, if they don't I'm good with that. I don't need an online forum to make friends, I have lots of those in real life. Perhaps I was unclear before, when I said "retain friends". I like to chat and enjoy things here, I don't enjoy the constant barrage of complaints about the rules set down by the owner of the site. I think it is juvenile and petty. I also don't enjoy having my every post nitpicked.

It sounds like you are questioning my integrity with that last post. Is that your intent or am I misinterpreting you?

Claire, sorry to hijack.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:27 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
JoeV, when someone says "don't take it the wrong way" it generally means they expect you to do just that. And it does not go against my core values to enforce the rules around here, I wouldn't have accepted the position if it did. The issue is that people I thought were friends often cannot see past their own ideas to see that I am doing what I have been asked to do. And as to other forums, yep Joe, seen 'em and think they leave a lot to be desired. And as for friends, I'm not looking for new ones, if they come along YAY, if they don't I'm good with that. I don't need an online forum to make friends, I have lots of those in real life. Perhaps I was unclear before, when I said "retain friends". I like to chat and enjoy things here, I don't enjoy the constant barrage of complaints about the rules set down by the owner of the site. I think it is juvenile and petty. I also don't enjoy having my every post nitpicked.

It sounds like you are questioning my integrity with that last post. Is that your intent or am I misinterpreting you?

Claire, sorry to hijack.
You absolutely took it the wrong way. It sounded to me like you were compromising relationships to maintain the site's rules, and regretted losing friends in the process. I was just presenting my opinion in that regard, which obviously is subject to scrutiny every time I do so.

Sorry to get your BP up. I thought I presented my thoughts in a non-threatening manner, but it's obvious I either failed or you don't care for my opinions.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:36 PM   #13
Everymom

You didn't get my BP up. I tend to ask those questions to make sure I haven't misinterpreted things. Glad you clarified. Does it bother you to have someone ask that kind of question? I find it is the most direct method of finding out whether or not I have misinterpreted someones writing. As for you giving your opinion, well I wasn't aware that was what the thread was about. (And your opinion, while non threatening has the flavour of advice, not merely an opinion) As for whether I care for your opinion or not, does it matter? I thought we were sharing moments when we did the right thing even though it might have "felt" wrong at the time or vice versa. Did I misread the OP?

See, here I thought I was doing the "right" thing by posting and yet now I feel it was "wrong" because Joe appears offended by my posts and direct question.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:34 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

no comment
Old 01-30-2009, 04:51 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Right thing / wrong thing defines my entire 2008. I was contemplating turning my boss in to the IRS because of the level of shadiness that these people were / are doing. Turned out they lie like there's no tomorrow and now I'm facing felony charges. In the end, I did turn them into the IRS, before they accused me, but I've now also turned them in to the state and three other states where they've obtained licenses under false pretenses. Was I wrong for turning them in? I don't know but I do know them lying that I stole the company credit card isn't right. I took a job, it was to support my family. I ended up working for the Devil incarnate; maybe being unemployed a little longer would have been the better bet.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:17 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

i think you did the right thing. sorry you are having a hard time over it. maybe that is why more people don't do the right thing.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:03 PM   #17
Head Chef

Even in law, there is the court of equity and the court of law. When there are rules but exceptions are carved out for when the law does not accommodate certain situations where an outcome would wrong if the rule were to be strictly applied.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:14 PM   #18
Head Chef

right thing/wrong thing

Are there ever absolutes?
Murder is wrong but what about self-defense?

What matters most to me is if I can live with the choices that I make. I try to do the right thing but I am an imperfect person. I try to learn from my mistakes and I try not to be too rigid. No one is always going to make the right choice all the time. You make the best choice you can with the information you have at that given point in time. That is called, "being a grown up".