RIP, Joan Rivers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's sad for her family that she's gone, but I'm not broken up about it. Why? Am I a Cruella Deville? Nope. It's just that three of my friends have lost their Dads since last week Friday. It's been a rough week for friends of mine. I'll let Joan's family and friends take care of the mourning for her.

Godspeed to the Dads of Emily, Nancy and Maribeth. I know they'll miss their Dads as much as I miss mine...

CG...you are not a Cruella. The loss of your friends' fathers is your real life, not one of a celebrity on the news. I'm sorry to hear about so many losses in one week. :(

Last edited:
Thanks Cheryl. All their dads had lived long and fulfilling lives, and my friends have many joyous memories of their loved ones. We all have to go sometime - hopefully we've all had the same kind of impact on those we love.

It's sad for her family that she's gone, but I'm not broken up about it. Why? Am I a Cruella Deville? Nope. It's just that three of my friends have lost their Dads since last week Friday. It's been a rough week for friends of mine. I'll let Joan's family and friends take care of the mourning for her.

Godspeed to the Dads of Emily, Nancy and Maribeth. I know they'll miss their Dads as much as I miss mine...

Not a Cruella at all. I don't "mourn" celebrity passing, for the simple reason that they were not someone that I was personally close to. I do see them as real people with real lives in spite of their public persona. These people have others who love and cherish them and I always think of their families and how hard it is for them to mourn properly with sleezy paparazzi chasing them around.

I was a little surprised to hear Prince Charles recently pay tribute to her, saying she was an extraordinary person who had an unstoppable zest for life. :) (I guess I thought royalty might find her vulgar).

Last edited:
I love this: “When I die (and yes, Melissa, that day will come; and yes, Melissa, everything’s in your name) I want my funeral to be a huge show biz affair with lights, cameras, action …
“I want Craft services. I want paparazzi. I want publicists making a scene! I want it to be Hollywood all the way. I don’t want some rabbi rambling on; I want Meryl Streep crying, in five different accents. I don’t want a eulogy; I want Bobby Vinton to pick up my head and sing “Mr. Lonely.”
I want to look gorgeous, better dead than I do alive. I want to be buried in a Valentino gown and I want Harry Winston to make me a toe tag. And I want a wind machine so that even in the casket my hair is blowing like Beyonce’s.”

Thanks for this Dawg...she made me laugh one last time.

BTW, I posted this yesterday but it disappeared. Something's wrong, as I've heard others say the same lately on other subjects.

Wonder if what happened to you is what happened to me, Kayelle. I tried to post the original from FB, but nothing showed up. I had to copy and paste the text without the picture, and then repost it.

Last edited:
I was a little surprised to hear Prince Charles recently pay tribute to her, saying she was an extraordinary person who had an unstoppable zest for life. :) (I guess I thought royalty might find her vulgar).

creative, I thought you might like to see this video clip from a morning show this morning. A friend of Joan Rivers who was also a comedian accompanied her on a trip to visit Prince Charles and Camilla four years ago and spoke about it on the show: Kathy Griffin remembers Joan Rivers' royal relationship - Entertainment - TODAY.com

Yes GG, when I came to do the above post, I did a little research and found out that Joan was no stranger to the royals. It might shock some monarchy fans to think of this connection! Ha!

(Prince Charles really loved Spike Milligan too). :yum: :cool:

creative, I thought you might like to see this video clip from a morning show this morning. A friend of Joan Rivers who was also a comedian accompanied her on a trip to visit Prince Charles and Camilla four years ago and spoke about it on the show: Kathy Griffin remembers Joan Rivers' royal relationship - Entertainment - TODAY.com

I saw that too GG.....I never miss the Today Show. It's the first time I've seen Kathy Griffin so likable. She will certainly miss her friend.

Jimmy Fallon almost broke into tears on his show last night, I would not have thought less of him if he had.

I saw that too GG.....I never miss the Today Show. It's the first time I've seen Kathy Griffin so likable. She will certainly miss her friend.

Kathy Griffin is another one of those comedians that comes of brash and offensive, but has a heart of gold.

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Kathy Griffin is another one of those comedians that comes of brash and offensive, but has a heart of gold.

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Isn't it funny that female comics can be termed brash and offensive, but we have the likes of Don Rickles, Andrew Dice Clay, and Redd Foxx? I love most comediens, though Lisa Lampanelli and Andrew Dice Clay kinda turn my stomach. I've never found ADC funny at all. Misogynistic little creep.

Last edited:
I remember a study we discussed in a psychology class I took back in my single days. The control group of strangers was together in a room listening to excerpts of comedy bits by Don Rickles and Bill Cosby. When the Rickles cut played the test subjects didn't interact with each other, instead they acted uncomfortable and kept to themselves. When the Cosby cut was played the people laughed out loud and were visibly more relaxed, interacting with each other about what was being said by Cosby. I've always preferred the Cosbys of the world - give me soft and fuzzy comedy.

Isn't it funny that female comics can be termed brash and offensive, but we have the likes of Don Rickles, Andrew Dice Clay, and Redd Foxx? I love most comediens, though Lisa Lampanelli and Andrew Dice Clay kinda turn my stomach. I've never found ADC funny at all. Misogynistic little creep.

I have a very thick skin and I am not easily offended, but Andrew Dice Clay and Lisa Lampanelli just don't appeal to me. When a joke just relies on shock value over wit, I don't often find it funny. People usually laugh at these things for two reasons, they are so uncomfortable that it's an involuntary reaction or they agree with the offensive thing that the person said.

Maybe people in general expect a more nurturing, softer approach from women, and when they don't get that, they are labeled more harshly. Many people aren't comfortable with things that are different and need to find a way to label them to make the pill easier to swallow.

I have a very thick skin and I am not easily offended, but Andrew Dice Clay and Lisa Lampanelli just don't appeal to me. When a joke just relies on shock value over wit, I don't often find it funny. People usually laugh at these things for two reasons, they are so uncomfortable that it's an involuntary reaction or they agree with the offensive thing that the person said.

Maybe people in general expect a more nurturing, softer approach from women, and when they don't get that, they are labeled more harshly. Many people aren't comfortable with things that are different and need to find a way to label them to make the pill easier to swallow.

I think female comics in general are more self-deprecating. Males can more easily get away with making fun of others. Joan could do both.

Back
Top Bottom